A stone's throw from the Quay at Orford, Ferry Cottage has welcomed families to the coast at Suffolk for many years. With a large, private garden and off-street parking - take your boat, and bikes, and explore the delightful county.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About the property: Located just before the entrance to the Quay in Orford, Ferry Cottage offers comfortable, relaxed and homely accommodation for 7. It has all the ingredients you need for a holiday by the sea for a family or a group of friends. Perfect for both summer and winter holidays; the open fire and full central heating makes for cosy evenings in and the lovely garden with garden furniture and BBQ is the ideal spot for you to relax in the summer.
Perhaps another bonus is the generous sized conservatory - a lovely place to sit and read a magazine or book (some provided by the owner), play a board game or enjoy a glass of wine. Here too you can also sit and enjoy looking out over the delightful, private, lawned garden.
Sleeps: 6 in 1 double and 2 twins.
The owner does allow one dog to stay at the property by prior arrangement. If you wish to bring your dog please email the team on firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the age and breed. Under no circumstances can they be allowed upstairs or on furniture otherwise you may risk losing your security deposit.
About the area: Perhaps one of the most attractive coastal villages on the East Coast, Orford retains a fascinating 12th Century Castle and Church. With a small but bespoke selection of local shops to provide your everyday provisions, craft shops, excellent restaurants and traditional pubs, Orford gives you a chance to leave the car at home. There is much to see and do at the Quay throughout the year - boat trips to Havergate Island and Orford Ness, sailing of small crafts and yachts, crabbing and fishing.
On the banks of the Ore, Orford is protected from the sea by a fascinating shingle bank, Orford Ness, which runs from Aldeburgh to the sea. Accessible by ferry, Orford Ness is now managed by the National Trust; here you can find out about this strange and ever changing landscape, the many ground nesting and sea birds nesting here or trace the mysterious history of the area's war time occupation both for secret development of radar and munitions and in the defence of Britain. From Orford Quay one can take a boat trip to Havergate Island, the first RSPB reserve and home of the avocet.
Orford is within easy access of both Snape and the Snape Maltings Concert Hall and the seaside town of Aldeburgh, where the Aldeburgh Festival began life some fifty years ago.
The market town of Woodbridge is within half an hours drive along pleasant rural lanes and has plenty of interesting historic buildings, galleries, a quayside theatre and restaurant, a picturesque river walk and a great selection of pubs and tearooms.
Eating In: The Orford General Stores stocks almost everything and the staff are friendly and really helpful. Next door is the award winning Pump Street Bakery, with an amazing and tempting selection of pastries and artisan bread which is made by hand, using traditional methods and natural ingredients. Alternatively, the nearest Waitrose and Tesco are 10 miles away in Saxmundham and will deliver to this address.
Eating out: There are two fine pubs - The King's Headand The Jolly Sailor- and two great restaurants - The Trinity at The Crown & Castle and The Butley Orford Oysterage- within 2 minutes walk of Ferry Cottage. A short drive away, or cycle ride, is the village of Chillesford and The Froize Inn, which has an excellent reputation for good quality food and drink.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The front door opens into the Sitting Room, with coatstand, occassional tables, sofa, two armchairs, open fire, book shelves with a selection of childrens games, toys and books of varying genres, TV showing Freesat HD and DVD player. A door to the right of the room leads to the Conservatory. An door to the left leads through to the Dining Room. The open staircase also leads down into the Sitting Room.
- Conservatory with cane sofa, three cane armchairs, occasional tables, CD player and magazines. Delightful views of the garden with french doors leading out to the rear.
- A door leads through to the Dining Room, with dining table and seating for 8. A sideboard and dresser house crockery and cooking utensils.
- A step down from the Dining Room leads to the Kitchen with built in cupboards and worktop space, sink, breakfast table with seating for 4/5, fan oven with 4 ring electric hob, fridge freezer with double doors, 2 slice toaster, kettle, dishwasher. The owner has also provided a selection of cook books as well as some shopping bags and baskets for your groceries. A door from the Kitchen leads out into the garden.
- The Utility Area is accessed by the garden and houses a washing machine, tumble dryer, w.c. and hand basin.
- An open staircase with handrail leads to the first floor from the Sitting Room. Parents are advised to watch children when using the staircase.
- Step down into the Twin Bedroom with two full sized single beds, bedside tables with drawer storage and lamps, fitted wardrobe with hanging space and hand basin.
- Step down into the second Twin bedroom, with full sized single beds, wall hooks, chest of drawers, bedside table and lamp. There is also an additional daybed.
- Double Bedroom with full sized double bed, bedside table with drawer storage and lamps, vanity area with stool and mirror, fitted wardrobe with hanging space.
- Shower Room with built in shower unit, w.c., hand basin and heated towel rail.
- Family Bathroom with bath, w.c., hand basin and heated towel rail.
- Spacious and private garden with furniture to seat 8, small summer house, rose bushes, bird table and BBQ. Mature hedging provides privacy from the road. The lawned area extends from the rear to the side of the property, connecting the driveway and garage area to the front.
- There is private, off street parking for 2-3 cars. This would also make a great area for storing a small boat, please ask for more information.
- Centrally heated throughout, with an open fire in the sitting room. A starter pack of logs is provided, but further supplies are available from the garage in the village.
- Bed linen and towels are included but please bring your own beach towels and bedding for the cot, if required.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in the property.
- Private parking for 2-3 cars or boats.
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£951|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£756|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£951|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£756|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£1,155|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£765|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£810|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£765|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£960|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£810|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£1,190|
|1 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||£960|
|15 Jun 18 - 22 Jun 18||£1,050|
|22 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£960|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£1,050|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£1,190|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£1,050|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£960|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£810|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£960|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£765|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£1,190|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Wonderful stay in Orford for our nieces wedding at Wantisden Valley. Lovely location.A previous customer - 4th August 2016
We ate in all our favourite places and visited Aldeburgh, Snape and the spit. We love this place and it makes us all happy. Thank you for letting us stay.A previous customer - 15th July 2016
We have felt so comfortable and at home in your lovely cottage. So many things to do! What at wonderful place.A previous customer - 2nd April 2016