Overlooking the fields and saltmarshes which separate Orford from the sea, The Bothy has been stunningly converted to provide excellent holiday accommodation for 4. High ceilings, large picture windows and ground floor accommodation make this a wonderful property for anyone wanting a really relaxing holiday.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km), FRAMLINGHAM
About this Property: A architecturally designed barn conversion, unique amongst our Orford properties, The Bothy now has all accommodation on the ground floor. The new owners have built on the excellent provision of the property and The Bothy now includes wifi, a large flat screen TV, iPod dock, DAB radio and CD player as well as some additional kitchen equipment.
This property is ideal for: The Bothy is a great property for a small family or two couples looking for a country escape.
Parking: There is off street parking provided at the property for one car.
Setting: Within a minute's walk of the estuary in one direction and Orford's market square in the other, The Bothy at Chantry Barns provides delightful accommodation.
Exploring: Orford is a delightful coastal village, with a fascinating 12th century castle keep, once a major pillar in the defence of the English coast. Across the estuary (just a 5 minute boat ride away) is Orford Ness, an area of historic and environmental fascination run by the National Trust. You can enjoy a River Trip which offers lovely views and is equal parts educational and entertaining.
A painter's paradise, there are spectacular views along the coast to Aldeburgh to the north and Havergate Island (a RSPB bird sanctuary) to the south. Although it is called a town, Orford has that village feel and size yet boasts fine cafes, restaurants and lovely pubs. Walkers, bird watchers, cyclist and sailors agree that Orford makes the perfect base. It is a delightful location in the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, ideal for everything from a family beach holiday to an historic tour of Suffolk's finest castles and churches. There are excellent routes for walking in the area, as you can walk along the meandering river or head further inland towards Sudbourne and Tunstall Forest.
Eating and Drinking Out: There are two excellent pubs in Orford. The Jolly Sailor is a stone's throw from the Quay which makes it an ideal stopping point if you're heading out for walks around the river. A traditional pub with an excellent menu, you can enjoy the welcoming atmosphere seating in one of the pub's many nooks, or - weather permitting - enjoy the pub garden. The King's Head is a cosy country pub which offers classic pub favourites on its traditional menu which also incorporates a few modern dishes.
Penny's Cafe serves breakfasts, light lunches and afternoon teas with a menu which changes with the seasons. Dogs are welcome for a drink and doggie biscuits, and outside there is a special bike log for cyclists to park their bikes on while they enjoy a drink and slice of cake. On the water's edge sits the Riverside Tearoom which has lovely views across the river to Orfordness Lighthouse. A short drive from Orford, The Froize in Chillesford is an excellent destination for lunch or an evening meal with a fine selection of quality dishes to choose from.
Self-Catered Eating: There is a village shop in Orford, as well as the famous Pump Street Bakery. Snape Maltings is roughly five miles from Orford and you can purchase a selection of goodies from the Food Hall there. Slightly further afield in Saxmundham are Tesco and Waitrose supermarkets which will have a wider selection available to you.
For more information about the area, including restaurants, pubs, cafes, shopping facilities, and things to do, please see our online guide Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Saturday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- Double doors open from the terrace into the lofty open plan living room
- The kitchen is fully fitted with lots of built in cupboard space and dishwasher, fridge with ice box, washing machine, microwave, Nespresso coffee machine, electric oven and hob and an excellent supply of kitchen equipment
- To the right of the kitchen is the dining area with table and chairs, lamps and cupboard
- The large sitting area has sofa and chairs, coffee table, large lamp, Dyson fan and large flat screen TV showing SKY and DVD, iPod dock and DAB radio / CD player
- Large picture windows open out onto the terrace. Adjustable blinds ensure that you can adjust the lighting according to your requirements day and night
- Twin bedroom with matching single beds, pine wardrobe, pine chest of drawers, bedside table and lamps
- Double bedroom with brass bedstead, bedside tables and lamps and wardrobe.
- Well equipped bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- There is a terrace outside with outside sofa/seating area
- An attractive communal grassed area surrounds the barns
- There is private parking for one car, additional parking in the street
- Central heating, bed linen and towels are included in the price. Please bring own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the property
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- Wi fi is provided.
- Other equipment provided includes: an iron and ironing board, hairdryer and hoover.
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.