Gorgeous, colourful and located close to Aldeburgh's High Street and beach, Edinburgh Cottage is spacious and just oozes character. It should really be called Aldeburgh Cottage as it epitomises everything fun and jolly about this seaside town - quirky, individual, and characterful, it's like Aldeburgh on Carnival day, only without the floats.
SNAPE MALTINGS 5.5 miles (9km), ORFORD 11.5 miles (18.5 km), RSPB MINSMERE 11 miles (17.5 km), SOUTHWOLD 18 miles (29 km)
Style: Colourful, quirky and quite unique, Edinburgh Cottage is warm and welcoming, brightly furnished with many individual and eclectic pieces.
The Property: Edinburgh Cottage is a delightful cottage, situated just seconds? walk from both Aldeburgh?s High Street and its beach. Each room has a character of its own. The ground floor is mainly a large, bright and airy open-plan room incorporating two sitting areas, the dining area and small kitchen. There is also a downstairs wc. Upstairs the three bedrooms are spacious, one even having its own roll-topped, claw-footed, free-standing bath!
Sleeps: Five, in one king, one double and one single bedroom.
Ideal for: A family, or two couples looking to enjoy all that this delightful seaside town has to offer - especially the restaurants!
Out and About: From Edinburgh Cottage it's only a matter of seconds to walk to both the beach and Aldeburgh's vibrant High Street, with independent shops, boutiques and eateries galore. Head south down the High Street and you'll find yourself on the broad expanse of marshes with views across the Alde River. If a day on the water appeals, take a trip with Aldeburgh River Trips to explore this delightful estuary, or, if you're more of a land-lubber, enjoy the Sailor's Path to Snape - a 12-mile return trip, with Snape offering a good choice of pubs and cafes for lunch.
Head to the beach and turn left and a pleasant 1.5 mile stroll along the beach (stick to the path unless you're really in the mood for a workout!) will bring you to the charming holiday village of Thorpeness. There's much fun to be had rowing or punting on Thorpeness Meare, a forty-acre lake, no more than three feet deep, with islands themed around Peter Pan; perfect for adventures and imagination!
Want to venture further afield? Less than thirty minutes in the car will find you in Southwold, another pretty seaside town, complete with pier and sandy beach, or Walberswick, a gorgeous village, complete with beach, sandy dunes and beach huts; start at one and take the footbridge or footferry across the River Blyth to visit the other. Or if you fancy immersing yourself in nature, head to Dunwich Heath and the RSPB reserve at Minsmere - home of red deer, and an immense variety of birdlife including marsh harrier, avocet, and bittern.
A 10-minute drive inland brings you to the world-famous concert hall at Snape Maltings, which hosts concerts, events and exhibitions almost year-round, highlights of the year being the Aldeburgh Festival in late Spring, and the Snape Proms in the Summer.
Eating and Drinking: Aldeburgh has some great restaurants, The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. There's Red Ziggy's on the High Street if the kids are badgering you for burgers, and a Prezzo. For lighter lunches you've got the cafe in Aldeburgh Market on the High Street, (where you can also stock up on goodies for a picnic), Munchies, where you can eat in or take away, Cragg Sisters Tea Room, and the Choppings Hill Bakery & Tea Room. Of course don't forget the world-renowned fish and chips, available from two chippies on the High Street. It's a matter of opinion which are best, so why not try both - you are on holiday after all! You can always make up for it with a walk along the beach.
Self Catering: Along with the usual Co-op you've got an award-winning deli in Lawsons plus the Aldeburgh Market (it's not really a market but a shop and cafe). Staying in Edinburgh Cottage, you are less than a minute's walk from the fresh fish sheds on the beach, where you can choose from the daily catch. There are several good farm shops nearby, Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just off the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market on the A12 at Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings where you can also buy Pump Street Bakery bread and cakes from Orford.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at our website Visit Aldeburgh.
- Sleeps 5
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Large, airy, open-plan room, incorporating two sitting areas, a dining area, and a small kitchen
- In the sitting areas are two sofas, four armchairs, pouffes, coffee and occasional tables, and a flatscreen television with Freeview and a DVD player and Wifi
- The dining area has a long, narrow dining table, with seating for 8
- The kitchen area is small and includes a gas cooker with oven, hob and grill, butler sink, washing machine, dishwasher, Fridge Freezer, microwave, kettle & toaster,
- A hallway with hanging hooks leads to a large w.c. with washbasin
- The stairs to the first floor are straight except for a turn at the top, and reasonably steep. There is a handrail.
- Bedroom with single bed, dressing table and mirror, beanbag and hanging hooks
- Bedroom with king-sized bed, bedside units and lamps, small wardrobe, chest of drawers, table with mirror and chair, and wooden shutters
- Bedroom with double bed, claw-footed rolltop bath, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, mirror, hanging hooks and coat hangers. Wooden window shutters.
- Spacious bathroom with claw-footed rolltop bath, walk-in shower, wc and washbasin
- Bedlinen and towels are provided, but please bring your own beachtowels
- One well-behaved pet is welcome
- Sorry, but smoking is not permitted in Edinburgh Cottage
- Central heating and electricity included
- Please note that some local pubs and restaurants have closed down in recent months with little or no notice. Do please check with the establishment in question if a visit there is crucial to your choice of property.
- There is a washing machine.
- Parking permits for the surrounding car parks can be purchased from Suffolk Coastal District Council. There are offices in Woodbridge and Felixstowe if you wish to purchase and collect in person. These can be ordered over the phone by calling 01394 383789 and posted to you second class, we therefore recommend that you book these well in advance. Opening hours: Mon-Wed 8.45 am - 5 pm, Thurs 9.30 am - 5.30 pm, Fri 8.45 am - 4.30 pm.
- There is a tiny but very charming and private courtyard at the back of the cottage
A most enjoyable stay. Lovely cottage & very homely.Guppy family - 30th March 2016
We had a wonderful stay in your delightful cottage. So much thought and personality has gone into the decor. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.Rose family - 5th November 2015
Lovely quirky cottage in a fantastic location. We had a fantastic break.Bridget T, Suffolk - 14th September 2015
Wonderful stay - can't fault it! Feeling totally relaxed after a long weekend.Jamieson family - 18th April 2015
It was like sleeping on clouds! Wonderfully comfortable. Eclectic paradise.Clarke family - 12th October 2014
Enjoyed our stay. TheÂ cottage was full of character and in a fab location.Elizabeth M, London - 15th June 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.