DescriptionA superb quality barn conversion. Sleeping 8, Vancouver Barn has a really large sitting / dining room with dining for 18. It adjoins two further barns - Sewell Barn (sleeps 2) and Brand Barn (sleeps 8) which can be hired all together as Vale Farm Barns.
Vancouver Barn Sutton, Suffolk, United Kingdom
WOODBRIDGE 7 miles (11 km), ORFORD 12 miles (19 km), ALDEBURGH 23 miles (37 km)
A traditional Suffolk barn now beautifully converted into luxury and spacious holiday accommodation.
A spacious patio with table and chairs and barbecue, acres of grass and an open barn with table tennis, you can even hire a hot tub for your stay. Vancouver Barn is In the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, close to the Suffolk Coast and the River Deben. Vancouver Barn is one of three mid Victorian farm buildings known as Vale Farm Barns. It started life as a five-bay weather-boarded barn with slate roof and its outward structure remains very similar to its original design. Today the bays are gone, replaced by state of the art kitchen, enormous open plan sitting / dining room and four luxury bedrooms and bathrooms. If you want top quality spacious, comfortable accommodation surrounded by stunning countryside, look no further.
A terrace with table and chairs reached via French doors from the sitting room. Beyond the terrace are lawns and a complex of cart sheds and open barns with table tennis, a laundry and storage for bicycles, sailing equipment etc. Surrounding Vale Farm Barns are 3,000 acres of farmland, two thirds of which are farmed in conjunction with the Suffolk Wildlife Trust to ensure the conservation of the rare flora and fauna of one of the few remaining areas of undamaged Sandlings heath. Sheep graze the heathland areas, where the nightjar nests whilst horses and ponies canter around the meadow pastures. Pine belts protect the light sandy fields from erosion. There are secret copses of ancient trees much favoured by deer, four hundred year old orchards. Holiday at Vancouver and you will have access to the tracks and pathways which criss cross this rare and fascinating landscape.
A large family gathering, group of friends or even a wedding group with up to 17/18 staying at Vale Farm Barns - wedding parties by special arrangement only. Outdoor-loving groups will enjoy the freedom of the walks, cycle paths and bridleways. Trekking can be arranged from Poplar Park Equestrian Centre, and if you don't want to ride but would like to try your hand at carriage driving, this is also available on the estate. Just a few miles from the sea, you can bring along your RIB or dinghy, which can be launched at near by Bawdsey, from where there is a foot and cycle ferry across the Deben to Felixstowe Ferry. Whether you a member of the National Trust or not, Sutton Hoo is well worth a visit and is just a few minutes along the road to Woodbridge (a 10-15 minute drive). Woodbridge, on the other side of the Wilford Bridge, was once a wealthy ship building town and Armada ships as well as many fishing vessels were once built here. Today it is a sleepy market town, its waterfront and the town centre - where you will see many ancient buildings - well worth a visit. A little further afield is Orford, don't miss the castle and the quay; and Aldeburgh and Thorpeness both with lovely beaches and lots to see and do.
Eating and drinking:
There is loads of organic local produce available including of course fresh caught fish. With such a choice it is hardly surprising that the country's best chefs flock here and there are great restaurants in Woodbridge, Orford and Aldeburgh. Adnams beer is rightly world famous and served in some excellent country pubs. There is a great pub within around a 15 minute walk of Vancouver Barn: The Sorrel Horse at Shottisham, and just a couple of miles away in Alderton you can get great Indian takeaway from the Swan Pub. For much more information on the area, events and things to do go to Visit-Woodbridge.
They will love it. Okay, there isn't loads of 'organised' entertainment, but they will have the chance to enjoy walking and riding, sailing (there are summer courses at Bawdsey) and swimming, crabbing and cycling. Let them travel back in time and learn something about the joys of holidays in the country - and when you return to Vancouver there is plenty of space for indoor and outdoor games, leisurely meals, DVDs and book reading.
Wi-fi connection is, like the county, slow!
Beachwear and Wellington boots. Riding hat, bikes and sailing gear.
- Sleeps 8
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.8 mile
- Nearest pub 0.8 mile
- 5.8 miles from the coast
- Large glazed doors open to the hallway and staircase
- The kitchen is fully fitted with butler sink, dishwasher, electric hob and double oven, microwave and American style fridge freezer
- A step down from the kitchen takes you to the enormous open plan dining / sitting room
- The dining area has a large dresser, serving table and dining table seating 12 to 14; there is a second table ideal for games and puzzles, which can be used as an overflow dining table when taking Vancouver Barn in conjunction with Brand Barn and Sewell Barn
- The sitting area has 3 sofas, sofa table, TV, DVD free view and sound system and log burning stove.and french doors opening on to the terrace
- There is a second separate sitting room with TV / DVD, a fantastic snug for the children or adults with sofa and bean bags and a coffee table.
- There is a ground floor cloakroom with wash basin and w.c.
- A magnificent galleries landing divides the two sleeping areas
- The two master bedroom suites are very different, though equally well finished. Furnishing for the master bedroom to the left of the staircase consist of a king sized bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, wardrobe and chest of drawers, A vaulted ceiling and windows overlooking the woodland and meadows beyond make this a really stunning room
- There is deep floor to ceiling shelving just inside the en-suite shower room which has a double sized shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Beside the master bedroom is a twin bedroom with 3ft single beds, bedside lights and under bed storage
- The family bathroom has a roll top bath, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail and a chest of drawers and mirror.
- Bedroom 3 has full sized bunk beds, chest of drawers
- Large shower room with double shower, wash basin, w.c and a chest of drawers with mirror over.
- The second master bedroom has a king sized double bed and bedside tables and lamps, a fitted wardrobe and a large area of shelving
- The en-suite bathroom has a double shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- There is a private terrace with table and chairs, beyond which is a large area of lawn which surrounds the three holiday properties of Vale Farm Barns. Beyond this are areas of grass and some farm barns where there is a table tennis table, etc. Another barn houses an old farm cart. A great area for the children to explore. This area is fenced and gated
- A further barn contains the laundry with washing machines and tumble dryer etc.
- Centrally heated thoughout, a log burning stove, logs are provided, the ground floor has underfloor heating, the first floor radiators
- Heating, electricity, bed linen and towels provided. Please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- A limited broadband / wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
- The Sutton Plough - tel. 01394 411785. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.