DescriptionThis wonderful seaside cottage enjoys exquisite views of the sea from both the sitting room and bedroom, a haven for anyone with an artistic bent. This is a cottage with a fine history of artistic inspiration - author E.M. Forster worked here in the 1950s, whilst today it is the part-time home of artist Tessa Henderson.
SNAPE 5 miles (8 km), ORFORD 12 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 20 miles (33 km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (39 km)
About the property: Gallery Cottage shares the best of both worlds. With wonderful views over Aldeburgh beach and the sea, it has a large and very comfortable first floor sitting room with ample space for writers, composers and artists to work and the rest of us to simply relax. Almost unique amongst Aldeburgh sea-front cottages, Gallery Cottage has a very private and attractive courtyard garden with outside shower - just what you need after a dip in the sea. Whatever the weather Gallery Cottage will please - its eclectic collection of books and paintings, views over the ever-changing Suffolk seascape and relaxing feel provides the perfect antidote to work.
Parking: There is on-street parking directly outside the cottage, however this is limited to 2 hours. Parking permits for the surrounding car parks can be purchased from Suffolk Coastal District Council. There are offices in Woodbridge and Felixstowe if you wish to purchase and collect in person. These can be ordered over the phone by calling 01394 383789 and posted to you second class; we therefore recommend that you book these well in advance. Opening hours: Mon - Wed 8.45am - 5pm, Thurs 9.30am - 5.30pm, Fri 8.45am - 4.30pm. Alternatively, free parking can be found behind the High Street.
This Cottage is Ideal for: Couples looking for a relaxed break by the sea. Lie in bed and listen to the waves through an open window. Sit out in the sun on the private decked area - perfect with a glass of wine. Don't forget to bring your bikes to cycle the historic Suffolk coastline.
The Surroundings: You can see the sea from Gallery Cottage, located directly across the road; great for spontaneous picnics and walks. During the day, the plethora of shops on the Aldeburgh High Street await, along with some charming coffee shops and restaurants.
Aldeburgh, a favourite seaside escape for artists, musicians and those with a penchant for fine food, is a pretty Victorian coastal resort. The inspiration for much of Benjamin Britten's music and centre for his creation, The Aldeburgh Festival, the little town still plays host to concerts, film, theatre and poetry festivals. In the heart of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Aldeburgh is an ideal location for bird watchers, walkers and of course sailors. The estuary, marshes and shingle banks are home to a wide variety of wildlife and there are sailing and yacht clubs at nearby Slaughden as well as the famous Aldeburgh and Thorpeness heathland golf courses just a few minutes drive from Gallery Cottage.
Eating and Drinking out: There are plenty of pubs, restaurants and tearooms to choose from, all within a stones throw of Gallery Cottage. The White Lion Hotel has sea views and a traditional menu and Prezzo provides a relaxed, friendly atmosphere for all ages.
For slightly more formal dining try Regatta or The Lighthouse. However, no trip to Suffolk could be complete without trying the world-class Aldeburgh fish and chips. There are two great fish and chip shops in Aldeburgh high street; you may have to queue but it will be well worth the wait.
Self Catering Eating: In the High Street you will find all the holiday provisions and treats you need; butchers, bakers, greengrocers, Lawson's Delicatessen, a Co-op general store and, of course, there is no shortage of fish sheds dotted along the beach, selling freshly-caught seafood throughout the day.
The pretty little town of Orford, situated on the rivers Alde and Ore is a 20-minute pleasant drive through rural Suffolk and well worth a visit. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and continue to supply freshly smoked fish every day, and the award winning Pump Street Bakery has the most amazing breads and pastries. Snape Maltings is a mere 5 miles away with The Food Hall and Farmers Market.
Alternatively, most of the major super markets will deliver to this address. For more ideas on places to visit and things to do, please see our information websites Visit Aldeburgh, Visit Orford and Visit Southwold.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Saturday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Door leads from the garden into the kitchen with dining table and 3 chairs, feature stove and easy chair, galley kitchen with fitted units including large fridge with one freezer tray, gas hob and electric fan oven, dishwasher, and ample cooking equipment. There is also a TV.
- Door through to shower room with shower, basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Utility area with washing machine and microwave
- Stairs lead to the 1st floor
- Sleeping platform ideal for private reading or lazy day dreams
- Sitting room with wonderful views over Aldeburgh beach and the sea. A spacious and extremely comfortable sitting room, its walls decorated by pictures, two sofas and chairs, occasional tables and a large desk and book cases - a wonderful space in which to write, compose or sketch. There is also a TV showing Freeview.
- Stairs lead to the 2nd floor
- Double bedded room with more wonderful views over the beach and the sea. There is a chaise longue, dressing table and fitted cupboard
- Beyond the bedroom is a large en-suite bathroom with free standing roll top bath, wash basin, bidet, w.c. and heated towel rail
- A private pathway leads to the cottage in front of which is an enclosed patio garden, accessed by steps, with shrubs and trees; the decked area is furnished with table and chairs
- There is a shower on the patio, ideal for swimmers to wash off before entering the cottage
- Central heating, bed linen and towels are included, please bring your own beach towels. There is a hair dryer at the property as well as an iron and ironing board and Dyson hoover.
- There is a phone at the cottage tel 01728454503. If used for outgoing calls please put money in the honesty box. Mobile signal is limited in Aldeburgh, signal is better upstairs in Gallery Cottage rather than downstairs.
- An unlimited wifi connection is provided.
- The White Hart - tel. 01728 453205
- The Mill Inn - tel. 01728 452563.
- The Cross Keys Inn - tel. 01728 452637. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- There is parking outside Gallery Cottage however this is limited to 1 hour. Parking permits for the surrounding car parks can be purchased from Suffolk Coastal District Council. There are offices in Woodbridge and Felixstowe if you wish to purchase and collect in person. These can be ordered over the phone by calling 01394 383789 and posted to you second class, we therefore recommend that you book these well in advance. Opening hours: Mon-Wed 8.45 am - 5 pm, Thurs 9.30 am - 5.30 pm, Fri 8.45 am - 4.30 pm.
It really was perfect. We both work in the arts so it was lovely to be in a house full of art and books. The location was fantastic - being able to see the sea from the bedroom was heaven. I'm SO glad I decided not to look on Airbnb! I needed this break to be special and it absolutely was. Thanks also for your efficient service. Ms Amanda Fitzwilliams - 11th October 2017
We have really enjoyed our stay at Gallery Cottage and has been a comfortable and welcoming home for us over the past few days.A previous customer - 19th September 2015
We booked this cottage at very short notice for our first weekend away as a couple. Thank you for letting us come and visit - it has been completely idyllic. The cottage is cosy and characterful and we loved waking up to the beautiful views and the morning sun streaming in. We've had a lovely relaxing and romantic time here and Aldeburgh has already become a special place for us.A previous customer - 31st May 2015
The cottage is a magical place to rest. Thank you once again for the use of your beautiful, peaceful home.A previous customer - 22nd March 2015
Fantastic two weeks of sheer bliss - lovely cottage - Thank you.A previous customer - 7th November 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.