Christmas Cottage is a beautifully converted traditional Suffolk barn. It retains much of the old stud work and beams and incorporates quality finishes. Warm and cosy in winter, it has underfloor heating and a lovely log burning stove. In Summer, guests can enjoy the sun trap terrace complete with its own hot tub, and the extensive gardens.
SNAPE 2.5 miles (4 km), ALDEBURGH 5 miles (8.5 km), THORPENESS 6.5 miles (10.5 km)
This Suffolk Cottage Holiday Property: Once a traditional two storey cow barn with hayloft above, this red brick Suffolk barn has been beautifully converted to create a comfortable two bedroom holiday cottage. Retaining many of its original studwork posts and beams, the ground floor has 19 century slate floors throughout (reclaimed from The Records Office in Chancery Lane, London). Reclaimed wood has been used to create the straight staircase which leads to the first floor where there are wooden floors throughout, comfortable beds and a spacious shower room. Locally reclaimed materials have been used for finishes wherever possible and there is a lovely wood burning stove in the sitting room.
Setting: Close to the Suffolk coast amidst farmland, in the heart of the Suffolk Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Know what you're getting: One of three self-catering holiday cottages at Red House Barns, the farm on which Christmas Cottage is situated is used in part for the cultivation of Christmas trees.
House style: Victorian brick-constructed barn with an open-plan living space, simple but well furnished with a real eye for comfort - includes hypnos beds, quality bed linen, traditional log burning stove, underfloor heating, dishwasher, washing machine etc. Everything is of good quality.
Grounds: A long farm track leads from the village of Sternfield to Red House Barns. Outside to the front is a drive and plenty of parking space away to the left, whilst French doors from the sitting room open onto a fenced terrace with table and chairs and lovely hot tub. Beyond the terrace is a communal lawned garden with mature trees and shrubs. To one side of the barns is a single storey building with large games room and shower room (with disabled access). Outside the games room is a covered area with space for bikes, outdoor wear etc. Beside the games room is a large grassed area with table and chairs and loads of space for ball games, dog walking etc. The surrounding farmland is peppered with public footpaths and the track and nearby bridleways are good for cycling. There are further farm buildings opposite the barns which are used for grain storage.
Ideal for: An outdoor loving family with children, two couples or a larger group taking Stable Cottage (sleeps 2) and Reindeer Cottage (sleeps 4) as well. Close to the coast at Aldeburgh and Thorpeness, it will suit beach lovers. Just a 20 minute drive from RSPB Minsmere.
Children: Great for children, there is lots of outside space for games, reindeer in the stable yard across the way and a lovely games room with table top football and table tennis. Close to the coast, Christmas Cottage will be great fun in summer or winter and particularly appealing to children prior to Christmas when there is a lovely Christmas shop in one of the farm barns. However, this is a working farm and children should be kept away from farm machinery and working buildings.
Eating & Drinking: The nearest pubs are in Snape (3 in all) and at Aldeburgh, where there are also some excellent restaurants. You can buy fresh fish from the fishermen on the beach and there are several excellent local produce shops selling organic fruit and vegetables as well as fresh samphire and lovely Metfield bread.
Music: CD radio in the sitting room and a year round programme of musical events at Aldeburgh and Snape Maltings Concert Hall, home of Aldeburgh Music.
- Hot tub
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 2.5 miles
- Nearest pub 2.5 miles
- 5.6 miles from the coast
- The ground floor has an open plan sitting room and dining room, the Kitchen is separate behind the dining area. Coffee table, TV with DVD and WiFi. Two leather sofas to sit back and enjoy the wood burning stove
- The dining area has a table and four dining chairs
- The kitchen is fully fitted with slate work surfaces, electric cooker with double oven and ceramic hob, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, door to large larder with fridge and freezer
- There is a ground floor cloakroom with wash basin and w.c.
- A straight wooden staircase leads to the first floor landing, but does have a stair gate
- The bathroom has a corner shower, separate bath, wash basin and w.c.
- Double bedroom with king sized Hypnos bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, and wardrobe with drawers and mirror.
- The twin bedroom has two 3ft Hypnos single beds with bedside chest, chest of drawers. Hooks and hangers
- French doors open from the sitting room directly on to a paved terrace with garden table and chairs, and parasol and your own private hot tub
- There is a large communal garden beyond, mianly laid to lawn with mature trees and shrubs
- Christmas Cottage is one of three converted barns (Stable Cottage and Reindeer Cottage) at Red House Barns. They share use of a large games room with table tennis and table football, with accessibility for wheel chair users (Stable Cottage has accommodation for the disabled)
- Games Room - Outside the games room is a covered area with storage room for bikes, boots and outdoor wear. There is a tumble dryer, ironing board and iron and travel cot
- There is a large shower room with corner shower, w.c. (with adaptation for the disabled and wheel chair users) and wash basin
- There is a table seating at least ten people which can be used by those booking the three cottages (Stable Cottage, Reindeer Cottage and Christmas Cottage) together (sleeps 10), Red House Barns
- There is parking for two cars close to the cottage
- Now with its' own hot tub
- Bed linen and towels are provided, please bring own beach towels
- There is full central heating through out as well as a wood burning stove in the sitting room
- In consideration of other guests please do not smoke in the cottage or the games room
- A rigid cot is provided in Christmas Cottage. If using it, please provide your own bedding.
- A limited broadband / wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
Great barn and location. Kids loved the Reindeer and games room, and Rufus (the dog) loved being on a farm with the country lanes. We will be back - we will recommend you to friends. Thank you.The B Family, Beckenham - 23rd September 2016
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.