Reduced Occupancy Offer - This property can also be booked for 4 people, using 2 bedrooms only. For full details, please see property ref: SFPRK4.
A postcard perfect, traditional thatched cottage at the top of the hill overlooking the picturesque village of Kersey and the surrounding countryside. Priory Holme is the inspiration for Puddle Duck Cottage in the Lilliput Lane pottery collection. A real treat. "Suffolk has dozens of beautiful villages, but none matches Kersey for sheer eye-catching perfection." The Times, Saturday July 23 2016. Described in The Observer on 24.12.2017 as a 'quintessentially English' Thatched Cottage.
Hadleigh 2.5 miles, Lavenham 8 miles, Flatford Mill 10 miles, Long Melford 13 miles, Sudbury 10 miles
Tudor, beamed and thatched with a large inglenook fireplace and log burning stove. You may have to duck your head under the odd beam but it is definitely worthwhile in order to holiday in this charming cottage.
Broad wooden oak floorboards upstairs with windows under the thatch. The staircase is relatively straight to the 2 bedrooms: twin and double (with en suite w.c. and washbasin).
The family bathroom is on the ground floor.
Traditional well equipped kitchen, sitting room with large dining area, and further sitting room/sofa-bedroom with well-stocked bookshelves for adults and children: this is a cottage in which to curl up with a book in front of the fire, or in the shade of a honeysuckle-covered arch.
Steps lead across the charming cottage garden to the old oak front door and the porch. To the rear of the cottage is a large and very attractive sunny garden with several private seating areas each with lovely views either over the rooftops of Kersey or the surrounding countryside. There is an area of orchard as well as lawns and a small fishpond with water lillies.
Considered one of Britain's 10 best villages, Kersey is a quintessential medieval village. In the heart of the Suffolk countryside just a couple of miles from Hadleigh, Kersey is one of England's finest chocolate box villages with a stunning hilltop church at one end, and an ancient ford running through its centre.
Walk gently up the road past The Bell and at the other end of this tiny village you will find Priory Holme which has the most perfect views you could wish for.
Surrounding Kersey are miles of quiet country lanes, ideal for walkers, cyclists and country lovers. Maps of local walks, guide books and other local information are available for guests.
Kersey is in the centre of the area known as the wool towns. Step back to the 15th century, Kersey was made famous and prosperous with the production of "Kersey cloth".
Stroll around the village of Kersey and you will see large first floor windows on the early Tudor houses; these were created to provide as much light as possible for the weavers who worked in their own homes. The ford, or 'the Splash' as the locals call it, is a tributary of the River Brett which flows through Hadleigh. It's a lovely spot in the summer and great for children who can paddle or feed the ducks.
Sit back and relax with a cup of coffee and home made cakes whilst the children play in the Farm Trails at Hollow Trees, just 5 minutes from Priory Holme; little ones will love the Fox Tunnel and feeding the goats while there's a large adventure area for older children with zip wires and tractor trails. There is a lovely farm shop and butchers there so you can get the shopping done before you go back to your holiday cottage.
Back in Kersey do look out for the fox's tail hanging outside one of the cottages - this indicated the horse doctor's house in past centuries.
If you continue up the hill, past the church, and then turn right you will also discover Kersey's well-stocked children's playground. But pause, if you can, at St Mary's, one of the loveliest of the Suffolk "wool" town churches. Inside, don't miss the remnant of its painted medieval Rood Screen, which was displayed in the Victoria and Albert Museum's 'Gothic' Exhibition.
The Kersey Bellis your local. Just 50 yards down the road, it is a great pub for a drink, a meal and a chat with the locals and staff, a really friendly lot. The Landlord has kindly allowed guests of Priory Holme to use the parking facilities during their stay but please do call to check availability or pop in for a drink or supper on arrival.
The cottage displays many examples of Kersey Pottery which until 2013 produced its distinctive and very attractive stoneware in the heart of the village.
Venturing further afield (Priory Holme is a great and very central base from which to explore the many delights of Suffolk), by car Kersey is virtually equidistant from Lavenham and Flatford. Within an easy drive are numerous lovely churches, National Trust properties, picturesque towns and villages, the wonderful Gainsborough House Museum in Sudbury and, of course, the Heritage Coast.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 2.6 miles
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 23.8 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The front door opens into a porch with hanging hooks and space for boots, shoes etc
- The sitting room has a large inglenook fireplace with log burning stove. A sofa and armchairs, bureau, coffee tables and lamps, flat screen TV with Freeview, DVD, and stereo are all provided
- The dining room has a large table and eight chairs. A staircase leads from the dining area to the first floor.
- From the sitting room a door opens into the kitchen which is cottage style with fitted units under the windows and freestanding antique dresser and corner cupboard for storage. There is an electric cooker, fridge, freezer, washer-dryer, toaster, microwave, juicer, small food processor and handmixer; the kitchen is very well equipped with china, cutlery, pots and pans
- The brand new ground floor bathroom has bath with overhead shower, wash basin and wc, towel rail
- A second sitting room overlooking the stunning rear garden has a comfortable sofa bed and bookshelves - fantastic collection of books - and works well as a quiet sitting room or occasional bedroom. The sofa bed sleeps 2; use of the downstairs garden room as a bedroom must be requested in advance,.
- There is a shower room with basin and w.c. off the second sitting room
- A straight staircase leads to the first floor
- Bedroom 1: A double bedded room bedside tables, hanging cupboard, chest of drawers, small dressing table and Victorian fireplace (no longer in use). There is an en-suite washroom with basin and w.c.
- Bedroom 2: A twin bedded room with bedside table and lamps, chest of drawers, cupboard and small coat stand for hanging clothes. Chest of toys and games to borrow
- Six shallow steps lead up from the gate to the front door. To either side is a perfect walled cottage garden.
- A couple of steps lead up from the paved terrace with dining table and chairs to the large back garden. Beautifully landscaped there are many areas of planting with flowers emerging through most of the year. Various bench-seating areas for different seasons and times of day. There is a small covered fishpond and a lovely orchard area with views of the magnificent countryside around Kersey.
- The garden is fenced all around, but the end is only wire-fenced so as not to obstruct the beautiful view over the surrounding countryside
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. Duvets provided are synthetic, with pillows both feather and synthetic. Special requests for synthetic bedding only can be accommodated. An iron and ironing board are available for use.
- Oil central heating throughout. Logs are available for the log burning stove.
- The cottage has a phone for incoming and emergency calls and a wifi router.
- Parking/unloading is available in the Street (where visitors are requested to avoid blocking the footpath and the village view from the seat by the water-pump). Alternatively guests are warmly encouraged to use the car park behind the nearby Bell Inn, which is available to holidaymakers at Priory Holme free of charge, by prior arrangement with the Landlords, David and Alison. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01473 823229. On-street parking is not difficult though; Kersey is very quiet, with little through-traffic and no buses or lorries because of the 'splash'.
- The Bell Inn - tel. 01473 823229. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- A travel cot and high chair can be made available at the property. Please bring your own bedding for the cot.
The property was lovely and the garden was beautiful. The weather was so good we could eat outside every day.Mrs Helen Irving - 25th May 2018
We have thoroughly enjoyed both the lovely cottage and the beautiful area. Thank you. Geoff and Liz - 15th September 2017
Idyllic place, all necessities thoughtfully provided. Enjoyed the garden and the artwork. Susan, Mary and Lee - 8th September 2017
A last minute booking and we struck gold! Beautiful cottage and homely inside - love it! Duncan and Katherine - 5th August 2017
Beautiful cottage and garden. Weather was wonderful so enjoyed the garden a lot! A wonderful haven of peace and calm. Just what we needed. Thanks! Gaynor and Alistair - 12th July 2017
A wonderful break in a delightful cottage. Charming country garden. All in all excellent condition. Doug and Pat - 29th June 2017
Like you're really living in a Lilliput Lane Cottage. Beautiful and comfortable, thank you. Ray and Roy - 15th May 2017
The cottage was an absolute delight, situated in a place than can only be described as perfect. We awoke on the Sunday morning to sunshine streaming through the window, burning off Saturday night's frost. It was worth the whole booking for that one moment. The locals were as friendly as can be, and the places we visited will remain as treasured memories.A previous customer - 24th April 2016
Very nice cottage. None of us wanted to leave!Rachel W, Suffolk - 4th September 2015
A wonderful quiet and comfortable few days. Kersey church is stunning.Carol - 24th August 2015
Really enjoyed staying in your fairytale cottage - loved the peace and the pretty gardens... lots of good meals out including the Bell in Kersey, Lindsey Rose and - for a grand finale - the Crown at Bildeston. Thank-you.A previous customer - 24th July 2015
Beautiful cottage and garden. Great base to explore. Lovely meals at the Bell.Â Thank-you for the warmly welcoming little touches!Claire & Stu - 15th October 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.