In the heart of Orford and just a couple of seconds from the famous Pump Street Bakery, The Lobster Pot should be your next go-to self catering cottage in Suffolk. Lovingly refurbished throughout to retain its original Victorian features, it is also packed to the brim with all the mod-con's a 21st century holidaymaker could possibly need.
The Property: Completely refurbished in 2016, the cottage owners have retained The Lobster Pot's historic features while seamlessly incorporating the best of contemporary design. The ground floor has been opened up to create a spacious sitting room, dining area and kitchen which is both really well equipped and great to cook in.
Old - The original flooring has been retained in the sitting room and kitchen where there are distinctive old Suffolk white brick flooring.
New - curved screen 4K Smart TV holiday makers can access their own Netflix, Amazon prime accounts, iPlayer, ITV Hub, digital radio stations etc., a brand new wood burning stove with warmer above - perfect for heating up Pump Street Bakery croissants. Top of the range electric radiators throughout makes The Lobster Pot perfect for winter breaks. USB points in the sitting room, kitchen and main bedroom so no need to bring your adaptors.
Outside: There is a private path leading to the back of the cottage where there is a very private sunny garden where there is both a bike shed and log store. The garden has been landscaped with shrub and cottage planting and south facing patio with table and chairs.
Sleeps 3 in one double room and a single. There is a cot and high chair available.
Ideal for: Walkers, writers, composers, artists, friends or couples looking for a really comfortable and hassle free break where you can be confident that you can purchase fine local food and wine without any need of a car and that any stroll around the village will offer a site of historic or cultural delight.
Entertainment: You can of course stay in and watch TV or read but there is so much to do in and around Orford that you are likely to be out and about most days.
Packing tips: Walking books and wellies for the winter will certainly be very useful if you are intending to make the most of the wonderful choice of scenic walks around Orford and along the coast. Take a stroll over the castle field towards Gedgrave from where you can take a ferry (rowing boat which takes bikes as well as humans and dogs) - call to arrange. With so many quiet country lanes bikes would be a bonus. Crabbing lines are a must for the child in us all! Do bring your own beach towels.
Orford is a stunning conservation coastal village equidistant from Aldeburgh and Woodbridge and just a 10-minute drive from Snape Maltings, the home of Aldeburgh Music. Orford Castlean iconic symbol of the importance of Orford since the 11th century can be seen from both the sea and the countryside around the village Orford quay is a buzz of activity throughout the day with fishing boats landing their catch and regular boat trips to Orford Ness, a fascinating shingle spit, opened to the public by the National Trust, and Havergate Island, (the very first RSPB site famed for its avocets) on the confluence of the River Ore and the Butley River. If you want to stick to the river, there are several boat trips available.
Alternatively explore the river on foot. Orford and its surrounding countryside is peppered with footpaths and byways so you can enjoy a different walk every day. If your preference is to eat in then the village shop, Orford General Store is a gem; it has a post office and a cash point as well as loads of local produce, its own cafe and a separate butchers shop.
For the best bread, pastries or a light lunch you must try The Pump Street Bakery.
There is a famous smokery. Smoked fish can be purchased in Orford at Pinneys. For fresh fish and shellfish when in season try Brinkley's Fish Shed
If you fancy dining out then book a table at The Trinity Restaurant at the Crown & Castle, or The Butley Orford Oysterage Both are a treat.
Fish lovers will adore The Butley & Orford Oysterage and of course there are two excellent pubs in the village, The Kings Head and The Jolly Sailorwill serve you an excellent meal - and you can enjoy the Adnams beer or fine wine as all are within a few minutes' walk of the cottage.
For more information on what to do in the area, please visit our sister site Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 3
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
The Ground Floor
- The front door opens directly into the sitting room which includes a log burning stove with food warmer above, basket of logs, sofa and armchair, large foot stool wall cupboard with games, book shelves and books, curved screen 4K Smart TV, access to your Netflix, Amazon prime account, iPlayer, ITV Hub, digital radio stations etc. There are lamps, a coffee table and a further free standing sideboard with local interest information
- The large kitchen includes a circular table (with extension) and 4 chairs. Brand new the kitchen includes a fully fitted with 4 ring electric hob and oven, fridge and freezer, microwave, kettle, toaster and cafetiere. Further cupboards house an iron and ironing board, hoover, mop and bucket, broom and dustpan and brush.
- There is a ground floor cloakroom and utility room with w.c., butler sink, washing machine, dishwasher, w.c., heated airing rail and heated towel rail. There are also coat hooks and space for storing boots and shoes.
- There is a door to the stairs which have a rail to one side
- The double bedroom includes a double bed, built in wardrobe with hanging and shelving space, book shelves with books, wall mounted reading lamps, Victorian feature fireplace and hairdryer.
- There is a second bedroom with single bed, Victorian feature fireplace, wall mounted reading light, built in wardrobe with hanging and shelving space, hairdryer and Roberts radio.
- The bathroom has a large walk-in corner shower with rain shower and hand held shower head, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail, mirrored bathroom cabinet and hot water bottle. There is a full length mirror on the landing.
- Directly outside the back door is a patio area surrounded by planting with table and chairs and parasol.
- There is a store room, ideal for bike storage
- There is a log store in the garden that guests are welcome to use.
- Bed linen and towels provided but please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors, guests are requested not to smoke at The Lobster Pot
- Electric heating is provided throughout and a supply of logs can be found in the log store in the garden
- Local pubs within walking distance: The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271, The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243.
- A wi fi service is provided. There are also two hairdryers at the property.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|21 Jul 17 - 1 Sep 17||£669|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£588|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£519|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£588|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£456|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£669|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Our fourth visit to Orford and this is by far the best cottage we have stayed in. It has obviously been renovated with a lot of care and attention to detail and it shows. A very relaxing fews days in a lovely location. The Buckles - 11th May 2017