Looking to re-charge your batteries? Kakapo Lodge is the cottage for you! Situated on the outskirts of Snape and surrounded by fields, the Lodge truly is in the heart of the countryside. Wake up to hear the birds singing and enjoy a morning coffee on the veranda, overlooking the scenery. This open-plan, modern, yet homely, retreat for two is perfect year round - a must for birdwatchers and those attending the Aldeburgh Festival at the nearby Snape Maltings.
ALDEBURGH 6 miles, ORFORD 7.5 miles, SOUTHWOLD 18 miles, DUNWICH 17 miles WOODBRIDGE 11 miles
About the Property: Kakapo Lodge (taking its name from a New Zealand, flightless parrot) is a recently converted outbuilding designed to create a light, modern and homely open-plan living space for couples or friends. With views over the surrounding fields, you really do feel tucked away here. Perfect for holidaymakers year round, the living area comprises of a cosy sitting room with log burning stove as well as a stylish fully fitted kitchen and dining area. The Bedroom leads off from the living area, complete with zip and link bed, making it perfect for couples or friends. With all accommodation on the ground floor, this is the ideal place for those who may find stairs difficult.
Also available is Tui Cottage, Snape. Kakapo Lodge is the larger of the two properties. For two couples, Kakapo Lodge and Tui Cottage can be rented together to sleep 4. Please click here.
Parking: Off road parking with space for one car with a gate and path to the garden of Kakapo Lodge.
Sleeps: 2 in 1 king or twin beds. Please specify at time of booking. The owners have a very friendly, but elderly labrador called Barney on site.
Setting: Situated just under a two minute drive from Snape you are just a short distance from the village shop, three fine pubs and of course, the famous Snape Maltings Concert Hall. In fact, keen walkers will enjoy the footpath from outside Kakapo Lodge that leads right down to the village - perfect for those who wish to have a break from driving.
This property is ideal for: Those who enjoy walking, cycling, music and art, fine dining or just relaxing. Snape Maltings Concert Hall has an all year round program of music and dance in every genre. This is also a great place to start a walk, either your own itinerary or one of the guided tours from theSnape Maltingsto explore the wildlife and historic landscape of the Alde valley. There are also boat trips down the river Alde to Iken church, an area naturally rich in wildlife and a haven for wildfowl.
Suffolk is not completely flat, as anyone who has cycled here will confirm, but the quiet country lanes and pathways provide a picturesque ride with some great pubs and tearooms to punctuate your journey.
Snape, Woodbridge and particularly Aldeburgh are rich in art galleries for viewing, collecting or inspiration and you will find a great art shop in Woodbridge that is an Aladdin's cave of art materials for creating your own landscape masterpiece.
Eating and Drinking: With three local pubs, all of which offer food from fish and chips to gourmet cuisine at The Plough & Sail, you can dine out without having to travel far. Just a 10 minute drive away, Aldeburgh too has some great restaurants; The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. The historic fishing town of Orford is situated on the rivers Alde and Ore and well worth a visit for lunch, supper or just to explore. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day. The Crown & Castle, Orford, co-owned by Ruth Watson of TV's The Hotel Inspector fame, offers a wonderful menu, fine wine and enjoys great reviews.
Self Catering: There are several good farm shops nearby; Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just before you get to the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market, Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings, and you can buy groceries and newspapers at the village stores.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at Visit Snape.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 1.4 miles
- Nearest pub 1.4 miles
- 5 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the Ground Floor
- Entrance to the cottage is via the sliding French doors which open out into the large and light open plan living area.
- Seating area with log burning stove (logs provided), sofa and footstool, side chest, flatscreen TV showing Freesat, side cabinet and floor lamp. Views of the fields beyond.
- Kitchen area with fully fitted cupboards, 4 ring electric hob and oven, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, cafetiere, kettle, toaster, iron & ironing board and adequate storage space. Views of the fields beyond.
- Dining Area with floor lamp, wooden table, two chairs and bench seat seating a total of four.
- A door leads to the Bedroom
- Bedroom with Twin Beds which can be zipped to make a King if requested at the time of booking. Chest of drawers, mirror, side cabinets, lamps, french hooks. A door leads to the En suite.
- En suite bathroom with wc, hand basin, heated town rail, shower cubicle (small step up), wall mounted bathroom cupboard.
- Fully fenced garden with decked area with table and chairs for four. Grassed area perfect for dogs to run around on.
- Kakapo Cottage also has a covered outside porch with a bench, perfect for summer evenings spent watching the sunset over the surrounding fields.
- Off road parking for one car. Automatic lights switch on and light a path leading to the cottage.
- Kakapo Lodge is on the same site as a working family home, however, access and parking is totally separate, private and detached.
- Logs are provided for the log burning stove.
- Bed linen and towels are included but please bring your own beach towels, dog towels and bedding for the cot, if required.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in the property.
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£492|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£432|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£492|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£432|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£564|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£445|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£485|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£445|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£505|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£485|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£580|
|1 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||£505|
|15 Jun 18 - 22 Jun 18||£550|
|22 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£505|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£550|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£580|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£550|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£505|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£485|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£505|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£445|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£580|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Very well designed property and interior decoration plus a peaceful and private location.A previous customer - 23rd July 2016
Very well designed property and interior decoration plus a peaceful and private location.A previous customer - 22nd July 2016
We have enjoyed our stay. The Lodge had everything we needed. The peace and quiet has been great and to see the barn owl on three occasions has been an added bonus. Thanks for being so helpful.A previous customer - 12th June 2016
We have enjoyed our stay. The Lodge had everything we needed. The peace and quiet has been great and to see the barn owl on three occasions has been an added bonus. Thanks for being so helpful.A previous customer - 11th June 2016
What a wonderful place this is and thank you for such a lovely welcome. We are going to miss you, especially Barney and the hens. We will certainly be back.Mr and Mrs Buckle - 5th June 2016
What a wonderful place this is and thank you for such a lovely welcome. We are going to miss you, especially Barney and the hens. We will certainly be back.Mr and Mrs Buckle - 4th June 2016
We have thoroughly enjoyed our week's stay in your beautiful lodge, in such an amazing setting. Many thanks to you both for making this such a relaxing break with the hospitality you have provided in every detail. We would love to return again.Mrs and MrsÂ Howard, Buckinghamshire - 29th May 2016
We have thoroughly enjoyed our week's stay in your beautiful lodge, in such an amazing setting. Many thanks to you both for making this such a relaxing break with the hospitality you have provided in every detail. We would love to return again.Mrs and MrsÂ Howard, Buckinghamshire - 28th May 2016