This traditional Suffolk cottage enjoys a wonderful rural setting with views of the sea, just a couple of minutes walk from the beach. Perfect for holidays at any time of the year.
WESTLETON 2 miles, WALBERSWICK 2.5 miles (on foot), SOUTHWOLD 4 miles (on foot)
Style: A traditional Suffolk gamekeeper's cottage (semi-detached), just a few yards up the road from the fascinating seaside village of Dunwich.
Setting: Perfect! Up a quiet country lane just a couple of minutes walk from the sea, Bridge Cottage has views over Dunwich heath and Dunwich forest in three directions and the beach and the sea in the other.
The garden is populated by ancient apple trees, rabbits and visiting deer. There are woodpeckers, bullfinch, nightingale, kestrel and marsh harrier overhead and numerous country walks from the doorstep.
The House: There are three good sized bedrooms on the first floor, all with fantastic views over the surrounding heaths, forest and sea. There is a straight staircase with hand rails on both sides leading down to the hall, and from there into the sitting room with two sofas, open fire and the kitchen/dining room. The bathroom is on the ground floor, just off the kitchen.
Sleeps: 6 in 3 bedrooms.
Ideal for: Anyone wanting a really relaxing holiday. A place for winter walks, toasting chestnuts in the grate, reading good books (there are loads in the cottage) and playing chess or scrabble (there is a large table in the sitting room perfect for Christmas dinner or that never ending Monopoly game).
Bridge Cottage is not big on "boutique" but it is cosy and well equipped, the perfect holiday home for people with a love of the countryside and the coast. Walkers (with or without dogs), cyclists and birdwatchers (there is a bird hide just down the road) will love it. This is a stunning coastline in summer, thrilling in winter.
Children: Youngsters will love it: toys in the cupboard, big garden to play in - holidaying as it was 30 years ago, but not great for anyone who wants to spend their entire holiday surfing the net rather than the waves! Even the pier at Southwold has penny slot machines - a great day out.
Entertainment: There is a radio/CD player and a TV and DVD player in the sitting room. At nearby Aldeburgh and Snape you can enjoy concerts, ballet and opera throughout the year.
Blythburgh Church (a couple of miles) hosts Aldeburgh Festival concerts and there is a wonderful Summer Theatre at Southwold - a treat for all the family.
Once one of the most important towns on the east coast, Dunwich has, over the centuries, lost most of its churches, houses and its port to the sea. Now Dunwich is made up of a village street with excellent pub - The Ship - and museum (an absolute must for anyone staying at Bridge Cottage). The village has some fascinating church ruins and stunning crumbling cliffs, a couple of shops and an excellent fish and chip restaurant. The beach is shingle with sand at low tide.
RSPB Minsmere and Dunwich Heath (National Trust) are both just a short walk south along the coastal path. Follow the coastal path north and you will soon reach Walberswick (known by many as Chelsea-on-Sea for the many actors, directors, writers and painters who enjoy second homes in the village), and beyond it Southwold.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 7.5 miles
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Entering by the back door you walk straight into the kitchen / dining room where there is a table and chairs for six. A large, walk in larder, fitted units with electric 4 hob cooker, with double oven, a microwave, and toaster. There is a washing machine, dishwasher, fridge with small freezer above and airing rail. There is a Nespresso machine, please bring your own pods.
- A door from the kitchen leads into the bathroom with bath and overhead electric shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- The sitting room has two two-seater sofas, coffee table and open fire, fitted cupboards and shelving to either side of the fireplace have books and games
- There is a large table which can be used for dining, games or puzzles
- A door from the sitting room leads to a small hall and the front door. There is a desk in the hall with telephone and information on the area
- A straight staircase with rails on both sides leads to the first floor
- Bedroom 1 With a small double bed (4x6ft), bedside table and lamp, Lloyd Loom armchair, hooks, chest of drawers, with mirror. Views over Dunwich heath and the woods
- Bedroom 2 A twin room with two full sized single beds, bedside table and lamp, desk and chair, chest of drawers, built in cupboard with hanging space and book cases. Rural views over to the beach and the sea
- Bedroom 3 With a double bed, lamps and two chest of drawers and airing cupboard with hooks. Views over the garden and the heath. The travel cot and high chair are stored beneath the bed.
- The garden is fenced and gated (but not dog or deer proof) and is mainly laid to lawn with apple trees and some shrubs
- There is a small terrace outside the back door with a wooden picnic table. Further deckchairs and a barbecue are stored in the shed, along with some children's beach toys (they are old).
- Off road parking for one car at the back of the cottage. There is also a right of way over the neighbours garden and further cars can be parked in the garden
- There is plenty of room for bikes etc
- The cottage is heated by electric storage heaters and the open fire (please bring your own logs and coal)
- The nearest shop is the post office in Westleton, but there several excellent farm shops selling good local produce nearby.
- The Ship, Dunwich - tel. 01728 648 219. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- There is a high chair and travel cot at the property, but please provide your own bedding for the cot
- An unlimited broadband/wifi service is provided.
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|2nd June 2017 - 21st July 2017||£687.00|
|21st July 2017 - 1st September 2017||£894.00|
|1st September 2017 - 29th September 2017||£687.00|
|29th September 2017 - 20th October 2017||£591.00|
|20th October 2017 - 27th October 2017||£687.00|
|27th October 2017 - 22nd December 2017||£591.00|
|22nd December 2017 - 6th January 2018||£927.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
Thank you for the use of your lovely cottage for the weekend. What a lovely and peaceful setting. The cottage is warm and cosy and the whole family enjoyed the stay including our 2 dogs. We shall certainly come back again.Hughes Family - 21st October 2015
Your cottage is lovely. Just right for a walking holiday. Dogs have had a ball and so have we. Hope to come back next year.A previous customer - 22nd September 2015
Loved the cottage and especially the views across the field - rabbits, foxes, owls.... Set out on walks most days without using the car.Piper Family - 29th May 2015
A very comfortable, cosy cottage in an idyllic location. We loved it.Moisey Family - 16th September 2014