DescriptionWith stunning views of Orford Castle and so conveniently situated to explore all that this coastal village has to offer, Bailey Cottage is the perfect getaway for those wishing to experience Suffolk in the comfort of a self catering cottage.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About the property: A more homely retreat would certainly be difficult to find. Bailey Cottage is a newly refurbished, self catering holiday cottage in the centre of the much loved coastal village of Orford, which enjoys lovely views of the fantastically preserved Norman castle keep. Furnished to an exceptionally high standard, the cottage provides everything you could possibly need to ensure a fantastic stay in Suffolk.
The front door opens onto the sitting room with wood burning stove - perfect for winter evenings after days spent walking in the bracing air. In summer, open the stable door, sit back and admire the castle. The fully fitted kitchen looks out over the landscaped garden - this too is a real delight in summer, particularly to enjoy with a glass of wine and a book.
A traditional cottage staircase leads to the two bedrooms, of which the Master Bedroom enjoys views of the castle. The modern family bathroom also has high-tech features, including the rain shower - a real treat!
Parking: Off street parking can be found in the lane and in the castle car park.
Dogs: Up to 2 medium sized, well behaved dogs are welcome at Bailey Cottage.
This property is ideal for: A couple or friends looking for a stress free holiday on the coast. With easy access to the quay, castle, pubs and numerous footpaths, there is plenty to do right on your doorstep. Time and consideration have been taken to furnish the cottage with the holidaymaker in mind, including a landline telephone for emergency and incoming calls (signal in Orford can be patchy) and an unlimited wifi connection.
Exploring: Orford is one of the most popular seaside villages in Suffolk and this is perhaps due to its nationally acclaimed restaurants, 12th century church and Norman castle. Despite this, it still manages to maintain its peace and tranquillity - a feature that attracts so many to the area (we can guarantee you'll be back!).
The Alde estuary is just a few minutes walk down the road from Bailey Cottage where there are plentiful opportunities for walking, cycling, sailing, bird watching and crabbing. Orford sits within the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a truly magical and memorable place to explore the stunning Suffolk coastline: be sure to take a boat trip down the river or to the National Trust nature reserve at the breathtaking Orford Ness.
Self catering: Whilst on holiday here, sampling the local produce is a must. Fresh fish can be bought from Brinkley's Fish Shed at the quay or from Pinney's who also stock a wide selection of smoked fish. Other meat and goodies can be found at Orford General Store which is just off Market Hill. On Wednesdays through to Sundays, a visit to the famous Pump Street Bakery is essential. This continental style patisserie stocks the crustiest of bread and the scrummiest doughnuts - it even received a mention at the Oscars!
Eating and Drinking out: The closest pub to Bailey Cottage is The Kings Head Inn, and a further walk will take you to The Jolly Sailor. Both pubs fall under the Adnams branch so you can expect excellent food at lunchtimes and evenings.
For a more refined affair, there are two restaurants to try: the Trinity Bistro at The Crown and Castle (owned by Hotel Inspector Ruth Watson) and, if fish is your thing, The Butley Orford Oysterage.
For more information on the area, please head to Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 3
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Two steps up to the front door, which opens into the sitting room with sofa, two armchairs, coffee table, CD player with Bluetooth speaker, flat screen TV showing Freesat, DVD player, wood burning stove with a starter pack of logs, a landline telephone for emergency calls (an honesty box is provided). The stable door and window in the sitting room provide views of Orford Castle opposite. A small step up leads to the
- Kitchen with fully fitted units with wooden work surfaces, dining area with dining table and 4 chairs, plenty of storage space, microwave, kettle, 2 slice toaster, 4 ring electric hob and oven, cafetiere, hoover, mop, dustpan and brush, under counter fridge with ice box, slimline dishwasher and washing machine. A shelf contains a selection of board games, books, cookery books and a radio. Delightful views of the garden through the window. A door leads to the rear garden.
- The slightly steep staircase accessed from the kitchen (11 steps) with handrail, curves round to the first floor.
- Master bedroom with king size bed, bedside tables and lamps, wardrobe with hanging and drawer space, dressing table with mirror and stool, full sized mirror and traditional feature fireplace with grate. There are also hooks on the back of the door. Delightful views looking out towards Orford Castle.
- Single bedroom with single bed, bedside table and lamp. Hooks on the back of the door. Views looking out towards the rear garden.
- Family Bathroom with bath with overhead rain shower and separate shower head, wash hand basin, w.c., heated towel rail, wall heater and bathroom cabinet.
- A small outhouse provides the perfect space to store bicycles. Extra logs are also stored here with an honesty box should you require any more during your stay.
- Electric central heating is provided throughout. There is a log burning stove and a basket of logs is provided to get you started. Further logs can be purchased in Orford from Friends Garage or Orford Stores.
- In consideration of the owners and other guests, smoking is not permitted inside the property.
- Bed linen and towels are provided, however guests are asked to bring their own beach towels.
- An unlimited Wi fi connection is provided and there is a phone for incoming and emergency calls
- Parking can be found on the lane, or in the free car park next to the castle.
- For dogs, a bed, bowl and towel are provided.
Lovely quaint cottage, friendly village particularly the Kings Head. Had a great Christmas, we loved the tree and the goodies.Lou, Judy & Hazel, Cody the labrador - 8th January 2018
What a lovely cottage! Had fabulous weekend, lots of walking and eating - perfect! Wine and biccies were much appreciated, Thank youA holidaymaker - 21st June 2017
Always loved Orford. The cottage and garden is lovely. Thank youA holidaymaker - 21st June 2017
Lovely cottage, very relaxing. Orford is the perfect setting. Lovely village and walksA holidaymaker - 21st June 2017
Lovely cottage - we had a lovely week in Orford!'A previous customer - 3rd January 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.