A spectacular self catering holiday property set in an outstanding location overlooking the Alde Estuary in Iken, Suffolk. This superb barn conversion has been designed to give every room magnificent far reaching views over the estuary to Snape, Iken and Aldeburgh. Set on a 750 acre wildlife rich arable and livestock farm with areas of freshwater lagoon, marshland and reedbeds - the area is a perfect habitat for an enormous variety of wildlife. Holidaymakers are welcome to enjoy the environment, or simply relax in the house or stroll round the gardens. Low Barn is ideal for a two night weekend stay with fantastic 2 night prices.
An extremely spacious architecturally designed barn conversion, the ground floor includes a large hall, cloakroom, well equipped utility room, generous kitchen / dining room and spacious sitting room. There is oak flooring and underfloor heating throughout. Doors from the hall, kitchen, dining room and sitting room open onto a wonderful courtyard garden.
An elegant central staircase leads to the landing where there are four large bedrooms and four bathrooms, two of which are en suite. Large picture windows look out over the meadows and marshland to the estuary beyond creating wonderful views from each of the bedrooms.
Outside: There is a large courtyard surrounded on 3-sides by open sided cart lodges where there is a large outside table and chairs for alfresco dining. The large courtyard has a raised potager, each bed surrounded by box hedging with seasonal planting to attract the butterflies as well as herbs, bulbs and ornamental trees.
To the front of the barn is a circular drive with plenty of parking for 2 to 3 cars.
Low Barn is on a working farm and holidaymakers are asked to keep away from farm machinery and farm buildings. There is a library at the far end of the barn, used occasionally by experts working on environmental research projects. Holidaymakers are welcome to walk along the public footpath to the river wall and the estuary and a map showing access and routes can be found in the welcome information.
Ideal for: Perfect for two families, Low Barn, Iken has a double bedroom, twin bedroom, family bathroom and en suite at either end of its central staircase. The dining room makes both a wonderful eating area and, having lots of space, works well for family games and puzzles.
The spacious sitting room has seating for at least 10 and there is even a reading area at the far end with a marvellous selection of wildlife books, novels and biographies. The courtyard makes the perfect playground for youngsters even in wet weather when they can play in the cart lodge close to the kitchen. There is also plenty of space for bike storage etc in the covered cart sheds. There is also a tennis court available (shared with the owners and times to be arranged on arrival).
Walk down the path, past fresh and saltwater lagoons, reedbeds, meadows and pasture on your way to the Alde Estuary, a stunning expanse of water with sandy beach and sailing boats.
Whilst the setting is charmingly isolated, this quiet spot, just off the main tourist routes, is just minutes from restaurants, pubs and of course Snape Maltings Concert Hall, with its year round programme of musical and arts events. A wonderful spot for cyclists of all grades, you can pedal down quiet country lanes or enjoy mountain biking in Rendlesham Forest, just a 15 minute cycle away, whilst artists and photographers will never be short of a landscape to capture.
Hire canoes at Iken Canoe Centre, take a boat trip from Snape Maltings or have a traditional day on the beach at Aldeburgh.
Eating and Drinking: Snape is just a few miles away (and a lovely walk from Iken Cliff along the boardwalk). With three good local pubs, all of which offer good local food from fish and chips at The Plough & Sail, to a full pub dining menu at The Crown and The Golden Key you can dine out every day.
Further afield Aldeburgh has some great restaurants; The Regatta and The Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. The historic fishing town of Orford is situated on the river Alde and Ore and well worth a visit for lunch, supper or just to explore. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smokehouse supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day. The Crown & Castle, Orford, co-owned by Ruth Watson of TV's The Hotel Inspector fame, offers a wonderful menu, fine wine and enjoys great reviews. The Froize Inn at Chillesford, perhaps your closest dining venue, offers wonderful home-cooked food in hearty portions. The recently opened Butley Oyster in Butley also offers a good selection of locally sourced ingredients, soon to be opening a small shop and brewery.
Self Catering: There are several good farm shops nearby, Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just off the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market, on the A12 at Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings where you can also buy Pump Street Bakery bread and cakes; the Snape village shop sells groceries and newspapers.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at our websites Visit Orford, Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Woodbridge.
- Sleeps 8
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 3.8 miles
- Nearest pub 3.8 miles
- 9.7 miles from the coast
The Ground Floor
- Large hall with boot rack, hanging hooks for outdoor coats etc, hall table and lamps
- Cloakroom with wash basin and w.c.
- Utility room with washing machine, tumble dryer, sink, iron and ironing board, built in fridge and separate freezer
- Kitchen is well equipped with kettle, dishwasher, large Rangemaster with gas hob and electric oven, double sink, toaster, a good supply of saucepans, pans, casseroles, china, cutlery etc. The kitchen is separated from the dining area by a large breakfast bar with two large stools. The dining area has a large dining table and 8 chairs, serving table.
- Sitting room with large L shaped sofa, seating 6, and 2 leather sofas, rug, coffee tables and lamps, flat screen TV and DVD player, side table with games, puzzles, DVDs and bookcase with collection of novels, local interest books including selection of natural history books, easy chair
The First Floor
- The first floor is reached from a straight staircase from the central hall.
- Bedroom 1 - a double bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, easy chair, wardrobe with hanging and shelving. There is an en suite bathroom with bath and hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail, shaver point.
- Bedroom 2 - a large twin bedded room with bedside chest and lamps, wardrobe, chest of drawers, easy chair
- Bedroom 3 - a double bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, easy chair, wardrobe with hanging and shelving. There is an en suite bathroom with bath and hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail, shaver point
- Bedroom 4 - a twin bedded room with bedside chest and lamps, chest of drawers, easy chair and hanging hooks
- Family bathroom 1 - Bath with hand held shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail, shaver point
- Family bathroom 2 - Large walk in shower, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail and shaver point.
- To the front of the barn is a gated circular drive with plenty of parking for around 3 cars.
- A large courtyard garden surrounded on 3 sides by open sided cart lodges, providing ample room for bike storage etc. A large outside table and chairs, raised potager, each flower bed surrounded by box hedging with seasonal planting to attract the butterflies, as well as herbs, bulbs and ornamental trees.
- Low Barn is on a 750 acre arable and livestock farm (mainly sheep). Holidaymakers are requested to keep to permitted paths and keep away from farm machinery and farm buildings as equipment can be dangerous.
- Tennis court - a path leads to the hard tennis court, please bring your own rackets, balls and tennis shoes. The court is fenced and surrounded by a grassed area and yew hedging. There is an open summer house for those who wish to watch rather than play.
- Oil central heating throughout.
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own towels for swimming.
We had a lovely stay and the cottage was so spacious and beautifully converted, with beautiful views. As two families holidaying together, it was great to have the two bedrooms and bathrooms at either end of the landing. Mrs Alexandra Burt - 29th August 2018
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Cookery Workshop and Entertainment
Have fun and learn some new skills with a cookery workshop from local chef Emma Crowhurst
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.