DescriptionSituated in the very heart of the lovely coastal village of Orford, 89 Pump Street has been recently refurbished to create a superbly equipped holiday cottage, with bags of character and absolute comfort.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
The Property: Recently refurbished, the kitchen is both very well equipped and great to cook in. The cosy sitting room has been beautifully furnished and includes a wood burning stove as well as top of the range electric radiators (throughout the cottage), great for winter breaks. Top quality mattresses, bedding and toppers for both beds guarantee comfortable nights, and the bathroom has a large contemporary walk in shower.
Outside: A path takes you round to the back of the cottage where there is a very private courtyard garden with planting, table and chairs. The owners have created a small laundry room with washing machine/tumble dryer, as well as a lovely open fronted seating area with attractive roof lights, making maximum use of the natural light. This is a great space in which to relax and enjoy a barbecue - even if the weather is a bit questionable.
Sleeps 2-3 in one double room with king sized bed and a single. There is a cot and high chair available.
Ideal for: Writers, composers, artists and friends, or couples looking for a really comfortable and hassle-free break. Rest assured that you can purchase fine local food and wine without any need of a car, and that any stroll around the village will offer a site of historic or cultural delight.
Entertainment: TV with freeview and DVD player. There is a small collection of DVDs for you to enjoy, as well as some excellent Suffolk guides and novels.
Exploring: Orford is a stunning conservation coastal village equidistant from Aldeburgh and Woodbridge and just a 10-minute drive from Snape Maltings, the home of Aldeburgh Music. Orford Castle, an iconic symbol of the importance of Orford since the 11th century, can be seen from both the sea and the countryside around the village. Orford quay is a buzz of activity throughout the day with fishing boats landing their catch and regular boat trips to Orford Ness, a fascinating shingle spit opened to the public by the National Trust, and Havergate Island, (the very first RSPB site famed for its avocets) on the confluence of the River Ore and the Butley River. If you want to stick to the river, there are several boat trips available.
Alternatively explore the river on foot. Orford and its surrounding countryside is peppered with footpaths and byways, so you can enjoy a different walk every day.
Self Catering: If your preference is to eat in then the village shop, Orford General Store, is a gem; it has a post office and a cash point as well as loads of local produce, as well as its own cafe and a separate butchers shop. For the best bread, pastries or a light lunch you must try The Pump Street Bakery. Smoked fish can be purchased in Orford at Pinneys, and for fresh fish and shellfish (when in season) try Brinkley's Fish Shed.
Dining Out: If you fancy dining out then book a table at The Trinity Restaurant at the Crown & Castle, or The Butley Orford Oysterage - both are a treat. Fish lovers will adore the Oysterage, and of course there are two excellent pubs in the village, The Kings Head and The Jolly Sailor. Both will serve you an excellent meal, and you can feel free enjoy the Adnams beer or fine wine - all restaurants are within a few minutes' walk of the cottage.
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots will be very useful - there are lots of lovely walks along the coast and through the fields and woodland areas surrounding Orford. Do bring your own beach towels. With so many quiet country lanes, bikes would be a bonus. Crabbing lines are a must for the child in us all!
- Sleeps 3
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- The rear entrance lobby has hanging hooks and space for boots and shoes
- Ground floor shower room with walk-in shower, handbasin and w.c.
- Good-sized kitchen, with 1.5 bowl sink, blender, electric hob, double oven and grill, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, microwave, kettle and toaster
- Sitting room with wood-burning stove, 2-seater sofa, armchair, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, Freeview and iPod dock.
- In the corner of the sitting room is a dining table with 3 chairs
- The staircase runs up from the kitchen and is quite steep and curves left, with a handrail on the left going up
- Double bedroom with 3-drawer bedside units on each side, bedside lamps, CD/radio alarm clock, dressing table with further lamp, 2 chairs, fireplace cupboard with shelving, wardrobe
- Single bedroom with 3-drawer bedside unit, bedside lamp, wardrobe, fireplace cupboard with shelving, chair
- Paved courtyard garden with sheltered seating area and barbecue
- Outhouse housing washer-dryer
- Bed linen and towels provided but please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors, guests are requested not to smoke in 89 Pump Street
- Central heating is provided and logs can be purchsed for the wood burning stove from Friends garage or Orford Village Stores, in Pump Street.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
Really enjoyed our stay, very comfortable and well equipped cottage in an excellent position in the village. Pubs and hotel were fantastic and dog friendly. The weather was great apart from one day of rain so the outside covered area was a bonus. We will definitely return to Orford and would love to stay here again. A very friendly place. Many thanks. Mr Cunningham - 1st September 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.