This cottage has recently undergone major refurbishment, with a new kitchen, bathroom, and soft furnishings added, having been completely re-decorated. A traditional Suffolk cottage ideal for walkers, birdwatchers, music lovers and families.
ALDEBURGH 6 miles, ORFORD 7.5 miles, SOUTHWOLD 18 miles, DUNWICH 17 miles
About the Property: Possibly not the best name for this delightful Suffolk cottage - it is actually very spacious! Box Cottage was probably built in the late 18th or early 19th century and is prettily beamed with a brick fireplace downstairs, yet the bright, fresh decor creates a modern and relaxed beach style. The two wicker arm chairs and cosy sofa are perfect for relaxing in front of the log burner. Oak floors and clean white walls create a feeling of spaciousness and reminds one of its proximity to the water and the sea.
This spaciousness can also be seen in the sun-filled kitchen diner. Enjoy the modern, professional kitchen with plenty of work-top space and then settle down together at the window-lit dining table for supper. Upstairs there are two well proportioned bedrooms, one with a superking double bed, the other with twin beds as well as a light, bright bathroom.
Grounds: A pretty cottage garden to the front looks out towards Snape Maltings Concert Hall and the river Alde. At the rear is an enclosed garden with shrubs, cottage plants and a gravelled patio area with table and chairs. A gate leads from the rear garden to the parking area beyond.
Parking: Off road parking for two cars on a private drive to the rear of the cottage.
Sleeps: 4 in one super-king double and a twin bedded room.
Setting: In the heart of the village of Snape there is a village shop and 3 pubs, and at Snape Maltings you will find a small complex of shops, restaurants and galleries. There are boat trips down the river towards Aldeburgh.
This property is ideal for those who wish to enjoy Aldeburgh Music's year round programme of concerts, recitals and shows at Snape Maltings Concert Hall, just a couple of minutes walk away. The river is just across the road - a great place for birdwatchers and walkers who can take the old sailor's path to Aldeburgh (5 miles); or wander across the heaths or through the woods where you can also enjoy off road biking.
Aldeburgh, with its popular beach, can be reached by car in about 10 minutes.
Eating and Drinking: With three pubs in the village, all of which offer food from straightforward fish and chips to gourmet meals, you can enjoy a meal out without getting into the car. There is also a great deli, tea room and restaurant at Snape Maltings and you can buy groceries and newspapers at the village stores.
Further afield, Aldeburgh has some great restaurants. The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular, and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. There are several good farm shops nearby, Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just before you get to the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market, Marlesford.
The historic fishing town of Orford Ness is situated right on the rivers Alde and Ore, and well worth a visit whilst exploring the Suffolk Heritage Coast. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at Visit Snape.
Children: Children will enjoy the open spaces, the river and the spacious grounds which surround Snape Maltings. With Aldeburgh and Thorpeness just a 10 minute drive away there will always be lots for them to do.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 5.5 miles from the coast
- Front door to lobby with door to the sitting room. The beamed sitting room has one sofa, two wicker arm chairs, coffee tables and lamps, a log burning stove, flat screen TV with DVD together with Freeview via the Freesat box, shelving with books, CD player and wifi. Oak floor and seagrass mat, creating a fresh, beachy feel. There is an understair cupboard with coat hooks and plenty of space for shoes etc, a door to a rear lobby which leads to the back door and door to
- Open plan kitchen dining room - a large, bright area with dining table and four chairs. The kitchen has been completely refurbished and has fitted cupboards throughout with an electric oven and ceramic hob, microwave, kettle, washing machine, dishwasher, toaster and cafetiere, fridge with freezer compartment
- The stairs lead directly from the sitting room to the first floor; the stairs are straight and there is a hand rail to one side, open stud work to the other.
- Rear door lobby with a door to the sitting room and to the cloak room with handbasin and w.c.
- Bedroom 1 - Superking double bed with bedside cabinets and lamps, arm chair, wardrobe with hanging space, drawers and shelving, and long mirror
- Bedroom 2 - A twin bedded room with two full sized single beds (with storage drawers underneath), bedside lamps, shelving and a fitted cupboard with hanging space and shelving
- Bathroom - Bath with grab rail and overhead electric shower, washbasin and w.c., heated towel rail and additional towel rail
- There is a gated cottage garden to the front of Box Cottage
- The back door leads to a courtyard garden with garden shed - storage for bikes, walking boots etc and garden bench. A path leads past flower beds to a gravelled patio with table and chairs. There is a further gate to the parking area. The best place to get a mobile signal is at the end of the back garden.
- A private drive at the back of the cottage includes a parking space for visitors to Box Cottage
- Heating by electric storage heaters and multi fuel stove
- Bed linen and towels provided. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it. There is also an iron and ironing board and hoover.
- Parking for 2 cars in private drive.
- One well behaved dog welcome
- In consideration of other visitors, holidaymakers are asked not to smoke in the cottage
- An unlimited wifi service is provided
- The Plough & Sail - 01728 688413. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|2nd June 2017 - 21st July 2017||£633.00|
|21st July 2017 - 1st September 2017||£783.00|
|1st September 2017 - 29th September 2017||£633.00|
|29th September 2017 - 20th October 2017||£558.00|
|20th October 2017 - 27th October 2017||£633.00|
|27th October 2017 - 22nd December 2017||£489.00|
|22nd December 2017 - 6th January 2018||£822.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
Comfortable cottage in a good location.Chris C, Birmingham - 13th August 2016
Wonderful place and would definitely go back!Ruth S, London - 16th July 2015
Just to say how much we enjoyed our week at Box Cottage in Snape. The cottage was really lovely and so cosy and comfortable. We didn't want to leave and hope to return before too long.Vivian C. - 11th May 2015