DescriptionHoused in a former working mill, Samphire is the perfect base for a family who love to explore the countryside. Comfortably and stylishly refurbished to create a truly relaxing holiday space. Samphire has been awarded a 4* Quality in Tourism rating.
ORFORD 3.6 miles (5.8km), SNAPE 6.8 miles (10.9km), WOODBRIDGE 7.9 miles (12.7km), ALDEBURGH 12.3 miles (19.8km), FRAMLINGHAM 13.9 miles (22.3km), SOUTHWOLD 25.4 miles (40.9km)
About the property
Step into this first floor apartment, accessed by internal stairs, and you are struck by the many original, ornamental, dark wood beams that line the ceilings. Samphire is a 3 bedroom, sleeps 6 holiday let, housed within the walls of a former working mill. To the west of the property are views of the river, willow trees, and meadows beyond, and to the east, the expanses of reed beds and Butley Creek in the distance. Truly lovely.
Samphire has a wonderful, large, open plan kitchen and sitting area, with a dining table seating up to 8. The master bedroom is a king ensuite, and there are a further two twin bedrooms.
Spacious and comfortably furnished.
The property was award a 4 star Tourist Board rating in 2014
Sleeps 6, plus one baby, in a king ensuite, and two twin bedrooms.
Parking You will find dedicated parking opposite the Mills.
This property is ideal for:
A family or group of 6, keen to explore the great outdoors. Samphire is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and on a Site of Special Scientific Interest. There are lots of lovely walks in the area, as well as bird watching opportunities. A real treat for nature and countryside lovers! History enthusiasts will enjoy the working sluice below the apartments. Nearby Orford is a wonderful place to explore, as is the historic Orford Ness beach, the former site of wartime testing, now a wildlife reserve. Next door to the Mills is Laurence Edward?s studio; you can see one of his bronze sculptures in the reeds opposite. Samphire makes the perfect base for ramblers and explorers!
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking! There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For information contact the Big House holidays team on 01394 389188
Eating and drinking out:
The closest eatery is The Froize Freehouse at Chillesford - easily within walking distance, taking 15 minutes on foot. Top quality, seasonal fresh food, sourced locally. The restaurant serves both lunch (everyday but Monday) and supper on Thursday - Saturday.
Pubs in Orford includeThe Kings Head Inn, serving excellent food and Adnams ale in front of the woodburner, and the equally delightful Jolly Sailor, right near Orford Quay. The Crown and Castlerestaurant and bar in Orford has a truly unstressed and relaxing atmosphere, and serves really good, unpretentious food. Journey a little further out and you will find the The Crown Inn, and The Golden Keyat Snape, both serving locally brewed Adnams ales.
As well as tea rooms and an array of good shops, Snape Maltingshouses The Plough and Sail, a modern restaurant with a delicious menu consisting of local, fresh, seasonal ingredients - perfect before an evening performance at the world famous Maltings concert hall!
Venture even further afield to Woodbridge or Aldeburgh and sample some of the top quality fare served in the pubs and restaurants. See Visit Woodbridgeand Visit Aldeburghfor ideas.
Self catering eating:
In nearby Orford, you will be well supplied with local produce. Fresh fish can be bought at Brinkley's Fish Shed, down by the quay, or from The Butley Orford Oysterage, where you can get oysters grown at Butley Creek, and freshly smoked trout, mackerel, cod roe, wild and farmed salmon, kippers and eel. For shopping, go to Orford General Store, which is just off Market Hill. From Wednesday through to Sunday try the Pump Street Bakery, a continental type patisserie/boulangerie, for the crustiest bread and, arguable the best doughnuts for miles!
For lots of information on things to do and places to eat in the area, please look at our own online website guides Visit Orford, Visit Woodbridge, Visit Aldeburghand Visit Framlingham.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 1.2 miles
- Nearest pub 1.2 miles
- 3.5 miles from the coast
Situated on the first floor within Butley Mills
- A large and spacious, open plan living, dining and kitchen area.
- The long hallway has wall lights, mirror and original beams. At the far end of the hall is the living area, a bright and spacious room, served by five windows, which offer views in all directions of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that surrounds the Mills.
- There are two lovely cream, leather sofas, as well as a classic PO?NG armchair and footstool, from which you can relax and enjoy the flatscreen TV with DVD and Sky facilities. The wall lights and uplight create a cosy ambience in this sociable room and gorgeous original beams traverse the ceilings and doorways.
- The 8 seater, light oak dining table is perfect for enjoying group or family meals.
- Off the dining area is the stylish, fully equipped kitchen, with a double oven, twin grill and electric four ring hob, tall Whirpool fridge/freezer, microwave oven, cafetiere, kettle, toaster and dishwasher. The kitchen window, as with the majority of the properties windows, sits behind the original iron grilles of the old mill windows. This building is steeped in history.
- The master bedroom is a king ensuite. The king size bed sits below a large, original beam with support column, and looks out to views over the reedbeds from the double glazed window, and half glazed stable door. Together, these let in plenty of light, creating a bright and airy room. The room is comfortably furnished with bedside tables and lamps, a chest of drawers with flatscreen TV and make up mirror, a built-in wardrobe, sheepskin rug, stylish leather chair, and mirror. There is also a wooden cot (please bring your own cot bedding), should you need it.
- The ensuite has a tiled, thermostatic, Mira shower with a swing glass door, heated towel rail, WC, basin, mirror with vanity light and mirrored wall cabinet.
- Opposite the master bedroom is the first twin bedroom. A compact and cosy space, again with original beam and window features, and views to the river flowing behind the apartment. With bedside cabinet and lamp, a light oak chest of drawers, sheepskin rug, mirror and wall lights.
- Next to the first twin room is the family bathroom, complete with pine panelled bath, with thermostatic, Mira shower over, electric towel rail, mirrored wall cabinet, mirror, basin, WC and a child's step.
- Further up the hall to the right is the second twin room. With Lloyd Loom-style wicker chair, sheepskin rug, bedside cabinets and lamps, a chest of drawers, a mirror, and the usual ornate beams, original window beams, and pretty views of the reed beds to Butley Creek.
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, which leads onto the fenced, riverside decking. Enjoy a BBQ, eat al-fresco, or simply watch the sun go down with a glass of wine.
Services and Additional Facilities
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, with a sofas and pool table, storage room for bicycles and access onto the fenced decking area.
- Opposite the recreation room is the Sluice Room, where you will find the still-functioning sluice and lockers. From the Sluice Room is a door to the shared laundry room.
- From the Sluice Room is a door to the shared laundry room.
- Wifi provided. Internet speeds in Butley are slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Private parking next to the Mill.
- Heat and light is included with electric radiators throughout. There is a hairdryer.
- All internal doors are self closing fire doors and a fire extinguisher and blanket are provided.
- Standard Sky package.
- For Children, there are two wooden cots and two high chairs provided. If using the cots, please provide your own bedding.
- There is a BBQ provided, with a starter pack of fuel.
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.