DescriptionA delightful and very spacious property for up to 4, beautifully furnished in keeping with its Edwardian style. Featuring large rooms and a charming attic area, Albion House is located at the top of a hill, overlooking the beautiful countryside of the Suffolk coastal area. With the Alde river and the world famous Snape Maltings Concert Hall just a 10 minute walk from the property, Albion House is ideally located to enjoy all that Snape has to offer.
ALDEBURGH 6 miles, ORFORD 7.5 miles, SOUTHWOLD 18 miles, DUNWICH 17 miles WOODBRIDGE 11 miles
About the Property: Albion House Studio has been recently refurbished to create an incredibly spacious and utterly delightful holiday home for up to four people. The bedroom has a super king, zip and link single bed/s and charming little balcony - ideal for al fresco breakfasts).
The ground floor kitchen/dining room includes a very well-equipped, fully-fitted galley kitchen and attractive dining table overlooking the garden. The first floor bedroom/sitting room has a small balcony with cafe style table and two chairs. The large en suite bedroom has windows on two sides, offering far reaching views of the countryside with the Snape Maltings and the river in the distance. There is both an en suite bathroom and a separate shower, wash basin and w.c. A further flight of stairs takes guests to the 'quiet' room; a studio, writing room or just somewhere for quiet contemplation.
Albion House has a rich history. It was once a convent, home to a dozen or more nuns. The current owners have lovingly restored the house and its outbuildings, converting the stables into The Writer's Studio some three years ago. In 2015, this was made into a totally self-contained holiday home from one half of the original house.
Charmingly furnished, the owners (both of whom are writers) have included an eclectic selection of books, music and art. Delightful.
Outside: The Studio's south-west facing garden is to the front of the house, and is fully fenced and gated. It includes a small lawn area as well as a patio with garden table and chairs. Delicately screened from the path by trees and grasses.
Parking: Off road parking for one to two cars.
Sleeps: 2 + 2 in one super king / zip and link twin bedded room with bathroom. There is a single bed with pull out bed in the sitting room for further guests.
Setting: Situated on high ground in Snape, visitors are within easy walking distance of the village shop and three excellent pubs. The property's location allows visitors to take in views over the Alde Estuary and Snape Maltings, a small complex of shops, restaurants and galleries, as well as the renowned Snape Maltings Concert Hall.
This property is ideal for: Albion House Studio is the perfect base for those who enjoy walking, cycling, music, art, fine dining or simply relaxing. Snape Maltings Concert Hall has an all year round programme of music and dance in every genre, as well as hosting such events as the Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival and FlipSide, a Latin American celebration of the arts. This is also a great place to start a walk, exploring the historic landscape and wonderful natural environment of the Alde valley; either follow your own chosen path (there are many spectacular walks from here) or join one of the guided tours from the Snape Maltings. We also recommend taking one of the boat trips down the river Alde to Iken church, an area naturally rich in wildlife and a haven for wildfowl.
Suffolk is not completely flat, as anyone who has cycled here will confirm, but the quiet country lanes and pathways provide a picturesque ride with some great pubs and tearooms to punctuate your journey. Snape, Woodbridge and particularly Aldeburgh are rich in art galleries for viewing, collecting or inspiration. You will find a great art shop in Woodbridge that is an Aladdin's cave of art materials, perfect for creating your own landscape masterpiece.
Eating and Drinking: With three local pubs, all of which offer food from fish and chips to gourmet cuisine, you can dine out without even getting into a car. Further afield, Aldeburgh has some great restaurants; The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce.
The historic fishing town of Orford is situated on the rivers Alde and Ore and well worth a visit for lunch, supper or just to explore. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s, and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day. The Crown & Castle, co-owned by Ruth Watson of TV's The Hotel Inspector fame, offers a wonderful menu with great reviews.
Self Catering: There are several good farm shops nearby; Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just before you get to the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market, Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings and you can buy groceries and newspapers at the village stores.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at Visit Snape.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 5.4 miles from the coast
- Hall with coat stand, door to kitchen/dining room, stairs to first floor.
- A brand new galley kitchen with hob and oven, washing machine/dryer, dishwasher, toaster, kettle, cafetiere and lots of kitchen equipment. There is a lovely antique dining table in front of the window, 4 chairs and a large dresser with cutlery and china, and a wall mounted TV.
- Cloakroom with wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- Bedroom with zip and link singles / super king bed, bedside tables and lamps, easy chair, occasional table and lamp, a flat screen TV and CD Player. French doors lead to a small balcony with cafe style table and two chairs.
- Shower room with shower.
- Sitting room with sofa, occasional bed (with trundle below), tables and lamps, chest of drawers, writing desk and chair, two arm chairs and a large selection of books. TV, DVD and CD Player, and Tea & Coffe making facilities. Wonderful views over the surrounding countryside.
- Large ensuite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- A steep staircase leads to the second floor. Headroom is limited as you enter - this room is not suitable for those with mobility problems. Known as the 'quiet room' there is a desk with typewriter, easel and book stand, and seating, Small TV, space and ambience for yoga or relaxation and Tea & coffee making facilities.
- The garden is to the front of the property, fenced and gated with a small lawn surrounded by flower beds. Large grasses and trees allow guests privacy whilst sitting at the outside table.
- Central heating throughout.
- Bed linen and towels are included but please bring your own beach towels and bedding for the cot, if required. Both synthetic and feather duvets and pillows are available. Please let owners know if you have allergies.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in the property.
- Off street parking for one vehicle.
- Wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films.
- A welcome basket of tea, coffee, milk, bread, jam, eggs and wine.
- Washing machine/dryer and iron with ironing board provided.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£591|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£510|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£591|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£510|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£660|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£510|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£540|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£510|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£590|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£540|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£660|
|1 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||£590|
|15 Jun 18 - 22 Jun 18||£620|
|22 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£590|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£620|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£660|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£620|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£590|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£540|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£590|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£510|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£660|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Snape proved ideal. For eating out two pubs locally and Snape Maltings nearby. Our hostess provided an excellent welcome pack of milk, bread, eggs, cereal, fruit, marmalade, butter, orange juice and wine. Aldeburgh a short drive away for other dining opportunities including excellent fish and chips.Dr Chris Brentnall - 20th July 2017
Had a lovely stay, fantastic place while working at at the Maltings with Opera North.Mr Speight - 28th June 2017
What a great place to stay. It's like being at home. Everything you could need and more. ÂA previous customer - 22nd April 2016
Albion House Studio was such a treat, even more beautiful than the photographs. Thank you, Jemma, for providing breakfast food, etc.Â We really appreciated your thoughtfulness. Thank you for making us feel so welcome.Kate, Tom and Elizabeth - and dog - 13th April 2016
Albion House Studio was such a treat, even more beautiful than the photographs. Thank you, Jemma, for providing breakfast food, etc.Â We really appreciated your thoughtfulness. Thank you for making us feel so welcome.Kate, Tom and Elizabeth - and dog - 12th April 2016
Immaculate throughout with such lovely objects everywhere. ÂA previous customer - 11th June 2015
Welcoming and absolutely spotless.A previous customer - 18th April 2014