Located in one of the prettiest streets in the coastal village of Orford, Anchor Cottage is steeped in tradition, wonderfully furnished to provide a comfortable holiday retreat throughout the year.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About the Property: Anchor Cottage is nestled in the heart of the village of Orford, perhaps the prettiest coastal village in Suffolk. The owners have completely refurbished the cottage adding ensuite cloakrooms for each of the two first floor bedrooms, a lovely family bathroom and large state of the art kitchen. There are log burning stoves in both the spacious beamed sitting room and dining room, adding to and complementing the comforting and welcoming feel of the property.
This property is ideal for: A small family or a group of friends. With the benefit of a ground floor single bedroom and bathroom, Anchor Cottage is suitable for those who may find stairs difficult. The large garden is a draw particularly in the summer months. Lined with fruit trees, take a wander and relax with a glass of wine. From here you can see St Bartholomew's Church, a grade one listed building with some particularly interesting ruins in the grounds, just around the corner from the property.
Exploring: Anchor Cottage is just a couple of hundred yards from Orford's quiet quay, with its constant attraction of small sailing crafts and yachts. Boat trips can be taken from the quay to Havergate Island and Orford Ness, as well as the Regardless boat trip from which you can enjoy wonderful views of Orford, the estuary and the sea.
One of the most attractive coastal villages on the East coast, Orford retains both a fascinating 12th century castle and church (a frequent venue for concerts and recitals). Well provided with a village shop, a fresh fish stall, craft shops, excellent restaurants and traditional pubs, everything you need is right on your doorstep. On the banks of the Ore, Orford is protected from the sea by a fascinating shingle bank, Orford Ness (run by the National Trust) which runs from Aldeburgh to the sea.
From Orford quay one can take a boat trip to Havergate Island, the first RSPB reserve and home of the avocet. Here you can find out about this strange and ever changing landscape, the many ground nesting and sea birds and trace the mysterious history of the area's war time occupation both for secret development of radar and munitions and in the defence of Britain.
Orford is within easy access of both Snape and the seaside town of Aldeburgh, where the Aldeburgh Festival began some fifty years ago.
Self-catering: You can buy all you want to eat in Orford and even order groceries to be there for your arrival from Orford General Store, and fetch the finest baked goods from the popular Pump Street Bakery. Of course, a short 20-30 minute drive away is the market town of Woodbridge, packed with independent shops and a small supermarket.
Eating and Drinking Out: Orford boasts two brilliant pubs, The King's Head and The Jolly Sailor. A good but unpretentious seafood restaurant, The Butley Orford Oysterage, is within 2 minutes' walk of Anchor Cottage. Woodbridge again also has a wide selection of pubs and eateries, should you feel like exploring.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 5
- 3 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The back door opens into a large, open plan, fully fitted kitchen with breakfast bar and stools. Includes dishwasher, washing machine, large fridge and freezer, ceramic hob, large oven and microwave.
- A door from the kitchen leads into the bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- There is a good sized entrance hall with lots of hooks and space for beach wear and boots.
- The ground floor single bedroom has one single bed, bedside table and wardrobe.
- The dining room has a large dining table and chairs, sideboard, occasional tables and lamps, hostess trolley, flat screen TV and iPod dock. There is also a wood burning stove.
- The sitting room has two sofas, arm chairs, a coffee table and occasional tables and lamps. There is a wood burning stove and a TV with DVD and CD player.
- Stairs from the dining room lead to the first floor.
- Bedroom 1 with double bed and bedside tables and lamps, large hanging cupboard and door to en-suite.
- En-suite cloakroom with built in shelving, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 2 with double bed and one single bed, bedside tables and lamps, wardrobe and door to en-suite.
- En-suite cloakroom with wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- A gate opens onto the drive with parking for at least one car.
- There is a large patio area with table 6 chairs, parasol, bench and barbecue.
- A path leads up the garden where there are large lawned areas, shrub borders and a small orchard. From there you will find a gate which leads through to the church.
- There is a charcoal barbecue provided, but please bring your own fuel.
- Underfloor heating in the kitchen and bathroom. Storage heaters throughout the rest of the cottage, with log burning stoves in both the dining and sitting rooms.
- Heating, bed linen and towels provided. Please bring own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- Off street parking for at least one car.
- Logs for the wood burning stove may be purchased at Friends Garage in Orford.
- An unlimited broadband/wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use, and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271.
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£819|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£726|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£819|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£726|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£1,083|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£725|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£780|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£725|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£820|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£780|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£1,080|
|1 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||£820|
|15 Jun 18 - 22 Jun 18||£910|
|22 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£820|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£910|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£1,080|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£910|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£820|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£780|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£820|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£725|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£1,080|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Lovely few days - first time we have ever not stayed in the Crown and Castle here, so a very interesting different perspective on the village. Crown and Castle well worth a visit for dinner - fab food and service although not cheap. Pump Street Bakery heavenly for breakfast and afternoon tea goodies. David and Leanne - 11th September 2017
Very comfortable stay at Anchor Cottage. Weather mixed - shame as we would have loved to spend more time in the lovely garden. Africa Alive is a good day out. Also enjoyed Bury St Edmunds and Ickworth. Regarding eating out in Orford, our preference is definitely the Kings Head.Jon and Mel - 11th August 2017
Lovely house and local area, plenty to do and see. We enjoyed visiting the castle, walking and eating some local produce. Can recommend the Jolly Sailor and further afield in Woodbridge the Golden Panda for Chinese. Mr and Mrs Brookes - 31st March 2017
Beautiful, peaceful and welcoming - the cottage and the village. Cottage is like a home from home! Thank you. Mayella and Louise - 14th November 2016
Lovely cottage, comfortable and clean; peaceful village with all the amenities we needed.Carolyn F, Surrey - 24th August 2014