A unique and very attractive Suffolk self catering cottage for two. A unique and beautiful barn conversion, set in four acres of rural, moated, wildlife-rich gardens, close to Southwold and The Broads.
BECCLES 5.4 miles (8.7 km), SOUTHWOLD 10.1 miles (16.1 km), ALDEBURGH 25 miles (40.2 km), DUNWICH 10.6 miles (16.8 km), MINSMERE 15.9 miles (25.6 km)
This Suffolk Cottage Holiday Property: A remarkably attractive fusion of the old and natural with the new and extraordinary. Designed by artist and owner Tony Yates, this spacious barn conversion provides excellent self-catering accommodation with year round comfort and warmth for 2.
Grounds: Open the French doors and relax under the arbour, and enjoy magnificent, tranquil views over the lawns to the wildlife pond beyond. Wander in the 4 acres of moated gardens, designed as much for the superb wildlife of the area as for the pleasure of holidaymakers. You are more than welcome to explore the woodland area and duck ponds, or simply sit on one of the grassland benches or relax on a rug with a picnic and let the deer and birds come to you.
Parking: Parking for 2 cars on the private drive to the left of the property.
Sleeps: Two in one double bed.
Ideal for: This property is ideal for a couple who delight in rural peace; the gardens are home to a wide variety of wildlife and wildflowers, woodland plants and trees. If you are arriving by train, let the owners know and they will do their best to collect you from Brampton Station, on the branch line from Ipswich to Lowestoft. The Suffolk Coast is immensely varied and Black Barn is just a short drive from Southwold, with its world famous pier and sandy beach, fine restaurants and galleries. For a quieter day out, Covehithe is just a couple of miles north on the Suffolk Coast, with its magnificent church within a church, steep cliffs and quiet coastal walks.
Walberswick and Dunwich are different again and birdwatchers will enjoy a visit to RSPB Minsmere and the southern Broads at nearby Beccles and Bungay, where you can hire canoes and day boats on which to explore the Broads. Cyclists and walkers will delight in the plethora of byways and footpaths and there is easy access for cyclists with Brampton Station just a short walk or cycle from the cottage. Bikes can be hired at Darsham and Southwold if you do not want to bring your own.
Self catering, eating and drinking: There are supermarkets and some fantastic local producers at Halesworth, Beccles and Bungay. Fresh fish can be purchased direct from the fishermen at Southwold Harbour.
Eating and drinking out: This is an area for great pubs and fine local beers, as well as superb fish, from fish and chips in paper to dining at The Crown in Southwold and the Butley Orford Oysterage in Orford. The choice is endless, but holidaymakers and locals all enjoy The Star at Wenhaston, The Westleton Crown and St Peter's Brewery, South Elmham near Bungay.
Packing Tips: Bring walking clothes and boots. Black Barn is in an excellent location for fine walks (long and short) in the country, and bikes can be hired, but if you bring your own you can store them in the garden or in one of the owners' outhouses. Don't forget swimsuits and beach towels in summer; you can reach Southwold's sandy beach in about 15 - 20 minutes.
For more information on the area please look at our own online guides Visit North Suffolk and Visit Southwold.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Saturday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 6 miles
- Nearest pub 1.8 miles
- 10.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Living room with two sofas, chairs, tables, bookcases and books, lamps, digital TV with Freeview and integrated DVD, mini hi-fi and CD's, dining table and two chairs, french doors overlooking the beautiful garden
- Fully-fitted kitchen with electric cooker, microwave, fridge, freezer, toaster and kettle
- Bathroom with shower, wash hand basin, w.c.
- Bedroom with double bed, built-in wardrobe, chairs and table overlooking garden
- Ensuite cloakroom with wash hand basin, w.c., bidet
- Extensive garden with garden furniture
- Heating by storage heaters
- All heating, electricity, linen and towels provided
- Off-road parking to the left of the cottage for up to 2 cars
- Bike storage
- Use of washing machine
- In consideration of other visitors, holiday makers are asked to restrict smoking to outside the cottage
- The cottage is set in wildlife-rich gardens, so, sorry, no pets
- A limited broadband/wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|22 Jul 17 - 2 Sep 17||£555|
|2 Sep 17 - 30 Sep 17||£492|
|30 Sep 17 - 21 Oct 17||£447|
|21 Oct 17 - 28 Oct 17||£492|
|28 Oct 17 - 23 Dec 17||£414|
|23 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£555|
|23 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£555|
|6 Jan 18 - 10 Feb 18||£420|
|10 Feb 18 - 24 Feb 18||£460|
|24 Feb 18 - 24 Mar 18||£420|
|24 Mar 18 - 14 Apr 18||£500|
|14 Apr 18 - 26 May 18||£460|
|26 May 18 - 2 Jun 18||£565|
|2 Jun 18 - 16 Jun 18||£500|
|16 Jun 18 - 23 Jun 18||£520|
|23 Jun 18 - 14 Jul 18||£500|
|14 Jul 18 - 21 Jul 18||£520|
|21 Jul 18 - 8 Sep 18||£565|
|8 Sep 18 - 15 Sep 18||£520|
|15 Sep 18 - 22 Sep 18||£500|
|22 Sep 18 - 20 Oct 18||£460|
|20 Oct 18 - 3 Nov 18||£500|
|3 Nov 18 - 22 Dec 18||£420|
|22 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£565|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
Cottage of a fair standard and in good general area for Norfolk as well.Mr Chris Milham - 2nd August 2017