DescriptionThe Writer's Studio is situated in Snape, next door to the Old Mill where Benjamin Britten lived for eleven years. Just a stroll from Snape Maltings Concert Hall, the studio is open-plan and stylish yet cosy with stunning views over the private garden and the open fields that inspired Britten while he was composing 'Peter Grimes'.
ALDEBURGH 6 miles, ORFORD 7.5 miles, SOUTHWOLD 18 miles, DUNWICH 17 miles WOODBRIDGE 11 miles
About the Property: Recently converted from a stable and cartlodge, The Writer's Studio has been architecturally designed to create a stylish, open-plan living space. Featuring a contemporary kitchen, breakfast bar table and a cosy sitting area with Scandinavian style wood burning stove, the property enjoys fabulous, uninterrupted views over farmland from feature floor-to-ceiling windows. One large double bedroom with walk-in wardrobe enjoys amazing views over the garden and farmland. The studio has a beautiful seasoned oak floor throughout with underfloor heating.
Parking: Off road parking for one car on a private drive.
Sleeps 2 in one double bedroom, which is also large enough to accommodate a travel cot. Bigger parties may wish to consider Albion House Studio just next door, sleeping 4.
Setting: Situated on the high ground in Snape, you are within walking distance of the village shop and three fine pubs. Take in the views over the Alde Estuary and Snape Maltings, a small complex of shops, restaurants and galleries, as well as the renowned Snape Maltings Concert Hall.
This property is ideal for: The Writer's Studio is a perfect base for those who enjoy walking, cycling, music and art, fine dining or just relaxing. Snape Maltings Concert Hall has an all year round program of music and dance in every genre. This is also a great place to start a walk; join one of the guided tours from the Snape Maltings and explore the wildlife and historic landscape of the Alde valley. There are also boat trips down the river Alde to Iken church, an area naturally rich in wildlife and a haven for wildfowl.
Suffolk is not completely flat, as anyone who has cycled here will confirm, but the quiet country lanes and pathways provide a picturesque ride with some great pubs and tearooms to punctuate your journey.
Snape, Woodbridge and particularly Aldeburgh are rich in art galleries for viewing, collecting or inspiration, and you will find a great art shop in Woodbridge that is an Aladdin's cave of art materials for creating your own landscape masterpiece. The Writer's Studio has all you need to relax in complete 'home from home' comfort with two book cases full of literature, DVDs and CDs, as well as an inviting writer's desk.
Eating and Drinking: With three local pubs, all of which offer food from fish and chips to gourmet cuisine, you can dine out without getting into the car. Further afield, Aldeburgh has some great restaurants; The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. The historic fishing town of Orford is situated on the rivers Alde and Ore, well worth a visit for lunch, supper or just to explore. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering, freshly smoked fish every day. The Crown & Castle, Orford, co-owned by Ruth Watson of TV's The Hotel Inspector fame, offers a wonderful menu, fine wine and enjoys great reviews.
Self Catering: There are several good farm shops nearby; Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just before you get to the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market, Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings and you can buy groceries and newspapers at the village stores.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at Visit Snape.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 5.4 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
Accommodation is all on the ground floor
- Front door to open plan living area with modern Howden kitchen units and integrated dishwasher, washing machine, fridge with freezer compartment. Electric oven with ceramic hob and extractor, microwave oven, kettle and toaster. The kitchen incorporates a dining bar with stools and a drop leaf table is provided for more formal dining. Beautiful oak flooring throughout the living space and bedroom.
- Sitting area with a two seater sofa and foot stool, writing desk and chair, flat screen TV, reading lamps, two small book cases and woodburning stove. West facing folding french doors to a private garden with long distance rural views.
- A door leads through to the bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside cabinets, TV, wall mounted reading lamps and walk-in wardrobe with hanging space and shelving. West facing window with views over farmland.
- A stylish shower room with large walk in shower, large porcelain tile finish, Duravit washbasin unit, WC, large mirror, recessed spot lighting and heated towel rail.
- The gravel drive provides parking for one vehicle. A gate and fenced pathway lead to the front door of Writer's Studio. There is a private, west facing garden, to the rear of the property with a patio, gas barbecue (gas provided), table and chairs. The lawned garden abuts farmland, separated by a low fence and newly planted hedge.
- There is under floor heating throughout the studio and a wood burning stove in the main sitting area, with a starter pack of logs supplied.
- Bed linen and towels are included but please bring your own beach towels and bedding for the cot, if required.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke in the property.
- Private parking for one vehicle.
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- A welcome pack of tea, coffee, milk, bread and jam.
- The Plough & Sail Snape - tel. 01728 688413. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
A SECOND fabulous stay in this gorgeous cottage. What could be more perfect for our honeymoon.Deb & Vince - 5th January 2018
An excellent holiday cottage for two people and a dog. We have visited this cottage twice now and have on both occasions had a fantastic time.Mrs Sharon Tomlin - 3rd January 2018
Delightful, clean, well - equipped and tranquil studio cottage. Chris & Wendy - 4th December 2017
Thank you once again for a wonderful, restful stay. Julia & Richard - 1st December 2017
A delightful and peaceful property, with expansive views! Charming and welcoming owner, and a generous 'welcome pack'. Definitely worth another visit. Dr J Champ - 5th July 2017
One of the best cottages we've stayed in. Thank you for the welcome food and the doggie items. Rosa has reluctantly given up her doggie bed here!Alison, Matt and Rosa - 9th June 2017
Thank you for a wonderful stay, from the warm welcome, the beautiful garden and cosy interior ... Just perfect!Stewart, Lee -- and Rock-Hudson, the dog - 16th May 2017
Thank you for your warm and friendly greeting to this beautiful cottage. Thank you also for the 'welcome' treats -- a lovely touch for our first visit. We do not intend to wait too long for our next!Derek and Dawn and Zoe, the Westie - 12th June 2016
Thank you for your warm and friendly greeting to this beautiful cottage. Thank you also for the 'welcome' treats -- a lovely touch for our first visit. We do not intend to wait too long for our next!Derek and Dawn and Zoe, the Westie - 11th June 2016
A peaceful, comfortable studio providing all we could wish for. Lovely area with wonderful walks.Mr and Mrs Curran and Jilly the Spaniel, - 28th May 2016
A peaceful, comfortable studio providing all we could wish for. Lovely area with wonderful walks.Mr and Mrs Curran and Jilly the Spaniel, - 27th May 2016
Beautiful property, lovely views. Warm and cosy.Jane W, Peterborough - 2nd January 2016
The cottage was possibly the best holiday cottage we have ever had. Excellent in all respects including the lovely friendly owners!Michael O'N, Hampshire - 11th May 2015
The cottage was everything and more than we expected. The location could not have been better.Lien D, Netherlands - 25th September 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.