DescriptionProvender is perfect for a young family, looking to go for walks through the Suffolk countryside, and explore the surrounding area. Situated in a former working mill in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Provender has been awarded a 4* Quality in Tourism rating.
ORFORD 3.6 miles (5.8km), SNAPE 6.8 miles (10.9km), WOODBRIDGE 7.9 miles (12.7km), ALDEBURGH 12.3 miles (19.8km), FRAMLINGHAM 13.9 miles (22.3km), SOUTHWOLD 25.4 miles (40.9km)
About the Property:
At the top of a former working mill, and surrounded by reed beds and a flowing river, Provender is a lovely holiday apartment for a young family.
With an open plan kitchen, living and dining area, Provender provides the perfect social space. With slanting, beamed ceilings, and velux roof windows, the living area is nice and bright. Cosy up in front of the flatscreen TV for a film after a day's walking.
The master bedroom has a double window overlooking the river, willow trees and meadows beyond. Wake up to the sound of the flowing water, and sink your toes into the luxurious sheepskin rugs at either side of the king size bed.
The property was award a 4 star Tourist Board rating in 2014
Sleeps 4, plus 1 baby, in one king and 2 in full sized bunkbeds
Parking There is dedicated parking opposite the Mills.
This property is ideal for:
A family of 4, keen to explore the great outdoors. Provender is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and on a Site of Special Scientific Interest. There are lots of lovely walks in the area, as well as bird watching opportunities. A real treat for nature and countryside lovers! History enthusiasts will enjoy the working Sluice below the apartments. Nearby Orford is a wonderful place to explore, as is the historic Orford Ness beach, the former site of nuclear testing, now a wildlife reserve. Next door is Laurence Edward?s studio; you can see one of his bronze sculptures in the reeds opposite the Mills. Provender makes the perfect base for ramblers and explorers!
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking! There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For information contact the Big House holidays team on 01394 389188
Just 5 miles away, travelling through some of the most beautiful Suffolk countryside, is the village of Snape and the world famous Maltings Concert Hall with an all year round program of music and dance in every genre. This is also a great place to start a walk; either your own itinerary or join one of the guided tours from the Snape Maltingsto explore the wildlife and historic landscape of the Alde valley. There are also boat trips down the river Alde to Iken church, an area naturally rich in wildlife and a haven for wildfowl.
The Historic market town of Woodbridge is also worth visiting with the last working Tide Milland many other interesting old buildings. The river walk extends along a very easy footpath, from Wilford Bridge to the creek at Martlesham, with the Riverside Restaurantor Whistle Stop Cafeconveniently positioned around halfway. The Thoroughfare offers some interesting boutiques, galleries and several independent tea rooms so plenty to keep you busy for a day.
Eating and drinking out:
The closest eatery is The Froize Freehouse at Chillesford - easily within walking distance, taking 15 minutes on foot. Top quality, seasonal fresh food, sourced locally. The restaurant serves both lunch (everyday but Monday) and supper on Thursday - Saturday. .
Pubs in Orford includeThe Kings Head Inn, serving excellent food and Adnams ale in front of the woodburner, and the equally delightful Jolly Sailor, right near Orford Quay.The Crown and Castlerestaurant and bar in Orford has a truly unstressed and relaxing atmosphere, and serves really good, unpretentious food.
Journey a little further out and you will find the The Crown Inn, andThe Golden Keyat Snape, both serving locally brewed Adnams ales.
As well as tea rooms and an array of good shops, Snape Maltingshouses The Plough and Sail, a modern restaurant with a delicious menu consisting of local, fresh, seasonal ingredients - perfect before an evening performance at the famous Maltings concert hall!
Venture even further afield to Woodbridge or Aldeburgh and sample some of the top quality fare served in the pubs and restaurants. See Vist Woodbridgeand Visit Aldeburgh for ideas.
Self catering eating:
In nearby Orford, you will be well supplied with local produce. Fresh fish can be bought at Brinkley's Fish Shed, down by the quay, or from The Butley Orford Oysterage, where you can get oysters grown at Butley Creek, and freshly smoked trout, mackerel, cod roe, wild and farmed salmon, kippers and eel. For shopping, go to Orford General Store, which is just off Market Hill. From Wednesday through to Sunday try the Pump Street Bakery, a continental type patisserie/boulangerie, for the crustiest bread and, arguable the best doughnuts for miles!
For lots of information on things to do and places to eat in the area, please look at our own online guides Visit Orford, Visit Woodbridge, Visit Aldeburghand Visit Framlingham.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 1.2 miles
- Nearest pub 1.2 miles
- 3.5 miles from the coast
Situated on the second floor within Butley Mill.
- The entrance hall is bright with a sloping ceiling, featuring velux windows. There is a pine desk and chair a wooden cot and high chair are kept here for guests to use. From the hall you can access the two bedroom and open plan living space. The dining area has a round pine table with four chairs leading through to the sitting area with a cream leather double sofa, as well as two chocolate POÄNG armchairs with matching footstools.
- Two double velux windows and two doubled glazed windows create a bright space with great views.
- There are also two reading lamps provided for you to enjoy a good book and The flatscreen TV has DVD and Sky facilities.
- The kitchen features a double oven and twin grill, and is very well equipped with kettle, bread bin, microwave oven, Whirpool tall fridge/freezer, toaster and dishwasher.
- The family bathroom is situated off the living room, and is child friendly with a WC stool. A wooden panelled bath with thermostatic, Miro shower over, WC, basin, mirrored medicine cabinet, heated towel rail, lighted mirror, and velux windows are all provided.
- The master bedroom, with king size bed, has views of the river that runs behind the property, and the meadows beyond. There is a wardrobe, with a full length mirror door, and a stylish shelf holding a flatscreen TV and make up mirror. There are also bedside cabinets with lamps, a drawer unit, and sheepskin rugs either side of the bed. The slanting ceilings, veined with original beams, frame the large windows. Glorious.
- The small bunkroom has 2 full size bunkbeds suitable for smaller children. With velux roof windows for privacy, individual lights for the bunks, a small wardrobe, mirror, electric heater with child safety controls, and two pine chairs.
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, which leads onto the fenced, riverside decking. Enjoy a BBQ, eat al-fresco, or simply watch the sun go down with a glass of wine.
Services and Additional Facilities
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, with a sofa and pool table, storage room for bicycles and access onto the fenced decking area.
- Opposite the recreation room is the Sluice Room, where you will find the still-functioning sluice and lockers. From the Sluice Room is a door to the shared laundry room.
- Off the sluice room is a shared laundry room.
- Wifi provided. Internet speeds in Butley are slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Private parking next to the Mill.
- Heat and light is included with electric radiators throughout. There is a hairdryer provided.
- All internal doors are self closing fire doors and a fire extinguisher and blanket are provided.
- Standard Sky package.
- For Children, there are 2 wooden cots and 2 high chairs available on request. If using a travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- There is a BBQ provided, with a starter pack of fuel.
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.