This detached 1850s fisherman's cottage has wonderful views over the estuary. In the heart of Pin Mill, a hamlet made famous by its much loved pub, The Butt and Oyster, Arthur Ramsome's Swallows and Amazons books and its popularity with sailors, bird watchers and artists, River View is the perfect holiday cottage for a holiday by the water.
SHOTLEY 3 miles, IPSWICH 7 miles, MANNINGTREE 10 miles, FLATFORD and DEDHAM 15 miles, COLCHESTER 23 miles. Harwich and Felixstowe can be reached by foot ferry from Shotley.
About the Property: A traditional Suffolk cottage, River View has a large lobby opening into the dining room, a spacious fully fitted kitchen with a lovely old wood-burning stove and a good sized sitting room, again boasting a wood-burner. Upstairs there are two lovely bedrooms, both with views over the river and a large bathroom with Victorian style roll top bath. Sip a glass of champagne and watch the boats go by.
River View is set backfrom the Pin Mill common, overlooking a large private garden and the water meadows. Newly furnished, the cottage has such modern accoutrements as wifi, an excellent selection of kitchen equipment alongside two lovely wood burning stoves and many classic board games, jigsaws, wonderful walks and views to enjoy. Step back in time and enjoy the delights of this stunning and unspoilt village and the peace and tranquility of River View.
The garden is landscaped and includes a useful shed for bike storage etc; there is an orchard area with several varieties of apple, pear and cherry tree and an area of lawn surrounded by shrub borders. Close to the cottage is a patio area with a herb garden - guests are welcome to help themselves to seasonal herbs.
This property is ideal for: Families or couples who enjoy days outdoors and relaxing evenings in front of the fire with a good book or board game. River View has a charming timber clad outhouse with spanking new shower room, children's bunk room (perfect for youngsters wanting a night away from the grown ups) and anti room with children's seating and hooks for coats etc; great for dumping outdoor wear after a day's sailing or walking before having an invigorating shower.
River View is the perfect property for youngsters and adults who have been brought up on Britain's most-loved children's holiday adventures - Swallows & Amazons. In 1936, the Ransomes moved to Broke Farm at Levington on the opposite bank of the Orwell estuary, so that when Ransome wrote, he could look out his window across to Pin Mill. Himself a keen sailor, his yacht, Nancy Blackett, remains moored here to this day. Two of his wonderful stories are set on the stunning Suffolk coast here at Pin Mill. We Didn't Mean to go to Sea (1937), the first of Ransome's Suffolk stories, tells of the Swallows holidaying at Pin Mill while they await their father's return from China. Secret Water (1939) is another wonderful adventure story set on the Suffolk coast, charting how the Swallows are marooned on an island south of Pin Mill.
The secret of the continuing popularity of these children's classics resides very much in Ransome's "love of the landscape". It is easy to see why Ransome loved this pocket of Suffolk. Picturesque, nestled amongst an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, with the River Orwell, surrounding woodland and heathland, sailors and birdlife (wigeon, pochard and teal in winter and chiffchaff and common tern in summer), bobbing boats and magnificent Thames barges, Pin Mill makes a remarkable holiday destination.
About the Area: The river is still well used by yachts and Thames barges, and Pin Mill is a popular spot for both those ashore and afloat, indeed it is regularly visited by artists, birdwatchers, cyclists, walkers and yachtsmen. The much loved Butt and Oyster pub stands at the top of the hard, and two boat yards still work either side of the common. The mudflats that are exposed at low water are a haven for wildlife, wading birds and occasionally seals. Pin Mill is set in an area of outstanding natural beauty and bordered by national trust woods, fields and marshes, with footpaths every direction.
You can still moor your yacht in the harbour, or learn to sail at nearby Alton Water or Pin Mill Sailing Club. There are wonderful paths to walk and routes to cycle and Pin Mill Studio, where, like Ransome, you can sketch the harbourside.
Eating and Drinking out: The Butt & Oyster, the very 17th century pub that provided the backdrop to the opening chapters of both of Ransome?s Suffolk novels, is just seconds from the front door of River View. Slightly further afield, in the nearby village of Chelmondiston, The Red Lion aims to provide good, affordable food. A favourite with the locals, open 5 days a week.
Self Catering: Rations for your adventures can be found at Hall Farm Shop or Orwell Stores (other small shops can be found in Chelmondiston, or the Suffolk Food Hall is just over 10 minutes away by car and just beyond is Ipswich and Manningtree with many more shopping options).
For more information about the area, head to Visit Constable Country, or to read more about Pin Mill, click here.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 7.2 miles
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- The front door opens into the entrance lobby with a unit for boot and shoe storage and coat hooks. A curtain can be drawn to prevent draughts coming through to the main rooms. The lobby leads into the dining room and sitting room.
- Sitting room with wood-burner, chest of drawers, TV with Freeview, lamp, occasional tables, bookcase including a selection of books provided by the owner, two wicker sofas seating four and an easy chair. A selection of board games is also provided by the owner.
- Dining room with wooden table and chairs for four in addition to further coat hooks. A door to the left of the room leads to the kitchen. The stairs are also accessed from here.
- A door from the dining room leads to the large kitchen with fitted cupboards and butler sink with plenty of storage space and cooking utensils including a kettle, cafetiere, toaster, microwave, DAB radio, wine rack, spice rack, a selection of cookery books, fan oven with four ring gas hob, dishwasher and fridge with ice making compartment. The kitchen also has a wood burning stove, occasional chair and window seat making the room cosy and inviting. A door leads out into the garden.
- Stairs (steepish) lead from the dining room round to the first floor. Please note that the stairs do have low ceilings so do take care.
- Master bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside tables, bedside lamps, feature fireplace, two easy chairs, chest, mirror and built in cupboard with hanging space. Views of the river.
- Bathroom with claw foot, roll top bath, w.c., hand basin and heated towel rail. Views of the river.
- Twin bedroom with full sized single beds, feature fireplace, two occasional chairs, bedside lamps, built in cupboards with hanging space. Views of the river.
- River View is approached by a long garden path, bordered by fruit trees and planting with lawned areas leading down to a small stream.
- Partly fenced garden. There is a spacious outbuilding close to the house with bathroom with large shower, w.c. and wash basin, a tiny bunk room and small play room with hooks for coat storage. Please note the bunk room is NOT to be used for additional guests but is great for kids wanting a night's comfortable camping.
- Please note: there is a small stream running through the garden with access to the surrounding farmland, please do not leave young children unattended outside.
- There are plenty of walks around the property, a selection of maps and directions have been left by the owners.
- There is bike storage available in one of the outbuildings.
- Off road parking for one car
- Central heating (calor gas) throughout the house; there is also a log burning stove in the sitting room and another in the kitchen.
- Non-allergic duvets and pillows, 600 TC bed linen and luxury towels provided. Please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other holidaymakers please do not smoke in the house
- Wi fi is provided.
- The Butt and Oyster - tel. 01473 780764
- A designated parking spot for 1 car in the car park from which there is a short, downhill walk to the property.
- One well behaved dog very welcome - the garden is not fully fenced
- Washing machine, washing line, iron and ironing board available
Love River View and its location. Great website and easy to use. Reservation staff very friendly and helpful. We will book again next year!Miss A Pellicci - 2nd August 2017
We have just returned from River View, Pin Mill and wanted to let you know how much we loved the cottage - it was a delight to stay in - we loved the location and found the cottage comfortable and totally unpretentious, just how it should be! We would love to return.The Muncey Family - 10th May 2016
What a treat to be the first to stay at River View! It is all set up beautifully and we have been very comfortable. The riverside walks and the pub are better than ever and the neighbours friendly and helpful. We feel so relaxed it is hard to leave. Thank you so much.A previous customer - 24th April 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.