DescriptionA traditional fisherman's cottage just metres from the quay at Orford, perhaps Suffolk's most attractive coastal town, the cottage has been transformed to create a cosy seaside holiday cottage for up to four people.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About this property: A cottage for all seasons, The Moorings is a cosy period fisherman's cottage situated within 100m of both Orford Quay and the Jolly Sailor pub. Appealing from both its exterior and interior, this unique property has been converted to combine modern elegance with it?s nautical beginnings.
With original beams throughout, the cottage is an authentic delight, perfect for those seeking a country holiday with archaic charm. The inviting kitchen-diner area provides guests with everything they need for preparing cosy cottage meals, and features trendy exposed brickwork detail. Cosy and comfortable, the Moorings comes with a log burner, with ample room for two dogs to recover in front of after a long day's walking in idyllic countryside. The nautical features and furnishings add a particularly individual touch; an old-world light fitting hangs from the living room ceiling, whilst miniature boats adorn the walls. The cottage has views over the marshes and estuary from the 'crow's nest' second bedroom, which is reached by a ship's ladder. The property?s centrepiece, an old Thames barge mast transformed into the main beam in the sitting room, asserts the property?s distinctive nature. All considered, a stay at The Moorings promises to be a truly unforgettable experience. Setting: Orford?s reputation as one of the most popular seaside villages in Suffolk is certainly deserved. With its nationally acclaimed restaurants, picturesque houses, 12th century church and Norman castle, Orford retains an air of peace and tranquility. An ideal destination for those seeking a peaceful countryside retreat.
This property is ideal for: A family of 4 or a small group of friends seeking an idyllic and relaxing countryside retreat with a nautical twist. There is room for a child under two, with the property also allowing for two well-behaved dogs.
Parking: In the winter, parking is permitted outside The Moorings. There is also a parking permit for The Moorings for residents use in the public car park opposite, valid all year round.
Exploring: The Moorings is situated just a couple minutes walk away from the Alde estuary, with plenty of opportunities for crabbing, sailing, bird watching, cycling and long, peaceful walks. Shops, tea rooms, restaurants and pubs are within walking distance, as well as forests, heaths and wild coastlines. Take a boat trip down the river or across to the National Trust nature reserve of Orford Ness, a Suffolk Coast and Heaths area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. At The Mooring, you are perfectly placed to explore this magical location.
For lots more information on Orford and the surrounding area, do have a look at our online guide on Visit-Orford.
Eating and Drinking Out: The Jolly Sailor is the nearest pub, with Adnams beer, hearty pub grub and views across the marshes to the sea wall. The Kings Head Inn is also close by, a quintessentially 13th century English pub serving all the pub classics as well as specials. Both pubs are highly recommended by the owners of The Moorings, and are also dog-friendly.
If you?re seeking some upscale country dining, look no further than The Crown and Castle; the restaurant boasts 2 AA rosettes as well as many positive reviews in major Suffolk coastline guides. If you love your fish, make sure to check out the non-pretentious Butley Orford Oysterage; their excellent oysters are grown in the Butley creek just a 1.5 mile walk from the village. If you?re searching for a unique dining experience, don?t miss The Lady Florence River Cruise. The restaurant is situated on the Quay, sailing year round with a cosy coal fire in Winter.
A stay at the Moorings would not be complete however without a visit to one (or all) of Orford?s fantastic tea-rooms; The Riverside Tea Room and Penny?s Cafe are always popular choices. Try Pump Street Bakery, winner of the BBC?s Food Producer award, offering hand-made bread and pastries made daily in the village - not be missed!
Self-Catering and Eating: Whilst Orford has fantastic pubs, restaurants and tearooms, with the plethora of fantastic self-catering options it will be a tricky choice over whether to stay in or go out! Fresh fish can be bought at Brinkley's Fish Shed down by the quay or at Pinney's where you can get a great range of fresh and smoked fish. For the rest of your shopping including meat go to Orford General Store which is just off Market Hill, you can even get a coffee and sit in the sunshine by the village pump. From Wednesday through to Sunday try the Pump Street Bakery, a continental type patisserie/boulangerie, for the crustiest bread and the scrummiest doughnuts - yummy!
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Saturday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
An entrance hall with coat hooks leads to the
- Kitchen with fitted cupboards, electric hob and oven, fridge with small freezer compartment, washing machine and loads of storage, microwave, kettle and toaster
- The kitchen leads through to a dining area with table and four chairs
- Two steps lead down to the sitting room with open fire, sofas and chair, occasional tables and lamps, cupboard and shelves with books and games. There is a lowish beam (thought to be a mast from a Thames barge) so mind your head! Stereo and TV with built in DVD and Freeview.
- The ground floor bathroom has a bath with overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
There is a door to a steepish cottage staircase with rail (risers about 30 cms) leads to the landing
- Door from landing leads to bedroom with canopied double bed, bedside table and lamps, built in half height wardrobe and chest of drawers
- En-suite with wash basin and w.c.
A ship's staircase (rails on both sides and stairgate at the top) leads to the second floor bedroom
- Bedroom with full size twin beds, bedside table, small chest of drawers, hooks and hangers and views over the marshes and the estuary to the sea
- Parking on the street or in the waterside car park opposite the cottage - there is residents parking permit for your use in the property - please return it before you leave
- In consideration of other visitors, holidaymakers are asked to smoke only outside the cottage
- There is a small grassed area with table and chairs to the side of the cottage. There is public right of way past the cottage to allow rear access to other properties
- Electric storage heaters and a wood burning stove
- Bed linen, towels, heating etc included (please bring own beach towels). If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- Please note the staircase to the bedroom on the second floor is steep and completely unsuitable for those with mobility problems
- If the logs and wine left in the property are used during your stay, please replace for the next guests
- A limited broadband/wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
Delightful cottage, nice position and we enjoyed our stay. Would we book this cottage again? - Yes definitely.Derek M, Bedfordshire - 24th August 2016
Lovely walks, bracing weather and a delight to come back to a lovely cottage. Finally got the hang of making a decent fire so it was lovely and cosy. Slept really well here. Recommend The Jolly Sailor for lovely food and equally lovely welcome.The Farquhars - 3rd January 2016
Lovely walks, bracing weather and a delight to come back to a lovely cottage. Finally got the hang of making a decent fire so it was lovely and cosy. Slept really well here. Recommend The Jolly Sailor for lovely food and equally lovely welcome.The Farquhars - 2nd January 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.