A stone's throw from the Quay at Orford, Ferry Cottage has welcomed families to the coast at Suffolk for many years. With a large, private garden and off-street parking - take your boat, and bikes, and explore the delightful county.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About the property: Located just before the entrance to the Quay in Orford, Ferry Cottage offers comfortable, relaxed and homely accommodation for 7. It has all the ingredients you need for a holiday by the sea for a family or a group of friends. Perfect for both summer and winter holidays; the open fire and full central heating makes for cosy evenings in and the lovely garden with garden furniture and BBQ is the ideal spot for you to relax in the summer.
Perhaps another bonus is the generous sized conservatory - a lovely place to sit and read a magazine or book (some provided by the owner), play a board game or enjoy a glass of wine. Here too you can also sit and enjoy looking out over the delightful, private, lawned garden.
Sleeps: 6 in 1 double and 2 twins.
The owner does allow one dog to stay at the property. Under no circumstances can they be allowed upstairs or on furniture otherwise you may risk losing your security deposit.
About the area: Perhaps one of the most attractive coastal villages on the East Coast, Orford retains a fascinating 12th Century Castle and Church. With a small but bespoke selection of local shops to provide your everyday provisions, craft shops, excellent restaurants and traditional pubs, Orford gives you a chance to leave the car at home. There is much to see and do at the Quay throughout the year - boat trips to Havergate Island and Orford Ness, sailing of small crafts and yachts, crabbing and fishing.
On the banks of the Ore, Orford is protected from the sea by a fascinating shingle bank, Orford Ness, which runs from Aldeburgh to the sea. Accessible by ferry, Orford Ness is now managed by the National Trust; here you can find out about this strange and ever changing landscape, the many ground nesting and sea birds nesting here or trace the mysterious history of the area's war time occupation both for secret development of radar and munitions and in the defence of Britain. From Orford Quay one can take a boat trip to Havergate Island, the first RSPB reserve and home of the avocet.
Orford is within easy access of both Snape and the Snape Maltings Concert Hall and the seaside town of Aldeburgh, where the Aldeburgh Festival began life some fifty years ago.
The market town of Woodbridge is within half an hours drive along pleasant rural lanes and has plenty of interesting historic buildings, galleries, a quayside theatre and restaurant, a picturesque river walk and a great selection of pubs and tearooms.
Eating In: The Orford General Stores stocks almost everything and the staff are friendly and really helpful. Next door is the award winning Pump Street Bakery, with an amazing and tempting selection of pastries and artisan bread which is made by hand, using traditional methods and natural ingredients. Alternatively, the nearest Waitrose and Tesco are 10 miles away in Saxmundham and will deliver to this address.
Eating out: There are two fine pubs - The King's Headand The Jolly Sailor- and two great restaurants - The Trinity at The Crown & Castle and The Butley Orford Oysterage- within 2 minutes walk of Ferry Cottage. A short drive away, or cycle ride, is the village of Chillesford and The Froize Inn, which has an excellent reputation for good quality food and drink.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The front door opens into the Sitting Room, with coatstand, occassional tables, sofa, two armchairs, open fire, book shelves with a selection of childrens games, toys and books of varying genres, TV showing Freesat HD and DVD player. A door to the right of the room leads to the Conservatory. An door to the left leads through to the Dining Room. The open staircase also leads down into the Sitting Room.
- Conservatory with cane sofa, three cane armchairs, occasional tables, CD player and magazines. Delightful views of the garden with french doors leading out to the rear.
- A door leads through to the Dining Room, with dining table and seating for 8. A sideboard and dresser house crockery and cooking utensils.
- A step down from the Dining Room leads to the Kitchen with built in cupboards and worktop space, sink, breakfast table with seating for 4/5, fan oven with 4 ring electric hob, fridge freezer with double doors, 2 slice toaster, kettle, dishwasher. The owner has also provided a selection of cook books as well as some shopping bags and baskets for your groceries. A door from the Kitchen leads out into the garden.
- The Utility Area is accessed by the garden and houses a washing machine, tumble dryer, w.c. and hand basin.
- An open staircase with handrail leads to the first floor from the Sitting Room. Parents are advised to watch children when using the staircase.
- Step down into the Twin Bedroom with two full sized single beds, bedside tables with drawer storage and lamps, fitted wardrobe with hanging space and hand basin.
- Step down into the second Twin bedroom, with full sized single beds, wall hooks, chest of drawers, bedside table and lamp. There is also an additional daybed.
- Double Bedroom with full sized double bed, bedside table with drawer storage and lamps, vanity area with stool and mirror, fitted wardrobe with hanging space.
- Shower Room with built in shower unit, w.c., hand basin and heated towel rail.
- Family Bathroom with bath, w.c., hand basin and heated towel rail.
- Spacious and private garden with furniture to seat 8, small summer house, rose bushes, bird table and BBQ. Mature hedging provides privacy from the road. The lawned area extends from the rear to the side of the property, connecting the driveway and garage area to the front.
- There is private, off street parking for 2-3 cars. This would also make a great area for storing a small boat, please ask for more information.
- Centrally heated throughout, with an open fire in the sitting room. A starter pack of logs is provided, but further supplies are available from the garage in the village.
- Bed linen and towels are included but please bring your own beach towels and bedding for the cot, if required.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in the property.
- Private parking for 2-3 cars or boats.
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
Wonderful stay in Orford for our nieces wedding at Wantisden Valley. Lovely location.A previous customer - 4th August 2016
We ate in all our favourite places and visited Aldeburgh, Snape and the spit. We love this place and it makes us all happy. Thank you for letting us stay.A previous customer - 15th July 2016
We have felt so comfortable and at home in your lovely cottage. So many things to do! What at wonderful place.A previous customer - 2nd April 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.