Spacious Suffolk countryside self catering holiday property. A fascinating Victorian threshing barn now delightfully converted with stunning vaulted dining hall, complete with first floor gallery, two lovely sitting rooms, heated outdoor pool (available from second Bank Holiday in May through to the end of the first week in September) and wonderful outdoor space for children of all ages; all set within beautiful countryside close to lovely mid Suffolk villages and some really excellent eateries. A perfect holiday location.
HADLEIGH 3.5 miles, MONKS ELEIGH 3 miles, LAVENHAM 6.5 miles, LONG MELFORD 12 miles, IPSWICH 12.5 miles
An old threshing barn sympathetically refurbished and retaining many fine features to create a wonderful holiday home for all the family.
The galleried dining hall is magnificent, the views stunning, the layout excellent. With three lounge areas, a large farmhouse kitchen and a dining room Old Barn would comfortably accommodate two families who want privacy as well as company.
French doors lead out to the heated swimming pool (shared with Stable Cottage) to the rear of the barn whilst at the front of the barn is a fenced private courtyard garden with shrubs and planting and a seating area with barbecue. The stable yard beyond has a great collection of toddler's toys including pedal tractors and dumper trucks.
Beyond the yard are acres of beautiful meadows, a superb fishing lake and large field with enormous play fort - the children will love it - and with all this space you can even enjoy a game of football.
The River Brett, Semer's ancient woods and the delightful little village of Kersey are all within a short walk.
Parking: There is plenty of off road parking.
Sleeps: 8 in 2 king sized doubles, 1 twin and 1 bunk bedded room. There is a full sized wooden cot.
Adults and children alike; babies are really well catered for with provision of stair gates, changing mat, cot, high chair etc..
Minimum Hire: Three nights; except in high season when it is a week in which case changeover is on a Friday.
Also: No smoking.
Eating and Drinking:
The wonderful farmhouse kitchen comes with an excellent supply of kitchen equipment, large fridge and ample freezer space, so cooking will be a joy.
Supplies of fresh local vegetables, free range meats etc., can be purchased near by at Hollow Trees Farm Shop where there is also an excellent cafe and farm walk for children.
The Bell in Kersey is a great traditional Suffolk pub (you might have seen it featured in the Meerkat advert) with good food and a really nice atmosphere.
For a really smart meal try The Bildeston Crown or the The Great House, Lavenham.
Flat screen TVs, DVD players and music centres. There is an excellent choice of DVDs and CDs for you to enjoy, as well as a really wide selection of books and games for all ages. Heated outdoor swimming pool available from Whitsun to beginning of September (weather permitting).
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots will be very useful so you can enjoy those beautiful countryside walks, a delight at any time of year. Bicycles if you like cycling, the country lanes are a delight. Bring your fishing rod if you fancy some carp fishing and don't forget beach towels, fishing nets, crabbing lines as you can reach the Suffolk coast in around forty minutes. And of course your swimming costume!
For more information on the area, please visit our very own information site, Visit Lavenham.
- Sleeps 8
- Swimming pool
- 4 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 2.6 miles
- Nearest pub 2.2 miles
- 24.4 miles from the coast
Ground Floor - comprising attractive and practical wooden, suffolk clay tile and flagstone flooring
- Utility room - the place to kick off boots and shoes with plenty of hooks for outdoor coats. Also houses a large fridge and separate freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer
- Kitchen: a large well-equipped farmhouse kitchen with rectangular kitchen table and 8 chairs, a highchair, 2-oven electric cooker, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, toaster and kettle. Sliding windows open to the dining room beyond
- A magnificent room with double height ceiling and gallery - the dining room has a large Victorian scrubbed pine dining table (10' x 4') and eight chairs (table will accommodate 14 with the addition of extra chairs) - so lots of room for Christmas/New Year's celebrations. There are also two church pews, a floor to ceiling bookcase with a large selection of books, side table and lamp. A sitting room is at one side of this room and accommodates one of the pews, a large white sofa, coffee table and rug. This area overlooks the cobbled patio to the front of the property. A good spot for reading the newspapers or relaxing after a meal. The other side of the dining room, floor to ceiling glass 'barn doors' overlook the courtyard and heated pool (available from second Bank Holiday in May through to the end of the first week in September)
- The generous drawing room has a wooden floor with rug, a wood burning stove, three large sofas, a chair, flat screen TV with DVD, stereo with CD player, coffee tables and lamps
- A playroom with separate cloakroom can be found directly off the sitting room. Young children in particular will have hours of fun here amongst all the toys and games
- The wooden staircase leading to the first floor is circular but is not steep and has a rail
- A changing table and mat is located in the lobby area of the staircase
- The staircase leads up to the gallery overlooking the dining room. This is heavily beamed and has a vaulted ceiling with large iron chandelier descending through the centre. A stair gate is provided
- Family bathroom, the only room on the first floor with wood laminate flooring, contains a bath with overhead electric shower, washbasin, WC, bidet storage cupboard and radiator with towel rail above
- Bedroom 1 : A double bedroom with king sized bed, bedside tables and lamps, fitted wardrobe, vaulted ceiling and east facing window with views over the meadows and lake. There is a full sized wooden cot available
- Bedroom 2: A bunk bedroom with bedside cupboard, wardrobe with drawers
- Follow the elegant gallery around (there is a single step) to
- Bedroom 3: a twin bedded room with bedside tables, wardrobe and two chairs. Door leading to shared ensuite shower room
- Bedroom 4: a double bedroom with king sized bed, bedside cupboards and lamps, wardrobe with shelves and hanging space, dressing table with mirror and chair. Door to shared en suite shower room. This room has views onto the courtyard and pool
- Jack and Jill/ensuite shower room with large corner shower, washbasin, WC and heated towel rail
- There is a first floor sitting room with sofa, armchair, sidetable with lamp and a telescope for investigating the night skies. This room enjoys magnificent views over the stableyard, surrounding fields and lake
- A gated sunny private terrace with barbecue and seating area
- French doors lead from the large dining room to the heated swimming pool(available from second Bank Holiday in May through to the end of the first week in September)
- Beyond the barn is the stable area, once home to National point and hunter chaser horses including several national champions. One of the stables now stores lots of outside toys which holidaymakers' children are welcome to use. There is a raised pond and fountain in the middle of the yard
- There is a large, well stocked fishing lake where holidaymakers are welcome to fish
- The track leads onto a large field with children's play fort and football goal post
- The rest of the farm is made over to pasture and meadow land and visitors are welcome to roam the fields and follow the paths to the river
- There are stables available to bring your horses should you wish to hack in the surrounding area, please enquire at time of booking.
- Full central heating throughout the property
- Bed linen and towels are provided. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it. Please bring your own towels for swimming. All duvets (summer and winter) and pillows are fibre filled so suitable for those with allergies.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the property
- Loads of parking in the drive
- The pool will be heated from mid May to the end of September (weather permitting)
- An unlimited broadband/wifi service is provided but should NOT be relied on for work use.
- The large rectangular pool (approx. 35' x 15') is heated between late-May and end September (weather depending). It is kept at a very comfortable 25 - 30 C and the depth ranges from 3' in the shallow end to 8' in the deep end where there is a diving board. The old courtyard is very private and a wonderful suntrap. There are a number of sun loungers/chairs available for soaking up the rays. The pool is for the sole use of guests during their stay.
Lovely property Ms Zoe Bishop - 22nd August 2018
The house really blew us out the water, the house is beautiful with such great entertaining space, not to mention the pool! We really had a blast staying so thank you! Miss Lily Fitzsimons - 5th June 2018
Could not really asked for much more, fantastic cottage, had everything you need. Â Kids loved the swimming pool, Daisy (the dog) loved the lake. Â Will definitely come again.Brett Family - 18th August 2016
I'm 75 and have had a few holidays. Â Only here for a three day celebration but the best accommodation we've had. Â Thanks a bunch!!Sean OM, Bedford - 24th June 2016
We have had the best holiday! The barn is amazing - so much more than we expected.Love the upstairs reading room. Have barely left the barn as swimming pool was so wonderful.... We are already planning our next visit to you!The Marray and Rodden family of Kent - 24th April 2016
Family friendly accommodation, fully equipped, spacious, home from home. The house was absolutely amazing andÂ homely. Perfect destination...we will certainly book it again. Loved it!Marianne C, London - 24th August 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Cookery Workshop and Entertainment
Have fun and learn some new skills with a cookery workshop from local chef Emma Crowhurst
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Norfolk & Suffolk Hot Tub Hire Hot Tub Hire
Hire a hot tub to use at your Suffolk property. Delivered on your day of arrival, these fun temporary hot tubs are a great way to enhance your stay. Price on...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.