Special Offers: A fantastic opportunity to spend time together with family on the farm in Suffolk. Enjoy a 10% discount on any holidays taken up until the end of June. Give us a ring on 01394 389189 to redeem.
Reduced Occupancy Offer - This property can also be booked for 4 people, using 2 bedrooms only. For full details, please see property ref: SFSPW4.
Set in a beautiful and remote corner of Suffolk on a 600 acre farm with pedigree Southdown sheep, a small herd of Irish Moiled cattle, hens and guinea fowl. This attractive barn conversion now provides spacious and extremely comfortable holiday accommodation for six, all on the ground floor.
HALESWORTH 6 miles (9.6km), BUNGAY 6 miles, SOUTHWOLD 14 miles (22.5km), MINSMERE 17 miles (27.3KM), Framlingham 17 miles
About the property: This centuries-old cottage started life as a cartshed and retains a wealth of original features. Beamed and with vaulted ceilings, the cottage has a traditional wood burning stove as well as central heating. All accommodation is on the ground floor and will suit any group, from families with babies and toddlers to those with some mobility restrictions (the second bathroom includes a wet room shower, assistance rails and shower chair).
Grounds: French windows lead onto a fenced garden, beyond which is the moat. The garden includes a lovely sun terrace as well as a good variety of attractive planting and small grassed area. A gate leads to a gravel track beyond which are the grazing meadows with sheep and cattle including Northern Dairy Shorthorn and Irish Moile cattle and a small flock of Devon Closewool sheep, both listed on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust (RBST) Watchlist. Children love Shepherds Watch, not only is the house family friendly but there is so much to see and do around and about Shepherds Watch. Visit the sheep and the hens, roam the fields and watch the cows, play on the toddler toys in the yard or jump on the trampoline! - see below for more details.
*Be sure to keep up to date with all the latest rare breed news on the monthly Shepherds Watch blog*
Minimum Hire: 3 nights except in high season when it is a week.
Parking: There is parking for at least 3 cars.
This property is ideal for any age group: There is a full sized table tennis table in the roofed "hovel" as well as a dart board and basketball net. There are a number of grass tracks around the farm and visitors are welcome to wander as they wish - PLEASE CLOSE GATES BEHIND YOU. Beyond the farm is a comprehensive network of footpaths meandering around The 'Saints' - a series of small villages all with their own fascinating church. This is a wonderful area to explore either on foot or by bicycle.
For the Children and the young at heart: Youngsters will love their holiday at Shepherd's Watch, whether they visit in the depths of winter or high summer. Lambing starts in early January and continues through to the middle of February. Calves are born in the spring and turned out onto the grazing meadows in late spring. Hens (of various exotic breeds) and guinea fowl roam the grounds and there are even rare breed turkeys. Swallows nest in the stables and the barns. There are kingfishers on the moat, hares in the fields and a pair of barn owls living in the woods beside the paddock. There is large fenced garden behind the farmhouse which all ages are welcome to enjoy with swing, swing boat and trampoline and a summer house.
Shepherds Watch owners are very happy for visitors to get involved with life on the farm - from bottle feeding the lambs to watching the sheering, or simply taking a private tour of the farm and learning more about the importance of maintaining some of the UK's finest rare breeds. But don't worry if farming is not your thing you can simply enjoy the countryside and the coast of Suffolk.
Self Catering: The kitchen is well equipped and the welcome cake delicious. Guests are welcome to collect their own fresh eggs from the nest boxes. Home produced beef, lamb and eggs can be purchased from the farm.
Nearby Halesworth is home to two good butchers, good greengrocers and a large Co-op supermarket as well as other small convenience stores.
Eating and drinking out: If you would rather eat out there is an excellent choice of pubs and restaurants in the area including Cleones Italian Restaurant, at The Angel, Halesworth, offering authentic Italian food, including delicious homemade pizzas straight from the oven, and generous portions of homemade pasta. All vegetables and meat are sourced locally and the pub also serves a good traditional menu. Booking is necessary to avoid disappointment.
Just twenty minutes away is Bungay where you will also be spoilt for choice. The Olive Tree, near Bungay, another great Italian restaurant or The Castle Inn, The Bahn Thai or traditional Fish and Chips from the Golden House in Earsham Street.
St Peters Brewery is worth a visit with brewery tours are available.
For further information on the things to do and places to visit in the area, please look at our own online guides Visit Southwold and Visit North Suffolk.
- Hot tub
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 5.9 miles
- Nearest pub 5.9 miles
- 14.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the ground floor
- Entrance to Shepherd's Watch is via two steps or a gentle ramp
- The hall has hooks for coats etc and plenty of space for storing walking boots, buckets and spades
- The living room is open plan. The L shaped kitchen is well equipped with electric oven and hob, microwave, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge with small freezer compartment (a large freezer is also available), filter coffee maker.
- The dining area has a stripped pine table and six chairs and open shelving and cupboards with amply cutlery and china
- The sitting room has two sofas and two armchairs, traditional log burning stove, coffee tables and lamps, flat screen TV and DVD, side table with CD, stereo, maps, games and a large store of DVDs. French doors lead out to the garden
- Bedroom 1 has twin beds zipped together as a super king, bedside cabinets and lamps, chest of drawers, wardrobe, a large selection of books. Windows to two sides of the room make this a sunny room ( for twin beds, please request at time of booking)
- Beside bedroom 1 is the family bathroom with w.c. (with grab rails) and basin, large wetroom shower (with grab rails) and seat (suitable for those with some disabilities), heated towel rail
- Bedroom 2 - A double bedroom with en suite bathroom. King sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers with CD player and wardrobe
- The en suite bathroom has bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Bedroom 3 - A twin bedded room with lamps, chest of drawers and wardrobe
- The garden is reached via french doors from the sitting room or via a fenced and walkway from the front of the cottage
- The garden includes a large terrace with table and chairs, parasol and barbecue. There are two wooden loungers with cushions. The garden is attractively planted and includes a grassed area. It is fully fenced and gated.
- Beyond the garden gate is a sheltered garden bench
- Paths beyond the gate lead to the fields, the vegetable garden and the chicken houses.
- A path from the front of the cottage leads through to the farm garden where there is a trampoline, swing and swing boat and summer house - all of which are available for guest use
- There is a covered area with lighting to the side of the cottage with table tennis table, darts and some toddler's toys
- Sheep and cattle graze in the paddocks so please do close all gates after you
- There is private parking in the yard beside the cottage for three or more cars
- Bed linen and towels, underfloor and central heating are provided
- A wooden cot and high chair are provided (please bring bedding for the cot). There is a hair dryer. All bedding is hypo-allergenic and synthetic.
- WiFi is available for your laptop but should not be relied on heavily for work usage and can be slow.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the cottage
- A limited broadband/wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|2nd June 2017 - 21st July 2017||£816.00|
|21st July 2017 - 1st September 2017||£1,005.00|
|1st September 2017 - 29th September 2017||£816.00|
|29th September 2017 - 20th October 2017||£729.00|
|20th October 2017 - 27th October 2017||£816.00|
|27th October 2017 - 22nd December 2017||£642.00|
|22nd December 2017 - 6th January 2018||£1,047.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
Comfortable and accessible cottage in a beautiful locationJulie J, West Yorkshire - 12th March 2016
Thank you so much for all of your lovely welcome gifts - we all appreciated the Easter Eggs! We have really enjoyed our stay and loved seeing all the animals, especially the lambs. Looking forward to our next time here, it has everything we could possibly want.A previous customer - 11th April 2015
Thanks for a great stay in your warm and lovely cottage! It's been such a relaxing break. Hope to come back very soonA previous customer - 11th January 2015
Thank you so much for a fantastic stay. What a beautiful cottage and so nice to arrive to cake and stocked store cupboard. So much to see and explore.A previous customer - 4th October 2014