Reduced Occupancy Offer - This listing is for 4 people, using 2 bedrooms only. For full use of the house, please see ref: SFPRK where Priory Holme can be booked for 6 people.
Sitting high in the picturesque village of Kersey, with views of the surrounding countryside, Priory Holme is the perfect secret escape for two couples or a family. Within easy access of both Constable Country and Lavenham you really do feel as if you are stepping back in time in this pretty corner of Suffolk. "Suffolk has dozens of beautiful villages, but none matches Kersey for sheer eye-catching perfection." The Times, Saturday July 23 2016
HADLEIGH 2.5 miles, LAVENHAM 8 miles, FLATFORD MILL 10 miles, LONG MELFORD 13 miles, SUDBURY 10 miles
About the Property: Priory Holme holds strong Tudor roots, most of which are still visible today, including the grand thatched roof and the inglenook fireplace with wood burning stove. Exposed wooden beams too add to the character of the cottage, but do be sure to mind your head!
Loved by all who visit, Priory Holme is somewhat of a landmark in Kersey, with views of both the village below and the surrounding countryside. It was even the inspiration for Puddleduck Cottage in the Lilliput Lane pottery collection. The cottage displays many examples of Kersey Pottery which until 2013 produced its distinctive and very attractive stoneware in the village.
With plenty of entertaining rooms throughout, this cottage is the perfect place to curl up with a book in front of the fire (there's a selection to choose from in the well stocked bookcase), play a board game or simply enjoy a glass of wine. Sit in the ground floor garden room and look out at the surrounding countryside or enjoy a delicious home cooked meal in the sitting room with large dining area.
A delight in all seasons, enjoy the glorious garden come summer and watch the village of Kersey transform in a cosy light come winter.
Sleeps: 4 in 1 double and 1 twin OR 2 doubles. Please specify the arrangement you would prefer at the time of booking.
Priory Holme is also available as a sleeps 6 - please click here.
The grounds: Time has been taken to create the delightful and charming cottage garden that Priory Holme can call its own. The large and attractive sunny garden contains numerous private seating areas, each with their own picturesque view of the countryside and beyond. An orchard too can be found, as well as a small fishpond with water lilies. Keen painters will love hours spent capturing the many colours of all seasons.
Exploring: Considered on of Britain's 10 best villages, Kersey is a quintessential medieval village. In the heart of the Suffolk countryside just a couple of miles from Hadleigh, Kersey is one of England's finest chocolate box villages with a stunning hilltop church at one end, and an ancient ford running through its centre.
Walk gently up the road past The Bell and at the other end of this tiny village you will find Priory Holme which has the most perfect views you could wish for.
Surrounding Kersey are miles of quiet country lanes, ideal for walkers, cyclists and country lovers. Maps of local walks, guide books and other local information are available for guests.
Kersey is in the centre of the area known as the wool towns. Step back to the 15th century, Kersey was made famous and prosperous with the production of "Kersey cloth". Stroll around the village of Kersey and you will see large first floor windows on the early Tudor houses; these were created to provide as much light as possible for the weavers who worked in their own homes. The ford, or 'the Splash' as the locals call it, is a tributary of the River Brett which flows through Hadleigh. It's a lovely spot in the summer and great for children who can paddle or feed the ducks.
Do look out for the fox's tail hanging outside one of the cottages - this indicated the horse doctor's house in past centuries.
If you continue up the hill, past the church, and then turn right you will also discover Kersey's well-stocked children's playground. But pause, if you can, at St Mary's, one of the loveliest of the Suffolk "wool" town churches. Inside, don't miss the remnant of its painted medieval Rood Screen, which was displayed in the Victoria and Albert Museum's 'Gothic' Exhibition.
Things to Do: Sit back and relax with a cup of coffee and homemade cakes whilst the children play in the Farm Trails at Hollow Trees, just 5 minutes from Priory Holme; little ones will love the Fox Tunnel and feeding the goats while there's a large adventure area for older children with zip wires and tractor trails.
Venturing further afield (Priory Holme is a great and very central base from which to explore the many delights of Suffolk), by car Kersey is virtually equidistant from Lavenham and Flatford. Within an easy drive are numerous lovely churches, National Trust properties, picturesque towns and villages, the wonderful Gainsborough House Museum in Sudbury and, of course, the Heritage Coast.
Self catering: There is a lovely farm shop and butchers to also be found at Hollow Trees, as well as a supermarket and some local food shops in nearby Hadleigh.
Eating and Drinking out: The Kersey Bell is your local. Just 50 yards down the road, it is a great pub for a drink, a meal and a chat with the locals and staff, a really friendly lot. The Landlord has kindly allowed guests of Priory Holme to use the parking facilities during their stay but please do call to check availability or pop in for a drink or supper on arrival.
For more information on what to do and where to eat, head to our sister websites Visit Lavenham and Visit Constable Country.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 2.6 miles
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 23.8 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The front door opens into a porch with hanging hooks and space for boots, shoes etc
- The sitting room has a large inglenook fireplace with log burning stove. A sofa and armchairs, bureau and bookcase, coffee tables and lamps, flat screen TV with Freeview, DVD, and stereo are all provided
- The dining room has a large table and eight chairs. A staircase leads from the dining area to the stairs.
- From the sitting room a door opens into the kitchen which is cottage style with fitted units under the windows and freestanding antique dresser and corner cupboard for storage. There is an electric cooker, fridge, freezer, washer-dryer, toaster, microwave, juicer, small food processor and handmixer; the kitchen is very well equipped with china, cutlery, pots and pans
- The brand new ground floor bathroom has bath with overhead shower, wash basin and wc, towel rail
- A second sitting room overlooking the stunning rear garden has a comfortable sofa bed and bookshelves - fantastic collection of books - and works well as a quiet sitting room or occasional bedroom. The sofa bed sleeps 2; *use of the downstairs garden room as a bedroom must be requested in advance - otherwise the Twin Bedroom will be made up*.
- There is a shower room with basin and w.c. off the second sitting room
- After a few wide turns, a straight staircase leads to the first floor
- Bedroom 1: A double bedded room bedside tables, hanging cupboard, chest of drawers, small dressing table and Victorian fireplace (no longer in use). There is an en-suite washroom with basin and w.c.
- Bedroom 2: A twin bedded room with bedside table and lamps, chest of drawers, cupboard and small coat stand for hanging clothes. Chest of toys and games to borrow
- Please indicate on CUSTOMER NOTES which bedroom set-up you would prefer, in addition to the double bedroom upstairs: * twin beds upstairs plus a second garden-facing sitting room downstairs for quiet reading/as a playroom OR * downstairs double sofa bed and en suite (shower, washbasin and WC).
- Six shallow steps lead up from the gate to the front door. To either side is a perfect walled cottage garden.
- A couple of steps lead up from the paved terrace with dining table and chairs to the large back garden. Beautifully landscaped there are many areas of planting with flowers emerging through most of the year. Various bench-seating areas for different seasons and times of day. There is a small covered fishpond and a lovely orchard area with views of the magnificent countryside around Kersey.
- The garden is fenced all around, but the end is only wire-fenced so as not to obstruct the beautiful view over the surrounding countryside
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. Duvets provided are synthetic, with pillows both feather and synthetic. Special requests for synthetic bedding only can be accommodated. An iron and ironing board are available for use.
- Oil central heating throughout. Logs are available for the log burning stove.
- The cottage has a phone for incoming and emergency calls
- Parking/unloading is available in the Street (where visitors are requested to avoid blocking the footpath and the village view from the seat by the water-pump). Alternatively guests are warmly encouraged to use the car park behind the nearby Bell Inn, which is available to holidaymakers at Priory Holme free of charge, by prior arrangement with the Landlords, David and Alison. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01473 823229. On-street parking is not difficult though; Kersey is very quiet, with little through-traffic and no buses or lorries because of the 'splash'.
- The Bell Inn - tel. 01473 823229. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- A travel cot and high chair can be made available at the property. Please bring your own bedding for the cot.
Just to say a huge thank youÂ for allowing us to share your beautiful cottage for the last two weeks. It is a truly lovely cottage in a lovely village, in a lovely county. We have absolutely fallen in love with Suffolk and hope to come back again one day to continue our exploration. Hopefully we will be able to return to Priory Holme as it has provided us with the perfect base. We have enjoyed your beautiful garden - even had breakfast outside some mornings as the weather has been very kind to us. We have enjoyed feeding the fish ('just a little each day'!) and the birds. We spent ages watching a pheasant this morning! We did eat at 'The Bell' one evening and found the landlady/staff very friendly and helpful. The portions were certainly generous! We have also found lots of really excellent pubs throughout the area - helping to make our holiday even more enjoyable.A previous customer - 3rd October 2016
A charming cottage, which was very cosy and had a lot of atmosphere - perfect for a New Year weekend break. Some holiday cottages at this time of year can seem a bit bleak but certainly not Priory Holme.A previous customer - 1st January 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...