For the perfect mix of Suffolk countryside and coast - look no further than Barn Owl Retreat. Converted in 2016 the cottage enjoys uninterrupted views of the surrounding meadowland, which holidaymakers are welcome to explore. Holidaymakers and their dogs will really enjoy walking the many footpaths in the area, all within a 20 minute drive of Southwold on the Suffolk coast. Fishing enthusiasts also have access to a well stocked fishing lake.
ALDEBURGH 12 miles (19.3 km), DUNWICH 10 miles (16 km), SOUTHWOLD 16 miles (25.7 km), FRAMLINGHAM 8 miles (12.9 km)
About this Suffolk Cottage Holiday Property: Barn Owl Retreat is spacious and well equipped for two people. The open plan ground floor incorporates a light, airy kitchen and comfortable sitting area. On the first floor there is a lovely double bedroom with an en suite bathroom. Outside, enjoy the tranquil views of glorious fields from the comfort of a sheltered seating area, dine on the patio and relax and read in the delightful shepherd's hut - the perfect place to wile away an evening in the summer. There have been numerous sightings of barn owls flying over the fields which also double as the foreground to breathtaking sunsets.
Sleeps: Two in a double bed.
Parking: Off street parking on a private drive for 2 cars.
This property is ideal for: A couple looking for a countryside retreat.
This area of Suffolk is absolutely stunning. Set back from the A12 on the outskirts of Sibton, Barn Owl Retreat is perfect for soaking up the countryside away from hustle and bustle. With access to a fishing lake a short walk down the road, filled with common carp, mirror carp and rudd, Barn Owl Retreat is ideal for fishing enthusiasts or for those hoping to try their hand at the hobby. Also, holidaymakers are welcome to stretch their legs around the fields surrounding the property to enjoy the ample wildlife the different seasons bring. Bring the dog too and explore! (Please note, owners do request that dogs are kept on leads when walking the fields).
There?s also a lot to do in the local area, with the town of Saxmundham only 4 miles by car and the coast at Southwold less than a 30 minute drive away. The charming seaside town of Southwold is a must to visit with its 620ft pier and towering lighthouse. Just 8 miles away is the RSPB Minsmere Nature Reserve, home to BBC Springwatch between 2014 to 2016. Keen birdwatchers will need to keep a sharp eye out for bitterns, marsh harriers and otters. The Reserve covers sand and shingle beaches, marshland, wetland and woodland with hides dotted throughout the various habitats. The onsite cafe is also a must.
Further afield, Snape and Aldeburgh are famous for their music and food and both host festivals and events through the year which are well worth a visit. Also, both areas have excellent walking routes which are beautiful sights regardless of the season.
The area has a rich history, especially Framlingham, a mere 8 miles away, with its grand castle. There are several stately homes in the area to explore as well, many of which offer tours of the house and grounds.
Self catering eating: Peasenhall has a selection of small stores, a post office where you can buy freshly baked rolls and the nationally renowned deli, Emmett's. Also in the village you can find Creaseys Butchers and farm fruit and vegetables, all locally sourced. Weavers Tea Rooms is very good too and you can even buy cakes to takeaway. Saxmundham is the nearest town with both a Tesco and Waitrose store.
Eating out: If you fancy dining out, you won't have to travel far as the award winning Sibton White Horse pub is just a few minutes drive away. This area is rich in great pubs and restaurants so you will be spoiled for choice; some worth visiting include The Ship Inn at Dunwich, The Lighthouse at Aldeburgh, and The Plough and Sail at Snape Maltings.
For more information on the area, things to do and places to eat, please look at our online guides on Framlingham, Aldeburgh and Southwold.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- No WiFi
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 1.3 miles
- Nearest pub 1.9 miles
- 10.9 miles from the coast
- The front door opens onto an open plan living area. Sitting area with 2 three seater sofas, coffee table, wall mounted flat-screen TV with Sky+ HD, display cabinets and free standing lamp. A log burning stove sits in one corner with a starter pack of firewood in a basket. A bookcase that runs the length of the stair wall filled with a large selection of books for all ages including a variety of children?s fiction, crime novels, historical, non fiction and National Geographic magazines. For additional guests there is also a pull down double bed in a cupboard. Two sets of patio doors lead out to a gravel front garden in front of the drive
- Fully fitted kitchen area with an array of kitchen utensils and appliances such as a breadbin, kettle, 4-slice toaster, dishwasher and microwave. There is a 4 ring hob electric oven which has a grill. There is a small fridge with an ice box, and plenty of cupboard space for storing groceries during a stay. Dining table with seating for four. A window overlooks the back garden seating area and the fields beyond.
- There is a cupboard under the stairs which stores an iron, ironing board, clothes airer, hoover, duster, broom and a dustpan and brush. There is also outdoor cushions and a parasol as well as a selection of board games and puzzles.On the wall directly opposite the front door there is a set of hanging hooks for coats.
- Easy stairs lead to the first floor with a handrail on the left hand side. Please note the stairs are open to the right.
- Master bedroom with a standard, wooden-frame double bed with bedside tables either side with drawer space, bedside lamps, wooden dresser, mirror and occasional chair. A window looks out onto the drive and surrounding fields beyond. Two optional storage cupboards into the eaves of the building provide suitcase storage if required.
- En suite bathroom with a wash hand basin, w.c., heated towel rail, bathroom cupboard. There is walk-in shower, please note that this does has a low ceiling (height of 5ft 5?).
- Fully fenced gravel garden with a gate to the parking area. A lean-to/shed provides and excellent space for bike storage and also houses the mop and bucket.
- Outside tap for washing dogs
- Sheltered seating area with seating for four plus a table
- Outside table with parasol, seating for six
- Shepherds hut with double bed, two seats and pull down table
- Views of surrounding fields, sometimes home to horses
- The cottage is centrally heated with a wood burning stove in the sitting room. An initial supply of logs are provided.
- Bed linen and towels are provided, but please bring your own beach towels if you are planning a trip to the coast. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- 2 dogs are welcome. There are plenty of walks surrounding the cottage across the meadow land, but owners are kindly asked to keep their dogs on a lead.
- Private parking for up to 4 vehicles.
- In consideration of others, please do not smoke on the property.
Brilliant property, generous and spacious size, well planned and laid out, appealing decor, lots of attention to detail, spotlessly clean. It was our third visit in less than 2 years and I'm hoping for more as the area has so much to offer. Mrs Steph Keenan - 26th June 2018
We met the owners and walked the fields around the cottage, which was lovely. We will be going back.Mr Anthony Hubbard - 15th June 2018
Wonderful place to stay - peaceful and secluded but ideally positioned for discovering Suffolk.Mr Tony Bradford - 13th June 2018
Overall, the nature of the property and the surrounding local area provided a very relaxing environment and many very good dog walking opportunities. Suffolk Cottage Holidays provided a friendly, efficient and effective service throughout.Mr Richard Newman - 2nd May 2018
A superbly comfortable little hideaway. Perfect for a peaceful break away from the hustle and bustle. Great views of countryside and wildlife, namely the local barn owl. Very well situated for visiting well known attractions like RSPB Minsmere and Sutton Hoo. Also the surrounding villages. Miss Lisa Rollin - 9th November 2017
The holiday let is excellent and we love staying there as it is peaceful and comfortable and not to far to travel to places. The garden is very nice with a variety of seating options. The shepherds hut is fantastic for a quiet reading room if the weather is a bit cooler or wet or you need peace. We hope to return.Mr Richard Stone - 2nd October 2017
We were particularly impressed with Barn Owl Retreat. The cottage was clean, spacious and comfy. We really liked the garden, with its two seating areas and Shepherds Hut. And, of course, visits by the owners horses and donkey, and sightings of the barn owls made it a really special treat. We have never been to Suffolk before but it won't be our last visit, what a beautiful, pretty county.A holidaymaker - 21st June 2017
Perfect. A lovely, peaceful holiday let where you can relax and enjoy the peace and quiet and chill out. Plenty of places to visit nearby and the views across the fields with the resident Barn Owl are lovely. The hut is a lovely feature and makes a good reading room. We will return.A previous customer - 19th November 2016
So pleased we found Barn Owl Retreat on the internet. Loved our week, visited Southwold, Aldeburgh, Thorpeness, Dunwich and Walberswick!A previous customer - 31st October 2016
We enjoyed our week at the Barn Owl Retreat. A great base to visit all our favourite Suffolk places.A previous customer - 1st October 2016
Beautiful location, excellent barn. Enjoy the lake - great for fishing. A lovely holiday in Suffolk.A previous customer - 17th September 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.