DescriptionA one bedroom apartment, housed in a former mill. The perfect base for a couple keen to explore the Suffolk countryside with their dog, with beautiful views in all directions. Thomas Crisp has been awarded a 4* Quality in Tourism rating.
ORFORD 3.6 miles (5.8km), SNAPE 6.8 miles (10.9km), WOODBRIDGE 7.9 miles (12.7km), ALDEBURGH 12.3 miles (19.8km), FRAMLINGHAM 13.9 miles (22.3km), SOUTHWOLD 25.4 miles (40.9km)
About the property: Thomas Crisp is part of the Butley Mills, a former working mill. Nestled between the picturesque Butley Creek and vast reed beds, the property boasts views of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that surrounds it. The property was award a 4 star Tourist Board rating in 2014
Accessed by an external wooden staircase, Thomas Crisp is on the first floor of the Mills. There is an open plan kitchen and living room, with a small dining table. Look out over the flowing river to the back of the apartment as you brew a cup of tea in the fully equipped, tastefully decorated kitchen. The bedroom overlooks the river and meadows beyond; the double glazed window sits behind the original iron grilles of the old Mill windows, reminding you that this property is steeped in history.
Sleeps: 2 in one double
Parking: You will find designated parking at the foot of the staircase.
This property is ideal for: Dog walkers, keen to explore the surrounding Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Take in the beautiful countryside views, of reed beds, forest, Butley River and the meadows and fields in all directions. History enthusiasts will enjoy the working Sluice below the apartments, and birdwatchers and nature lovers can get lost in this Site of Special Scientific Interest. Nearby Orford is a wonderful place to explore, as is the historic Orford Ness beach, the former site of nuclear testing, now a wildlife reserve. Next door is Laurence Edward?s studio; you can see one of his bronze sculptures in the reeds opposite the Mills. Though basic, Thomas Crisp makes the perfect base for ramblers and explorers!
Just 5 miles away, travelling through some of the most beautiful Suffolk countryside, is the village of Snape and the world famous Maltings Concert Hall with an all year round program of music and dance in every genre. This is also a great place to start a walk, either from your own itinerary or one of the guided tours from Snape Maltings, exploring the wildlife and historic landscape of the Alde valley. There are also boat trips down the river Alde to Iken church, an area naturally rich in wildlife and a haven for wildfowl.
The Historic market town of Woodbridge is also worth visiting with the last working Tide Mill and many other interesting old buildings. The river walk extends along a very easy footpath, from Wilford Bridge to the creek at Martlesham, with the Riverside Restaurantor Whistle Stop Cafeconveniently positioned around halfway. The Thoroughfare offers some interesting boutiques, galleries and several independent tea rooms - plenty to keep you busy.
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking? There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For more information contact the Big House Holidays team on 01394 389188
Eating and drinking out: The closest eatery is The Froize Freehouse at Chillesford - easily within walking distance, taking 15 minutes on foot. Expect top quality, seasonal fresh food, sourced locally. The restaurant serves both lunch (everyday but Monday) and supper on Thursday - Saturday.
Pubs in Orford include The Kings Head Inn, serving excellent food and Adnams ale in front of the woodburner, and the equally delightful Jolly Sailor near Orford Quay. The Crown and Castle restaurant and bar in Orford has a truly unstressed and relaxing atmosphere, and serves really good, unpretentious food. Journey a little further out and you will find the The Crown Inn and The Golden Key at Snape, both serving locally brewed Adnams ales.
As well as tea rooms and an array of good shops, Snape Maltings houses The Plough and Sail, a modern restaurant with a delicious menu consisting of local, fresh, seasonal ingredients - perfect before an evening performance at the famous Maltings concert hall! Venture even further afield to Woodbridge or Aldeburgh and sample some of the top quality fare served in the pubs and restaurants. See Visit Woodbridge and Visit Aldeburghfor information.
Self catering eating: In nearby Orford, you will be well supplied with local produce. Fresh fish can be bought at Brinkley's Fish Shed down by the quay, or from The Butley Orford Oysterage, where you can get oysters grown at Butley Creek and freshly smoked trout, mackerel, cod roe, wild and farmed salmon, kippers and eel. For shopping, go to Orford General Store, which is just off Market Hill. From Wednesday through to Sunday try the Pump Street Bakery, a continental type patisserie/boulangerie - they sell only the crustiest of bread and arguably the best doughnuts for miles!
For lots of information on things to do and places to eat in the area, please look at our own online guides Visit Orford, Visit Woodbridge, Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Framlingham.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 1.2 miles
- Nearest pub 1.2 miles
- 3.5 miles from the coast
The property is accessed via an external wooden staircase, leading to the front door.
- There is a small entrance lobby with access to the bathroom, bedroom and living area.Open plan kitchen and living room, with a small dining table, two cottage armchairs (one rocking) with footstool, a flatscreen TV with DVD and Sky facilities, an electric fan, electric convector/storage heater, and a coffee table.
- There is a double glazed, double window to the front of the apartment, bringing in lots of light, and boasting views of Butley Creek and the reed beds. For darker days, the wall lights and uplight create a warm ambience in this neat apartment.
- Kitchen with marble-style worktops and tiled splashback, you will find a Beko double oven, with electric four ring stove and extractor hood, microwave oven, small Hotpoint fridge with ice box, a kettle and a toaster.
- Bedroom complete with a double bed, Lloyd Loom-style wicker armchair, wardrobe with a full-length-mirrored door, large chest of drawers with lamp and make-up mirror, bedside cabinets with lamps, and a luxury sheepskin rug. Lights are on a dimmer switch and can also be controlled by a switch at the bedside for your convenience.
- The bathroom features a tiled, thermostatic Mira shower, working off the mains pressure, with pivot glass door. In addition to the standard WC and basin, there is an electric towel rail, lighted mirror, and mirrored medicine cabinet.
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, which leads onto the fenced, riverside decking which is fenced. Enjoy a BBQ, eat al-fresco, or simply watch the sun go down with a glass of wine.
Services and Additional Facilities
- On the ground floor of the Mills you will find a communal recreational room, with a sofa and pool table, storage room for bicycles and access onto the fenced decking area.
- Opposite the recreation room is the Sluice Room, where you will find the still-functioning sluice and lockers. From the Sluice Room is a door to the shared laundry room.
- Wifi provided. Internet speeds in Butley are slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Private parking next to the apartment.
- Heat and light is included with electric radiators throughout. There is also a hairdryer provided.
- All internal doors are self closing fire doors and a fire extinguisher and blanket are provided.
- Standard Sky package.
- For children, there are 2 wooden cots and 2 high chairs available.
- The is a BBQ provided, with a starter pack of fuel.
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.