A stunning timber framed cottage, one of the oldest in the village of Orford in a perfect position overlooking Orford's old market square. Totally refurbished, this really spacious cottage is heavily beamed, with a large open fire in the sitting room. Despite that ceiling heights are high, particularly in the main sitting room.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
About the property: Beautifully presented, this ancient timber framed house was recently completely refurbished. Comfortable and spacious, Cutting Cottage makes the perfect holiday home for families with youngsters or one or two couples. There is a ground floor bedroom with two full sized single beds (zip and link, they can be used as a very comfortable super king) with its own bathroom next door which might be useful for someone with limited mobility or if 2 couples are sharing a holiday together but want some privacy. There is another equally spacious and comfortable double (super-king) bedroom upstairs, again with its own bathroom. The beamed sitting room has a large open log burning brick fireplace so with that and central heating you can be really warm whatever time of year you take your holiday.
Grounds: The spacious and gated garden opens out from the terrace beyond the French doors, perfect for kids to play in while the adults enjoy a BBQ and glass of wine on the terrace.
Parking: Off-road parking - narrow lane which may be unsuitable for larger vehicles.
Sleeps: Four. Double bedroom with super-king sized bed and twin bedded room (or twin beds zip together to create super-king)
This property is ideal for: Families, or two couples. Orford has something for everyone; sailors, walkers, fishermen, cyclists, bird watchers, music and art lovers, those interested in history and food, or simply wanting to relax!
Minimum Hire: Three nights; except in high season when it is a week. Changeover is usually a Friday.
Entertainment: Large TV, DVD player and music centre. There is a variety of DVDs and CDs for you to enjoy, as well as a wide selection of books for all ages.
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots will be very useful so you can have a good old stomp along the coast without ruining your best shoes! Don't forget beach towels, fishing nets, crabbing lines and fuel for the BBQ.
Family Holidays: All hardware such as high chair and travel cot are supplied for your use at Cutting Cottage. The garden is enclosed and with the castle and the estuary practically on your doorstep there is plenty of space to be explored by the kids.
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at Cutting Cottage. Start your morning with fresh croissant and coffee from the lovely Pump Street Bakery across the road - fantastic. Enjoy coffee at the Riverside Tea Rooms overlooking the water by the quay or at Penny's cafe beside Orford General Store where you will find a great selection of local produce as well as all the staples for your holiday in Suffolk.
There is also an excellent butcher and smoked and fresh fish at Pinneys, as well as Brinkley's fresh fish shed on the waterfront by the quay.
Eating out: There is no shortage of good pubs and restaurants within a few yards of Cutting Cottage:
The Butley Orford Oysterage +44(0)1394 450277
In the Market Square just yards from Cutting Cottage, this is a predominantly fish restaurant, serving oysters, smoked delicacies, local fresh fish and shellfish as well as fish dishes from all over the world. The presentation and surroundings are simple and uncomplicated.
The Trinity at the Crown and Castle +44 (0)1394 450205
A highly regarded, informal restaurant called The Trinity Bistro, which holds 2 AA rosettes and a Michelin bib gourmand.
The Jolly Sailor in Quay Street, +44(0)1394 450243
A 16th century pub loved by the locals but a genuinely warm welcome to holidaymakers as well. Excellent, locally sourced, freshly cooked food with a menu of unspoilt favourites. Children, animals and well-behaved adults are welcome, they have a lovely big garden with a children's play tower.
The Kings Head +44(0)1394 450271
This historic 13th Century pub combines all the atmosphere of a traditional inn with great real Adnams ales, classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu, which incorporates modern British cuisine and twists on popular classics. All dishes are prepared using local ingredients where possible and subject to chef's acclaimed, individual style.
For more information on the area please take a look at our own information websites Visit Orford , Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Woodbridge.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- There are a few stone steps leading up to the front door.
- The hall has laminate flooring and loads of space for coats, boots, pushchairs, buckets and spades etc
- Bathroom with bath and overhead shower, grab handle, w.c. and washbasin
- A twin bedroom with full sized single beds (these can be zipped together to create a Super King, on request, by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org, at the time of booking), the window overlooks the garden
- The kitchen is fully fitted with electric hob and oven, microwave/oven, fridge and freezer, dishwasher and washing machine. Within the large kitchen is a lovely dining area with glass table and six black and chrome chairs
- Leading from the hallway is the garden room with wood flooring. A wicker sofa and two arm chairs, coffee table and lamp, create a delightful space to sit and read or watch the birds in the garden through the french doors. Exposed and open beams separate this area from the sitting room.
- A few steps up lead you into the large formal sitting room with sofa arms chairs and open fire. With coffee tables, lamps and a large writing desk, there is also a large television with DVD and Video. WiFi is available and a (UK) landline telephone for emergency use. (Honesty policy in place)
- There is a step up from the garden room, which is open to a straight carpeted staircase leading to the first floor.
- The double bedroom has a super king bed and views of the sea to the rear and the market place and church to front and side. There is a large walk in cupboard with hanging space and a large airing shelved airing cupboard. There is a door from the bedroom leading to the en suite bathroom with separate shower cubicle with electric power shower, wash basin and WC.
- Off road parking for one car to the rear of the property.
- The courtyard garden is paved and well stocked with shrubs, perennials and fruit trees. Garden chairs, BBQ, table and parasol also available.
- In consideration of other visitors, holiday makers are asked not to smoke in the house.
- Central heating, bed linen and towels are provided (please bring beach towels). If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it. The cottage has full oil central heating in addition to the working open fire in the sitting room. Logs can be purchased in the village at Orford Stores or Friends Garage.
- There is off street parking to the rear of this property.
- WiFi and (UK) landline telephone (honesty policy in place)
- A limited broadband/wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
Highly recommend this property and it's location. Exceptional standard of accommodation and offers great value for money.Ms Virginia Monk - 8th August 2017
Orford is excellent. property location is excellent.. Mr F Howard - 19th July 2017
This week has been our third stay in this cosy, comfortable cottage. We hope that next year will be a return visit! We love it here and think that Orford is the perfect village with everything we need by way of supplies and eating places. Thank you for helping us to have a most relaxing week yet again!A previous customer - 23rd September 2016
Very comfortable cottage in a great location for local walks and the Suffolk coast. A quaint village with all that you need. Good pubs and local eating.A previous customer - 17th June 2016
Lovely cottage, wrens fledged, blackbirds hedged and pidgeon nesting. Swifts amazing, we watched them go into the roof of the house at the bottom of the garden!A previous customer - 13th June 2016
Lovely cottage and comfortable beds.A previous customer - 10th June 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.