A delightful, spacious period cottage, dating from 1796. Situated on Aldeburgh High Street, the cottage is in a central location near the Town Steps and just a 2 minute walk from the beach.
SNAPE 5 miles (8km), ORFORD 12 miles (17km), WOODBRIDGE 20 miles (33 km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (39 km)
About the Property: A delightful, characterful period cottage, dating from 1796, on Aldeburgh High Street and with the benefit of dedicated parking within a walled courtyard.
This property is ideal for: Dart Cottage is a great coastal property for four
Parking: There is a large, secure paved area to the right hand side of the property, which will accommodate 2 cars; access is through double gates from the High Street.
Setting: Situated on Aldeburgh High Street, Dart Cottage is in a wonderfully central location in the town, opposite a bar (which is lively at times), a tea shop, and is a stone's throw from the beach.
Exploring: Aldeburgh is a favourite seaside escape for artists, musicians and families yearning for those special holiday breaks of yesteryear. The inspiration for much of Benjamin Britten's music and centre for his creation, The Aldeburgh Festival, the little town still plays host to concerts, film, theatre, literature and poetry festivals. In the heart of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Aldeburgh is an ideal location for bird watchers, walkers and of course sailors. The estuary, marshes and shingle banks are home to a wide variety of wildlife and there are sailing and yacht clubs at nearby Slaughden as well as the famous Aldeburgh and Thorpeness heathland golf courses which lie just a few minutes drive from Aldeburgh High Street.
A mile down the road is Thorpeness, a beautiful village with a fairytale atmosphere given its Peter Pan themed Meare and The House In The Clouds. Further along the coast is Sizewell which has a dog friendly beach all year round and is only a short drive from Leiston which is home to a cinema, leisure centre and museum. You can spend a day at RSPB Minsmere, a 20 minute drive from Aldeburgh, and be on the lookout of bitterns, otters and marsh harriers. Dunwich is also well worth a visit with its rich history, ruins and fantastic pub.
Eating and Drinking Out: There are plenty of lovely places to eat out, all within walking distance from Dart Cottage. Just opposite is the traditional Cragg Sisters Tearoom and a trendy bar with Thai restaurant. The Mill Inn is a favourite among many with its delicious, well-sized portions of reasonably priced food, not to mention its good selection of ales and lagers. Another delightful place for lunch or dinner is The Lighthouse - the food is so tasty that it has even been featured in the Good Food Guide 2010, definitely worth a visit! You could, of course, always choose to go for the well-loved classic of Fish & Chips; The Upper Deck Fish and Chip Diner is one of Aldeburgh's best loved restaurants. Other great restaurants include Sea Spice, The Regatta and Brasserie Bleu.
Self-Catering Eating: Along with the usual Co-op, Salter & King Butchers and the Aldeburgh Market Cafe are both great places to pick up a variety of tasty ingredients that may be on your shopping list. With plenty of awards up their sleeves Lawson's Delicatessen is another welcoming option. With a wide variety of food, all lovingly made in Lawson's kitchen, you really can't go wrong. They even offer a hamper of delicious food to be delivered to your cottage! For when you're in need of a sweet treat The Ice Creamery is the perfect place to visit. Not only do they serve personalised local ice cream, they also bake gorgeous cookies and brownies.
For more information about the area, including restaurants, pubs, cafes, shopping facilities, and things to do, please see our online guide Visit Aldeburgh.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Sitting room with 2 sofas, coffee table, TV showing Freesat with DVD, Music system with iPod dock, games and books. Ornamental fireplace with working coal effect gas fire
- Hallway through to the dining room with its original oak beams and flagstone floor. Dining table and chairs. Stable door to garden and parking area
- Kitchen with electric oven and hob, dishwasher, fridge/freezer and microwave. Stable door leading to Town Steps
- Utility room with boiler and drying space
- The stairs leading to the first floor are quite steep and twisting, but are carpeted, and have a handrail on the right going up
- Bedroom with twin wrought iron beds, bedside cabinets and lamps, chest of drawers, washbasin. Hanging space, additional chest of drawers and views to the sea
- Double bedroom with king size bed, fitted wardrobe, chest of drawers, views over Town Steps
- Bathroom with bath and overhead shower, heated towel rail, washing machine
- A stable door leads to a large paved area with a basic brick-built barbecue, and room to park 2 cars. Garden furniture (table, chairs and parasol) are kept in the utility room for the use of guests.
- Gas fired central heating
- Bed linen and towels provided - NOT beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- No smoking inside the property please
- Parking for 2 cars
- Ye Olde Cross Keys - tel. 01728 452637
- The White Hart - tel. 01728 453205
- The Mill Inn - tel. 01728 452563. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
- An unlimited wifi connection is provided.
- Other equipment provided includes: 2 travel cots, 2 high chairs, hairdryer, hoover, an iron and ironing board.
Dart Cottage was a lovely cosy, quirky cottage. Very close to all amenities, perfect location - recommend Mr Michael Alexander - 9th January 2018
A very beautiful cottage, we couldn't have asked for more, it made our stay a very happy one.Â We were so pleased with Dart Cottage, perfect size for our family of 4. Situated just a stone's throw from everything, we love Aldeburgh and will definitely return to Dart Cottage.The Grave Family - 18th April 2016
Very enjoyable stay, lovely cottage.Nic L, Essex - 2nd September 2015
Dart Cottage was absolutely fabulous. A great location and provided everything we needed for a self catering holiday. The owners should be commended for providing everything needed for a home from home experience.A previous customer - 15th July 2015
Excellent location in town centre. Beautiful cottage, very well furnished and equipped with the added bonus of its own off street parking.Jane M, Essex - 26th September 2014
Lovely cottage, everything provided and excellent location.Ann B, Northamptonshire - 11th August 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...