Situated on the the edge of Orford and less than 5 minutes walk from the shops, quay and pubs, Brambles is in an outstanding position looking out over miles of coastal countryside. Perfect for all the family.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
About the Property: With bleached wooden flooring throughout, white paintwork and sunny rooms, Brambles has all the feel of a beach house. With all accommodation on the ground floor, Brambles should suit almost every family configuration. The conservatory dining room looks out over the large private garden. With its large family dining table it is just the room for a dinner party or full Christmas dinner. Catering at Brambles will never be a chore; it has the most wonderful views over the coastal countryside and another good sized kitchen table, great for breakfast.
Children will love the 'dormitory', although it is equally suitable for adults; a really large bedroom with four single beds (the fourth bed is a trundle so can be stored under one of the other beds to maximise space), it includes an en suite shower room. Two further double bedrooms share the family bathroom.
In summer or winter, Brambles is warm and cosy, with a log burning stove in the sitting room.
Grounds: Brambles is only a short walk from Orford quay with its shops and restaurants, yet has stunning views over the coastal countryside. Gardens surround the house and, with hedging to the front and fields and the coast to the rear, holidaymakers will be able to make the most of the sun at any time of day. There is a sheltered terrace outside the conservatory with table and chairs and a vast lawn with some trees to the rear, so plenty of room for children to play and dogs to roam (the garden is not fully fenced).
Parking: There is parking for at least 2 - 3 cars on the drive leading to the garage.
Sleeps: 8 in two double bedrooms and a third bedroom with 4 full sized single beds.
Ideal for: A couple of families with the children sharing the 'dormitory', or families bringing grandparents. It is also great for two couples, each wanting their own bathroom.
Orford is well loved by writers, composers, artists and anyone looking for a really comfortable and hassle-free break where you can be confident that fine food and wine can be sourced within walking distance and that any stroll around the village will offer a site of historic or cultural delight.
The town has something for everyone; sailors, walkers, fishermen, cyclists, bird watchers, music and art lovers, those with an interest in history, fine food, and a penchant for beautiful surroundings. The church hosts many excellent concerts and Snape Maltings, home of Aldeburgh Music, is just a 15 minute drive from Brambles.
Minimum Hire: Three nights - except in high season when it is a week. Changeover is usually a Friday but is flexible outside high seasons.
Self catering eating: The village shop, Orford General Stores, is a gem - it has a post office and a cash point as well as loads of local produce. For the best bread, pastries or a light lunch do visit The Pump Street Bakery. Orford boasts a great smokery selling smoked fish, The Butley Orford Oysterage.
Eating out: If you fancy dining out, a visit to The Crown & Castle is a real treat. Fish lovers will adore The Butley, Orford Oysterage and of course there are two excellent pubs in the village, The Kings Head and The Jolly Sailor will serve you an excellent meal - and you can enjoy the Adnams beer or fine wine as all are within a few minutes' walk of Brambles.
Orford is a delightful coastal village, with a fascinating 12th century castle keep; the castle was once a major pillar in the defence of the English coast. Across the estuary (just a 5 minute boat ride away) is Orford Ness, an area of historic and environmental fascination run by the National Trust. There are spectacular views from the quay along the coast to Aldeburgh to the north and Havergate Island (an RSPB bird sanctuary) to the south.
Entertainment: Flat screen TV, DVD player and iPod dock. There is also a good collection of books for you to enjoy and lots of local brochures.
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots will be very useful so you can have a good old stomp along the coast without ruining your best shoes! Do bring your own beach towels. With so many quiet country lanes bikes would be a bonus - you can hire bikes from Friends Garage but give them a call in advance to reserve.
- Sleeps 8
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.5 mile
- Nearest pub 0.5 mile
- 0.5 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the ground floor
- Enter via the conservatory / dining room with large dining table seating 8+, chairs and doors to the sitting room and kitchen
- The kitchen with electric cooker, cafetiere, microwave, toaster and kettle and lots of kitchen equipment. There is a separate pantry with lots of space for groceries, washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Sitting room with three sofas, a log burning stove, flat screen TV with Freeview and Netflix, occasional tables and lamps
- Bedroom 1: A double bedroom with king size bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, wardrobe with hanging space and shelving, easy chair
- Bedroom 2: A double bedroom with king size bed, bedside table and lamp, hanging space and shelving, book case, easy chair
- Family bathroom with bath, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 3: A large bedroom with three full sized single beds and trundle bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and clothes hooks
- En suite shower room with walk-in shower, washbasin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- The front door is rarely used but the hall has a pew type chair and hooks for coats, hats and space for shoes and boots.
- A large garden with patio area with table and chairs, large areas of grass, shrubs and trees. The garden is fenced but not dog proof.
- Private parking for 2 - 3 cars
- Garden table, chairs and small parasol in the Summer.
- There is a BBQ provided but please bring your own charcoal.
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Full central heating throughout. Logs can be purchased from Friends Garage - (Closed Saturday afternoons and Sundays)
- Wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy in Orford, the connection provided is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- In consideration of other holidaymakers, please do not smoke in the house
- Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- For young children, 1 high chair and travel cot are provided. There is also a hair dryer.
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|2nd June 2017 - 21st July 2017||£870.00|
|21st July 2017 - 1st September 2017||£1,155.00|
|1st September 2017 - 29th September 2017||£870.00|
|29th September 2017 - 20th October 2017||£741.00|
|20th October 2017 - 27th October 2017||£870.00|
|27th October 2017 - 22nd December 2017||£693.00|
|22nd December 2017 - 6th January 2018||£1,194.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
Great house is an excellent location. Very relaxing. House was really well equipped.The Garners - 21st April 2017
Another lovely stay. Several excellent meals in The Crown and Castle. Loved watching the hares in the garden. Very relaxing. Great new TV - sadly we brought a load of DVD's to watch! Weather fairly kind - even some sun. Many thanksThe Smiths - 21st March 2017
We have had a wonderful time. Such a beautiful place. The house has everything you could possibly need. Fab last night supper at The Jolly Sailor where we were very well looked after. Lots of fun watching the pheasants and birds out of the kitchen window! Thank you!The Penfolds - 14th February 2017
A lovely couple of weeks here coinciding with a walking weekend for The Malcolm Saville Society as his book "Sea Witch Comes Home" was partly based here - a Lone Pine book. Very welcoming house and every need catered for.* Great hare watching from the kitchen! *See book suggestion thoughThe Spencers - 21st November 2016
Fantastic base for a family holiday with children and grandparents, beautiful location and village, very welcoming and useful to have so much space around the house for playing and nature spotting, hares, fox, stag beetles! Thank you!The Barnes family - 12th August 2016
We had a wonderful stay, thank you. The property was absolutely ideal for a big family holiday and Orford proved to be the picture perfect little countryside village we were hoping for.A previous customer - 18th June 2015
Wonderful place for Christmas, spacious, light and comfortable. We love Orford and so enjoyed great walks. Thanks for allowing us to stay.A previous customer - 27th December 2014
Good place for a week's walking, eating and drinking!A previous customer - 12th November 2014