DescriptionOverlooking the old town of Aldeburgh, and set in mature gardens, this wonderful artist's studio has been transformed to create a stylish art deco beach-style home of great comfort and convenience. The property has a suntrap balcony for summer and is cosy and warm in winter, making it perfect for any time of the year.
SNAPE 5 miles (8 km), ORFORD 12 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 20 miles (33 km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (39 km)
About this property: The Studio is ideal for that very special seaside holiday where comfort and taste are an integral part of the experience.
Set in the heart of the delightful seaside town of Aldeburgh, just a few minutes' walk from the beach, this wonderful art deco artist's studio has been lovingly and tastefully restored to create the perfect state-of-the-art retreat for a really comfortable self catering holiday, suited to all seasons. An enormous first floor south facing balcony overlooks the garden and the sea beyond, whilst the patio has views over the fenced and very private garden.
Ideal for: Sleeping 6, The Studio would best suit those looking for an air of sophistication whilst holidaying in Aldeburgh, and would suit either a group of friends or a family. There is also room for one well-behaved dog should your four-legged friend be joining you.
Setting: Aldeburgh, a favourite seaside escape for artists, musicians and families yearning for those special holiday breaks of yesteryear, is a pretty Victorian coastal resort. The inspiration for much of Benjamin Britten's music and centre for his creation - The Aldeburgh Festival - the little town still plays host to concerts, film, theatre and poetry festivals.
In the heart of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Aldeburgh is an ideal location for bird watchers, walkers and of course sailors. The estuary, marshes and shingle banks are home to a wide variety of wildlife and there are sailing and yacht clubs at nearby Slaughden as well as the famous Aldeburgh and Thorpeness heathland golf courses just a few minutes' drive from The Studio. For more information on the area please see Visit Aldeburgh.
Parking: To reduce congestion in Fawcett Road, please park inside the gates on the gravel whenever you can. Up to three or four cars can park easily. If you explore and need to use public car parks, a weekly season ticket from Tourist Information (in High Street opposite cinema) is valid in the two Aldeburgh Long Stay car parks (at North and South ends of town) and in all other Suffolk Coastal District car parks.
Exploring: The Studio is perfectly situated for exploring; with just a few minutes walk away from the High Street and incredibly close to the beach, you won?t need to travel far to discover the delights of this idyllic seaside town. Whatever your holiday interests, Aldeburgh offers a number of activities just waiting to be explored!
The Aldeburgh Golf Club is just up the road, perfect for any keen golfer. If you?re into fishing, make sure to get down to the beach! From sole, flounder and school bass in the summer to cod in winter, make sure to pack your rods. For sailors there is both a yacht and sailing club with sailing on the estuary and the sea, whilst those with an occasional interest in boating can enjoy boating on the Meare at Thorpeness. Walkers, cyclists and bird watchers can enjoy a myriad of unique habitats from heath and meadow land to coastal landscapes, estuary mudflats to woodland footpaths, all in a single walk.
Eating and Drinking Out: Aldeburgh offers a variety of pubs, restaurants and tearooms to choose from. The White Lion Hotel has sea views and a traditional menu and Prezzo provides a relaxed, friendly atmosphere for all ages. For slightly more formal dining try Regatta or The Lighthouse. However, no trip to Suffolk could be complete without trying the town?s world-class fish and chips: there are two great fish and chip shops in Aldeburgh high street, both with a fantastic reputation... you may have to queue at busy lunchtime periods but it will be well worth the wait!
Self Catering: Aldeburgh has two Co-op stores with one situated on the High Street, just a few minutes away from The Studio. Several shops sell top quality local produce - Lawsons delicatessen is a must as is Aldeburgh Market. Fresh fish, lobsters and crabs can be bought from the sheds on Aldeburgh beach. With an Independent wine shop, butcher and baker, Aldeburgh caters for most needs! Snape Maltings is also only a few miles away with The Food Hall and Farmers Market.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The elegant hallway with sideboard and cloaks cupboard opens onto an inner hall.
- The kitchen has been planned for good dining and includes gas hob, two ovens with grills, fitted microwave, double sink, dishwasher, toaster, kettle, cafetiere, Smeg fridge freezer and washer dryer.
- The kitchen adjoins the dining room where there is a butcher's trolley
- Dining room with round table and six chairs, granite-topped dresser and sideboard with wine rack, telephone for calls to UK landlines only (free) and wi-fi, small portable radio.
- There is a ground floor bathroom with roll topped bath, a fixed shower and hand held shower, wash hand basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Double bedroom with fitted cupboard, double bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, chair, TV showing Freeview. Double doors divide the two bedrooms
- A door from the hall leads into the twin room with single bed and further bed stored beneath which can be used as a double or twins, chest of drawers, TV with over 70 Freeview channels, DVD player, Ipod dock, wardrobe, doors onto the terrace
- Stairs from the kitchen lead to the first floor
- An East Coast folding high chair with 5-point safety harness is available
- The open plan first floor has been delightfully converted to create a really spacious sitting room with three sets of French doors opening onto the balcony
- A screen divides the bedroom, which has a double bed, bedside tables and lamps and wardrobe from the main sitting area. The bedroom has an en-suite shower room with w.c., washhand basin and heated towel rail
- Fortnum and Mason's art deco furniture (1935) includes bookcases, desk and chair and sideboards. There are three sofas, large linen press, Flat screen TV (Freeview over 70 channels), BluRay/DVD, books, analogue radio, CD and tape player. A door leads to the head of the external spiral staircase with access to the garden
- Wooden floors and rugs throughout add to the feeling of space
- The balcony is really an extension of the sitting room. Six folding chairs, bistro style table and a deck chair are available throughout the summer. The end of the balcony is screened with bamboo. Views over the garden and the sea. A wonderful space for a drink after a day on the beach
- There is a large terrace with table and 6 chairs, and parasol. Beyond the terrace is the mature garden with trees, shrubs and large lawned area. The garden is fenced (5 - 6 feet high close boarded) and gated. N B A small dog might find its way out but it is secure for larger dogs. There is also a retractable washing line.
- Parking - wooden gates open onto a shingle drive with parking for at least 3 cars (including 4x4s). Care is needed accessing the gates if the street has many cars parked in it. There is no garage.
- PLEASE NOTE: The laburnum trees (poisonous) in the garden have now been removed and a childproof gate has been fitted to the bottom of the outside spiral staircase.
- Fridge fills and welcome packs can be arranged via Thorpeness Village Stores
- A Weber charcoal BBQ and supplies of charcoal are available.
- Gas central heating, bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring own beach towels. Unlimited WiFi is provided, and free UK landline calls can be made. All duvets and pillows are synthetic. Small hairdryer provided as well as an iron and ironing board and hoover.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the property
- Ye Olde Cross Keys - tel. 01728 452637
- The Mill Inn - tel. 01728 452563. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- The Garden Studio has been adapted to provide further space. There is a billiard table and sofa. A separate key for it will be found in The Studio itself. It will not be suitable for sleeping in, but it does have lights and a small electric heater and is well insulated and warm. A folding Playpen is now available in the Garden Studio as well as an artist's easel.
- We and our owners are committed to sustainable tourism. Here at The Studio a 3.3 kW PV array has been installed on the flat roof (so you won't see it). On sunny days all or most of any electricity used comes from this. There is a rectifier under the stairs and this occasionally hums like a fridge. Exceeding Building Standards insulation and with a great deal of south facing glazing you can be warm and cosy throughout the year without creating a negative impact on the environment.
- You too can support environmental initiative by turning off lights and adjusting the heating when you are too warm.
We had a lovely break at Aldeburgh once again and it was very nice to stay in a new property. Ms Juliet Franks - 15th September 2017
First time we have used Suffolk Cottage Holidays. We like what they have to offer and the level of their service and would certainly use them again. Mr Anthony Tuckwell - 14th August 2017
The house was clean, the linen was fresh, and the house was brilliantly set up - home from home.Victoria A, Woodbridge - 20th August 2016
It was a very special 'haven'. We loved being close to everything, yet having such a tranquil oasis as our base. We will certainly be returning to Aldeburgh and can't imagine wanting to stay anywhere other than The Studio.Geraldine C, London - 22nd September 2015
Lovely relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings. Accommodation was extremely peaceful and serene. Will recommend to friends. Planning another visit.Jennings family - 11th August 2015
The cottage was well described and a very pleasant place to stay. It was a lovely house, well located and we loved being able to explore Aldeburgh, Snape and Thorpeness. The house was very well equipped, comfortable and warm.Tim W, Norfolk - 21st August 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.