DescriptionA beautifully refurbished traditional cottage in the heart of the coastal village of Orford. Super views of the castle and child and baby friendly.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
Pump Cottage is a real gem in the heart of Orford, one of the most popular seaside villages in Suffolk, and with its nationally acclaimed restaurants, picturesque houses, 12th century church, Norman castle and traditional cottages, it still retains the peace and tranquillity that makes this area so special.
The cottage is situated in the heart of the village opposite Orford's beautifully preserved Norman castle keep. With the Alde estuary just a couple of minutes walk down the road there are opportunities for crabbing, sailing, bird watching, cycling and walking. In the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, this is a fantastic spot from which to explore this magical coastline; take a boat trip down the river or across to the National Trust nature reserve of Orford Ness.
It is a tricky choice whether to eat out or eat in. Fresh fish can be bought at Brinkley's Fish Shed down by the quay or at Pinney's where you can get a great range of fresh and smoked fish. For the rest of your shopping including meat go to Orford General Store which is just off Market Hill - you can even get a coffee and sit in the sunshine by the village pump. From Wednesday through to Sunday try the Pump Street Bakery, a continental patisserie/boulangerie, for the crustiest bread and the scrummiest doughnuts - yummy!
The nearest pub is The Kings Head Inn and down by the quay is The Jolly Sailor, which now has a lovely patio and garden area with views across the marshes to the sea wall. Both pubs provide excellent food at lunchtimes and evenings.
The two restaurants in the town are both worth eating at. Try Ruth and David Watson's Trinity Bistro at The Crown and Castle and, if you love your fish, eat at the non-pretentious The Butley Orford Oysterage.
For lots more information on Orford and the surrounding area do look at our own online guide Visit-Orford
- Sleeps 3
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Lobby area with space for coats and wellies, door to cloakroom with toilet and wash hand basin
- Refurbished kitchen with tiled floor, electric cooker with cooker hood, dishwasher, fridge with small freezer drawer, microwave, dining table and chairs
- Sitting room with log burning stove, arm chair, sofa, tub chair, coffee table, multi channel satellite TV, DVD and mini hi-fi system with iPod dock
- Double bedroom with double bed and bedside table, chest of drawers, wardrobe, (fold up bed and travel cot available) wonderful views of Orford Castle, and over the river and islands towards the sea. There is a hair dryer.
- Small single bedroom with single bed, bedside table
- Shower room with shower, w.c. and wash basin
- Washing machine and tumble dryer in outbuilding at side of cottage
- Central heating, lighting, linen and towels included. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- Heating by electric radiators and/or storage heaters
- Guests are asked to consider other holidaymakers and not smoke in the cottage
- A BT Infinity fibre broadband wifi service is provided, but please remember the service is provided by a third party, and may become unavailable due to circumstances beyond our or the owners' control.
- The Kings Head, Orford, tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor, Orford, tel. 01396 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice, so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- A delightful sunny, landscaped garden to the rear of the cottage with garden furniture, parasol. The garden is fenced
- Parking on lane
Thoroughly enjoyed our New Year break in Pump Cottage + Orford. Cottage is lovely, cosy, well equipped and with some lovely individual touches.Elaine & Paul (& Nathan the collie) - 12th January 2016
Lovely cottage in a wonderful location. Had a great time exploring the area.Rob & Fiona (and Zak the dog) - 21st November 2015
Thank you for yet another wonderful stay in Pump Cottage & Orford. Really love it here.Peter & Wendy - 16th September 2015
Thank you for a lovely time at Pump Cottage. The garden is fantastic and we enjoyed spending time there and in the castle grounds.... Hope to return.Rachel & Jack - 12th August 2015
Thanks for a delightful stay in a charming and well equipped cottage.Claire & Peter (plus Mia the dog) - 11th July 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.