An elegant Victorian villa in the heart of Southwold, Amory House has been sympathetically restored to a good standard. Sleeping 10, it is the perfect base for a large family or group of friends seeking a seaside break. With bedrooms and bathrooms on both floors, if offers maximum flexibility. The property is situated in a perfect position to explore Southwold, next to the wonderful independent shops and only a short walk down the High Street to the famous pier beach.
DUNWICH 8.5 miles (13.5 km) , RSPB MINSMERE 11 miles (17.5 km), ALDEBURGH 19 miles (30.5 km)
Amory House is located on the High Street, right in the centre of the popular seaside town of Southwold. It's close to the many delightful shops, a number of excellent Adnams pubs serving beer fresh from the brewery in town, and all the fine restaurants Southwold has to offer. What's more, Amory House is just a 5-minute walk from the famous pier and sandy beach, with its iconic painted beach huts. The fantastic Southwold Electric Picture Palace is just a short stroll from the house.
The house has been tastefully refurbished to provide excellent accommodation for all the family, with stripped wooden floors in all reception rooms, original Victorian marble fire places, and Victorian tiles in the hall. There is both a comfortable drawing room and a separate sitting room with a log burning stove, TV, DVD and games for the children.
The house also boasts two lovely ground floor bedrooms, with an extra large shower room next door, making it suitable for those with some mobility problems. The spacious kitchen and breakfast room is the true heart of the house; this lovely bright space will draw you out of bed on a sunny morning for a lovely family breakfast around the large table. A paved terrace, with garden furniture and barbecue, makes for wonderful alfresco dining, and the large enclosed rear garden has been planted with shrub-beds and attractive mature trees - just the place for relaxing after a day by the seaside!
Southwold is Suffolk's best known seaside town. Untouched by the eyesores of modernity, it is a firm favourite with locals as well as travellers from afar - and it's not hard to see why. Home to the Adnams brewery, it boasts some of the best pubs (as well as the best beers) in the country. With a constant supply of fresh fish, its restaurants are excellent. Add to this the newly renovated pier, the blue-flag sandy beach and its brightly coloured beach huts, all overlooked by the iconic Southwold lighthouse, and you are in for a treat whatever time of the year you choose to visit.
One of the most desirable holiday destinations in the country, Southwold has become a popular destination for the famous. Often described in the press as 'Hampstead on Sea', it is a frequent backdrop for films and TV dramas - much of the award winning film Iris was shot here. Take a stroll out to the end of the pier and look back at the picture-perfect seafront and you will understand why. A popular haunt for artists and writers such as George Orwell, it is well known for its autumn literary festival and summer theatre.
To find out more about Southwold and the surrounding area, do take a look at our information site Visit Southwold.
- Sleeps 10
- 5 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- No pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- Entrance hall with tiled floor with coat hooks
- Drawing room with sofas and armchairs, coffee tables, corner cupboard and lamps
- Sitting room / TV room with sofas and chairs, wood burning stove, coffee tables and lamps, TV with DVD and games
- Twin bedroom with two full-size single beds, bedside tables and lamps, hanging space and chest of drawers
- Double bedroom with four-poster bed, bedside tables and lamps, hanging space and chest of drawers
- Wet room with walk in shower, basin and heated towel rail
- Large fitted farmhouse kitchen with original tiled floor, wooden worktops, hob, double oven, 2 door AGA, fridge freezer, dishwasher, plenty of cupboard space, dresser, large family dining table and chairs to seat 10. Off the kitchen is a traditional walk in larder with pine shelves.
- Rear hallway with fitted cupboard with hot water cylinder and washing machine and door leading to cloakroom with w.c. and butler basin
- Master bedroom with double bed, bedside tables and lamps and chest of drawers, door to en-suite bathroom
- En-suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, w.c., basin and heated towel rail
- Twin bedroom with two full-size single beds, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers and hanging space
- Twin bedroom with two 2'6" single beds, bedside table, lamp, chest of drawers and hanging space
- Family bathroom with bath and shower, basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Central heating, bedlinen and towels are included. Please bring own beach towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Large enclosed rear garden with lawn, shrub-beds and attractive mature trees. A full log shed.
- Extensive paved terrace with garden table and chairs, parasol, barbecue
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the house
- A Good Housekeeping deposit of £250 is required with the full or final payment. This deposit is refundable as long as Booking Conditions are met.
- Immortalise your special occasion with A photo album of your holiday
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door? See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
- The Crown, Southwold - tel. 01502 722275. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
Ideal for a large family gathering. Mr Geoff Taylor - 23rd July 2018
Spacious and flexible property. Three bathroom facilities ..very useful. Garden a great asset ...enclosed and not overlookedMs Caroline Amory - 22nd July 2018
Great Place as promised, 5* stay and good weather!A previous customer - 11th April 2016
What a lovely House! We had a fabulous time with incredible weather ... we will be back!A previous customer - 1st August 2014
A great family house in an ideal location in the centre of beautiful Southwold.Â The downstairs bedroom and bathroom were ideal for Granny and Granddad.Â We enjoyed...beach, fair, fete and crabbing at Walberswick and had a superb meal at The Crown.A previous customer - 11th July 2014
Great property in an excellent location Cliff Cork
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Cookery Workshop and Entertainment
Have fun and learn some new skills with a cookery workshop from local chef Emma Crowhurst
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Prosecco O'Clock Private Prosecco Party
Whether it is to celebrate an anniversary, special birthday or just ‘because’, there’s always an excuse for a sparkling celebration with a Private Prosecc...
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.