Within just a few miles of Aldeburgh and the Suffolk coast. A delightful and well equipped self-catering holiday property ideal for couples, with the fun of having your own hot tub.
SNAPE 2.5 miles (4 km), ALDEBURGH 5 miles (8.5 km), THORPENESS 6.5 miles (10.5 km)
Style: A superb single-storey barn conversion. Completed in 2010, the conversion makes full use of the lovely beams and studwork of the original stables.
Setting: A beautifully converted traditional Suffolk barn in the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guests can enjoy their own patio area with hot tub, table and chairs. A large garden and grounds are shared with two other cottages, as well as a games room. The cottage is also close to the coast, which can be reached half a mile up a private track.
House style: Victorian brick-constructed barn with an open-plan living space, simple furnishing and with a real eye to comfort, nice log burning stove, underfloor heating, dishwasher, washing machine and a large well-equipped bathroom with both bath and separate wet room shower. The Hypnos beds can be zipped together as a super king, or separated as 2 full size singles. There is wheelchair access throughout.
Grounds: A pleasant paved terrace complete with lovely hot tub, garden table and chairs can be reached through French windows from the sitting room. Beyond is a lawned garden (shared with Christmas Cottage and Reindeer Cottage). The three barns share use of a large games room and open lawned play area - great for ball games. The properties are on a working farm (arable and forestry) so care should be taken with children, who should not be allowed near farm machinery, and there are reindeer in stables near the property. Plenty of parking.
Sleeps: 2 in one superking or twin beds (please state preference at time of booking), and a baby.
Ideal for: An outdoor loving couple, walkers, music lovers (Snape Maltings Concert Hall, home of the Snape Proms and the Aldeburgh Festival, is just a few miles from the cottage). Stable Cottage can be booked in combination with Christmas Cottage and/or Reindeer Cottage, which together provide self-catering accommodation for up to 10 people (plus babies). A great choice for a multi-generational family - everyone has the benefit of their own front door whilst sharing communal space. There is a dining table seating 10 in the games room for when the whole family want to eat together.
Eating and Drinking: Family groups taking all three properties - Stable Cottage, Christmas Cottage and Reindeer Cottage (collectively known as Red House Barns) - can enjoy family meals in the large games room (centrally heated), where there is a dining table and seating for 10+.
Close to Aldeburgh, Snape and Orford there are excellent restaurants and pubs. Aldeburgh boasts The Lighthouse, Regatta, the Brudenell, White Lion, and the Wentworth - all of which have an excellent menu. The fish and chip shops - both owned by the same people - are world famous, although there tend to be healthy queues in summer. There are also several good pubs in Aldeburgh as well as shops selling Suffolk's excellent range of local produce - look out for fresh fish from the fishermen's huts on the beach. Saxmundham (just a couple of miles from the cottage) has a Waitrose which now does home deliveries.
Snape Maltings Concert Hall (home of Aldeburgh Productions and a venue for concerts throughout the year) has its own pre-concert restaurant. The village has three excellent pubs; The Golden Key, The Crown Inn and The Plough and Sail, all of which serve really good food.
Children: If visiting as a family, children will love the Red House Barns complex. There is a great games room with table tennis table and table top football, and outside there is plenty of space for ball games. The owners of the farm grow Christmas trees. Just ten minutes drive from the beaches at Aldeburgh and Thorpeness, no holiday will be complete without a row or paddle on the 65 acre Meare (shallow lake).
Packing tips: Beachwear and walking boots, bicycles (dry storage beside the games room). Bring your binoculars - this is a great area for birdwatching with the RSPB Minsmere nature reserve just a 20 minute drive away.
- Hot tub
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 2.5 miles
- Nearest pub 2.5 miles
- 5.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the ground floor.
- A slope with hand rail leads to the front door
- Entrance hall with brick floor leads to the living room
- The living room is open plan with dining table and four chairs, sofa and log burning stove, TV and DVD
- There is a kitchen area with electric cooker with double oven and ceramic hob, fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave and toaster, stainless steel sink and drainer
- French doors from the sitting room lead to the terrace
- The bathroom is adapted for wheelchair access and includes a wet room shower with chair and hand rails, a bath, w.c. with rail to help wheelchair users, wash basin
- The ground floor bedroom has two full sized single Hypnos beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King by request, at the time of booking), bedside cabinet with light, wardrobe with full length hanging space and drawers, chair
- A limited broadband / wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
- French doors open from the sitting room directly on to a paved terrace with hot tub, garden table and chairs, and parasol
- There is a large communal garden beyond, mainly laid to lawn with mature trees and shrubs
- Stable Cottage is one of three converted barns (Christmas Cottage and Reindeer Cottage) at Red House Barns. They share use of a large games room, with accessibility for wheelchair users
- For those with disabled passengers, cars may stop directly outside the cottage, with car parking just a few metres from the cottage
- Own outdoor hot tub
- Outside the games room is a covered area with storage room for bikes, boots and outdoor wear
- There is a large shower room with corner shower, w.c. (with adaptation for the disabled and wheel chair users) and wash basin
- Tumble dryer and travel cot
- The games room itself includes table tennis table and table football
- There is a table seating at least ten people which can be used by those booking the three cottages (Stable Cottage, Reindeer Cottage and Christmas Cottage) together (sleeps 10)
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£507|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£471|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£507|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£471|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£573|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£485|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£500|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£485|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£520|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£500|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£590|
|1 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||£520|
|15 Jun 18 - 22 Jun 18||£570|
|22 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£520|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£570|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£590|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£570|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£520|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£500|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£520|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£485|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£590|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Beautifully designed, very comfortable, and well located for visiting the Suffolk coast. We love the hot tub! It was pretty much perfect.Val R, London - 22nd July 2016
Thank you very much for a lovely stay, far from the city smog. Lovely hearing the wind in trees and walking through hayfields in the evening. Warm, cosy and clean - wish we could stay on!P. Jeffrey - 29th August 2014