DescriptionLucam gets it name from the old lucam at the very top of the mill building. This apartment has been comfortably and stylishly refurbished to provide wonderful accommodation for groups of 4. Breathtaking views in all directions. Lucam has been awarded a 4* Quality in Tourism rating.
ORFORD 3.6 miles (5.8km), SNAPE 6.8 miles (10.9km), WOODBRIDGE 7.9 miles (12.7km), ALDEBURGH 12.3 miles (19.8km), FRAMLINGHAM 13.9 miles (22.3km), SOUTHWOLD 25.4 miles (40.9km)
About the property
Lucam gets it name from the old lucam at the very top of the mill building, which now houses the apartment?s galleried seating area, providing outstanding panoramic views across the reed beds to Butley Creek.
Accessed by an internal staircase, Lucam is on the second floor of Butley Mills, a former working mill. It has been stylishly converted into a sleeps 4, two bedroom apartment.
A pine, gallery staircase leads to a mezzanine floor, from which you can access the wonderful lucam. The Lloyd Loom-style wicker armchairs and coffee table provided allow you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view over a cup of tea or glass of wine.
The property was award a 4 star Tourist Board rating in 2014
Sleeps 4, in two singles (twin) and 2 large bunk beds
Parking You will find dedicated parking opposite the Mills.
This property is ideal for:
A family or group of four keen to explore the surrounding Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Take in the beautiful countryside views, of reed beds, forest, Butley River and the meadows and fields in all directions. History enthusiasts will enjoy the working Sluice below the apartments, and birdwatchers and nature lovers can get lost in this Site of Special Scientific Interest. See what you can spot from the telescope! Nearby Orford is a wonderful place to explore, as is the historic Orford Ness beach, the former site of nuclear testing, now a wildlife reserve. Next door is Laurence Edward?s studio; you can see one of his bronze sculptures in the reeds opposite the Mills. Lucam makes the perfect base for ramblers and explorers!
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking! There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For information contact the Big House holidays team on 01394 389188
Eating and drinking out:
The closest eatery is The Froize Freehouse at Chillesford - easily within walking distance, taking 15 minutes on foot. Top quality, seasonal fresh food, sourced locally. The restaurant serves both lunch (everyday but Monday) and supper on Thursday - Saturday.
Pubs in Orford include The Kings Head Inn, serving excellent food and Adnams ale in front of the woodburner, and the equally delightful Jolly Sailor, right near Orford Quay.
The Crown and Castle restaurant and bar in Orford has a truly unstressed and relaxing atmosphere, and serves really good, unpretentious food.
Journey a little further out and you will find the The Crown Inn, and The Golden Keyat Snape, both serving locally brewed Adnams ales.
As well as tea rooms and an array of good shops,Snape Maltingshouses The Plough and Sail, a modern restaurant with a delicious menu consisting of local, fresh, seasonal ingredients - perfect before an evening performance at the famous Maltings concert hall!
Venture even further afield to Woodbridge or Aldeburgh and sample some of the top quality fare served in the pubs and restaurants. See Vist Woodbridge and Visit Aldeburgh for ideas.
Self catering eating:
In nearby Orford, you will be well supplied with local produce. Fresh fish can be bought at Brinkley's Fish Shed, down by the quay, or from The Butley Orford Oysterage, where you can get oysters grown at Butley Creek, and freshly smoked trout, mackerel, cod roe, wild and farmed salmon, kippers and eel. For shopping, go to Orford General Store, which is just off Market Hill.
From Wednesday through to Sunday try the Pump Street Bakery, a continental type patisserie/boulangerie, for the crustiest bread and the scrummiest doughnuts, yummy!
For lots of information on things to do and places to eat in the area, please look at our own online guides Visit Orford, Visit Woodbridge, Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Framlingham.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 1.2 miles
- Nearest pub 1.2 miles
- 3.5 miles from the coast
Situated on the second floor within Butley Mill.
- High ceilings greet you, in the entrance hall, with wall and spot lighting, a large mirror and access to the bathroom, both bedrooms and living area. The kitchen and sitting area is open plan, and the ceiling opens up to a mezzanine floor, creating a real sense of space and light. The kitchen is fully equipped with bread bin, kettle, microwave oven, dishwasher, toaster, a double oven with twin grill and electric four ring hob, and recycling facilities.
- The four seater, round, dining table sits between the kitchen and the stylish sitting area; with a double, chocolate leather sofa and cream POÄNG armchair with footstool, a coffee table, uplight, rotating fan heater, and a mounted, flatscreen TV on rotating bracket. A stylish shelf unit is provided for storage.
- A gallery staircase leads from the sitting area to the mezzanine floor, lined with large, original beams, upon which the pulley wheels are still intact. This is a charming space to escape, with two leather chairs,a writing table and lamp and to the front of the apartment is the real feature-piece: the huge picture window in the lucam, offering spectacular panoramic views of the reed beeds, green fields, distant countryside and Butley River as it catches the Sun. The four, Lloyd Loom-style wicker armchairs and coffee table provided allow you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view over a cup of tea or glass of wine. Additionally, the owners have provided a 15-45x60 Centon Telescope for your use. Alternatively, turn your chairs around to enjoy the flatscreen TV, with Sky and DVD facilities on the gallery floor. Luxury.
- Off the hallway is the large bunkroom, which still retains the original beams on its high sloped ceiling. The room is complete with a mirrored wardrobe, a chest of drawers with lamp and make-up mirror, individual wall lights for the bunks, and a luxurious sheepskin rug. The electric heater will keep you cosy at night, and the double glazed windows, housed behind the original, iron grilles of the old mill windows, look out over the river that flows behind the property, and the pretty meadows beyond.
- Next to the bunk room is the bath room, with mirrored medicine cabinet, lighted mirror, WC and basin, and electric heated towel rail. The bath is pine panelled, with a thermostatic, Mira shower over, running off mains pressure.
- At the end of the hallway is the twin bedroom, with lovely, dark, original beams crossing the roof and stemming down through the floor. There are views to river, and each bed has its own individual wall light. With a beside cabinet, a wardrobe with full-length mirror door, a chest of drawers, leather chair, sheepskin rug and electric heater.
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, which leads onto the fenced, riverside decking. Enjoy a BBQ, eat al-fresco, or simply watch the sun go down with a glass of wine.
Services and Additional Facilities
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, with a sofas and pool table, storage room for bicycles and access onto the fenced decking area.
- Opposite the recreation room is the Sluice Room, where you will find the still-functioning sluice and lockers. From the Sluice Room is a door to the shared laundry room.
- Off the Sluice Room you will find the shared laundry room.
- Wifi provided. Internet speeds in Butley are slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Private parking next to the Mill.
- Heat and light is included with electric radiators throughout. There is a hairdryer.
- All internal doors are self closing fire doors and a fire extinguisher and blanket are provided.
- Standard Sky package.
- For children, there are two wooden cots and two high chairs available on request.
- There is a BBQ provided, with a starter pack of fuel.
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.