DescriptionA charming and spacious cottage on Aldeburgh High Street. The delightful features make this a perfect getaway all year round. So well equipped for family holidays by the sea. A great location if you want to be at the centre of things.
SNAPE 5 miles (8 km), ORFORD 12 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 20 miles (33 km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (39 km)
About the Property: Raymond Cottage is the ideal coastal retreat. Perfectly located, the beach is less than a minutes walk away. Brimming with character from the exposed beams and homely touches, the cottage is cosy and comfortable, you will instantly feel at ease. On entering through the stable door you come to a lobby space, large enough to provide storage for all beach paraphernalia - from buckets and spades, to chairs, coats and wellies. The spacious open plan kitchen/dining area is ideal for larger families, you certainly won't be fighting for space.
The cottage benefits from a ground floor shower room, ideal for washing down after long days spent on the beach, enter through the courtyard and you need not worry about getting anything wet! Although situated on the High Street, once inside you would hardly notice. Set down slightly from road level, a sense of privacy is felt, whilst still being able to watch the world go by.
About the Area: Aldeburgh, a favourite seaside escape for artists, musicians and families yearning for those special holiday breaks of yesteryear, is a pretty Victorian coastal resort. The inspiration for much of Benjamin Britten's music and centre for his creation - The Aldeburgh Festival - the little town still plays host to concerts, film, theatre and poetry festivals. In the heart of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Aldeburgh is an ideal location for bird watchers, walkers and of course sailors. The estuary, marshes and shingle banks are home to a wide variety of wildlife and there are sailing and yacht clubs at nearby Slaughden. Of course, for the avid shopper, Aldeburgh High Street offers a plethora of delights, ranging from well known stores to independent gems.
If you're feeling adventurous, walk a short stretch along the beach where you will find the quaint holiday village of Thorpeness. The Meare is a beautiful forty-acre rowing lake, hire a boat and keep the children entertained for at least an hour or so as they explored the Peter Pan themed islands!
A mere 30 minute drive up the coast will take you to the famous Southwold. A visit to the pier is a must, as well as browsing the many shops on the high street. Here you will also find a sandy beach, great for a day trip out. Of course, if you're wanting to explore further, take the foot-ferry and cross the River Blyth to reach Walberswick.
For those nature lovers, simply head to Dunwich Heath and the RSPB reserve at Minsmere - home of Red Deer, and an immense variety of birdlife including Marsh Harrier, Avocet, and Bittern.
Eating Out: Aldeburgh has some fantastic restaurants, some with beach-front locations; The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular for lunches and supper - offering freshly cooked, locally supplied produce. Prezzo is a good option for eating at any time of the day, especially for families, and the café in Aldeburgh Market on the High Street always proves popular. Munchies, Cragg Sisters Tea Room and the Choppings Hill Bakery & Tea Room offer both eat in or take away. Last but not least are the world-renowned fish and chips, available from two shops on the High Street, (both just along the road in either direction from Raymond Cottage!) a year round winner, you may have to queue, but they are worth the wait!
Self Catering: Along with the usual Co-op, Lawsons is an award-winning deli and the Aldeburgh Market are very good (it's not really a market but a shop and café). Staying at Raymond Cottage, you are less than a 5 minute walk from the fresh fish stands on the beach, the best place to find fresh produce caught daily. There are also several good farm shops nearby, Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just off the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market on the A12 at Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings where you can also buy Pump Street Bakery bread and cakes from Orford.
For more information on the area, please visit our website Visit Aldeburgh.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Entrance lobby with plenty of coat-hooks and shelving, crabbing equipment, beach chairs, buckets and spades, windbreak and cricket set.
- Sitting room with two sofas, TV with Freeview, DVD player, coffee table, coal-effect fire, selection of CDs, DVDs and games.
- Dining area with table and 6 chairs. iPod dock.
- Fitted kitchen and breakfast bar with fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, electric hob and separate oven, toaster, microwave and kettle.
- A door from the kitchen leads to the ground floor shower room with shower, w.c. and washbasin.
- Door to tiny patio with table and two chairs, bench and gated access to High Street. An ideal place for storing bikes.
- An open staircase leads up to the first floor.
- Landing with full length mirror and chest of drawers. Doors lead off to the bedrooms and bathroom.
- Double bedroom with wardrobe, chest of drawers, hair dryer, wall mounted mirror, bedside tables and lamps and sink.
- Twin bedroom with wardrobe, bedside tables and lamp and wall mirror. Views overlooking the Aldeburgh High Street.
- Twin bedroom with bedside tables, lamp and mirror, with views over Aldeburgh High Street.
- Bathroom with bath, w.c. and washbasin.
- Tiny patio with access to High Street
- N.B.: there is an open staircase which makes the cottage not suitable for toddlers
- A limited broadband / wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please do bring your own beach towels.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in Raymond Cottage.
- Parking: There is on street parking outside the cottage, good for unloading bags, but this is limited to 2 hours. Parking permits for the surrounding car parks can be purchased from Suffolk Coastal District Council. There are offices in Woodbridge and Felixstowe if you wish to purchase and collect in person. These can be ordered over the phone by calling 01394 383789 and posted to you second class, we therefore recommend that you book these well in advance. Opening hours: Mon-Wed 8.45 am - 5 pm, Thurs 9.30 am - 5.30 pm, Fri 8.45 am - 4.30 pm.
Very nice cottage ideally located in the center of the village.Mr Ulrich Lange - 22nd August 2017
It's aÂ very pleasant and well equipped cottage in a delightful town.Wendy H, London - 19th May 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.