Nomad Sea Kayaking
Nomad Sea Kayaking is a run locally by outdoor enthusiasts Kurt Finch and Richard Abbott and their team. They provide kayaking tours and courses that allow you to see Suffolk from a totally different perspective.
All of the sessions below are available to add to your self-catering holiday in Suffolk in our Holiday Extras section.
Kayak Taster Session
Fun for all the family. Enjoy 2 hours of kayaking in a non-tidal, freshwater environment. All equipment is provided. Expect to get wet!
If you've never tried kayaking or haven't been on the water for a long time, come down and have a go! You'll be provided a sit-on-top kayak (Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro), a fast and stable boat. You'll also have your own buoyancy aid and paddle and two hours on the water (or longer if we're not busy) to do your own thing. One of our shore based staff will be on site to keep an eye on you and there is RIB safety boat cover on the water.
The event is held on inland non-tidal fresh water and there are good facilities on site including free parking, toilets and showers and a cafe offering hot food and drinks. Two hours on the water - unguided, unaccompanied.
- Launch Location: Alton Water Sports Centre
- Equipment provided: Sit on Top Kayak, paddle and buoyancy aid
- Parking: Free on site
Various dates available. Booking essential.
Individual price of £24.99 per personGroup/Family ticket for up to 4 people £64.99
Kayak from Shotley to Pin Mill
This is a lovely trip for beginners in one of the most popular areas on the east coast, following the tide up the estuary to Pin Mill for lunch and a drink. The journey is gentle and no particular fitness or skills are needed. Parking is included at Shotley Marina.
Shotley Marina is a large and modern marina with excellent facilities including secure parking and a good pub with hot food. We launch from the outside pontoon at Shotley Marina and paddle around the shoal and into the mouth of the Orwell River. This is just across from where most of the heavy goods and containers are loaded for shipping from Felixstowe Container Terminal and across to Europe and the world. Once past the busy commercial area the scenery changes dramatically from commerce to Suffolk countryside with green pastures and hills on either side of the Orwell estuary. Sixteen years of age and over.
- Launch location: Shotley Marina, Shotley (sometimes reversed to accommodate a following tide)
- Departure time: 11am. Kayakers - Final times will be confirmed a week prior to the trip based on the tides at the launch site. Hikers - Departure time is as stated.
- Equipment: Sit-on-top kayak, buoyancy aid & paddle
- Parking: Free on site.
- Additional Notes: Please view the 'Weather Update' for any notes from your Lead Guide leading up to your event i.e. launch times confirmation, weather, tides, notes et cetera.
£79.99 per person
Kayak from Pin Mill to Woolverstone
A relaxed and easy trip for anyone who wants to try paddling for the first time.
This Trip is designed for our older, less fit guests who have never paddled before and want a short and easy trip whilst enjoying the renowned beauty of the Orwell estuary. Woolverstone Marina is a well provisioned modern Marina with parking, a restaurant and beautiful local walks.
Guests meet at Woolverstone Marina where they'll be allocated their sit-on-top kayak, paddle and buoyancy aid and then receive a briefing from their Guide. Once launched the group will have an opportunity to spend a few minutes to paddle about and get used to their kayaks before setting off to Pin Mill. The trip follows the tide i.e. down the estuary with the tide or following the tide up towards Woolverstone Marina making the paddling much easier.This is a child friendly event with children under 16 accompanying the legal guardians on double sit-on-top kayaks.
This trip is relaxed and laid back with a Guide leading the way and taking care of the guests. Bring along some cash for parking and pub and/or packed lunch, sun hat and glasses and leave your electronics behind unless they are waterproofed and float.
- Launch location: Woolverstone Marina
- Departure time: 11am. Kayakers - Final times will be confirmed a week prior to the trip based on the tides at the launch site.
- Equipment: SOT, paddle and buoyancy aid supplied.
- Parking: Pay and display, 30 pence per hour at Pin Mill and £4 at Woolverstone (guideline only).
- Additional Notes: Please bring along extra warm clothing, hat, gloves et cetera, whatever you need to stay warm. In very hot weather please bring sun hat, sun cream and sun glasses. Guests are responsible for any losses of equipment throughout the event so we recommend leaving your electronics onshore unless it's is waterproofed and secured. The more expensive the item, the quicker it sinks!!
£59.99 per personGroup discounts available for groups of 6 or more
Sea Kayak Seal Colony Trip
Join us for this memorable experience, visiting a wild seal colony. Not to be missed!
A great trip to a wild seal colony over a total distance of 7 nautical miles. We depart Dovercourt beach (just past Harwich cricket club) and paddle south east down the coast towards the Walton backwaters. We don’t divulge the whereabouts of the colony for obvious reasons and we maintain a strict interaction policy, that is the seals approach us. Your Lead Guide will give you information about the seals habits before we enter the area and he/she will take questions when you leave.Once we’ve spent some time with the seals we paddle to Stone Point to break for lunch on the beach and a well deserved break. We return to Dovercourt in the afternoon heading directly across the bay for a deep water return paddle. This is a one off trip that you'll find difficult to do on your own; a most memorable experience. Sixteen years of age and over.
- Launch location: Dovercourt beach, Harwich
- Departure time: 10am. Kayakers - Final times will be confirmed a week prior to the trip based on the tides at the launch site.
- Equipment: Sit-on-top kayak, buoyancy aid & paddle
- Parking: Free on site or pay & display.
£89.99 per seatGroup discounts available
Bespoke Private Group Event
This is a tailored kayaking or hiking trip designed to the customers brief. Simply email specify Private Group Event when adding this Holiday Extra to your booking and Nomad Sea Kayaking will be in touch to discuss your requirments;1. date/s required2. approximate headcount3. age range 4. overnight wild camping or day trip5. hike, kayak or both
The Operations Manager will then design your perfect event for you and provide a price based on your exact specification. We offer any combination of day hiking, day kayak trips or a combination of either activity with an overnight camp and open wood fire. We cater to all abilities and ages and remember that children can join on non tidal waters (inland waters) accompanied by their parent or guardian.
Prices are based on numbers so the bigger the group, the lower the price per head and weekdays are always cheaper so well worth considering. We provide your kayak, paddle and buoyancy aid and we can even provide and pitch your tent for an overnight camp so all you need do is turn up after your paddle or hike and chill out in our beautiful outdoors.
Minimum group size is six (6) guests and we can cater to groups of twelve (12) to sixteen (16) guests quite easily.
We ask all of our guests to participate in a beach clean of any beach we land on during your event, usually at the end of our lunch break. Please bring along a strong bin bag and gloves (if they need them) to help us with the beach clean.
Obviously this isn’t compulsory but we all use the environment and we want to take care of it for future visitors and the marine wildlife that live there. After all, this is our coastline.