DescriptionRight on the beach at Thorpeness, a property with loads of history and an open plan living area with uninterrupted sea views. Within a couple of minutes walk of the centre of Thorpeness in one direction and Aldeburgh just a stroll in the other, you could not be better placed.
Walking through one of the three sets of French doors into the modern open plan L-shaped living area with its fitted kitchen, dining area and expansive sitting room, Fairhaven hides the secrets of its fascinating past. Yet step into the wood panelled hall and you step back in time. Here are the pegs where once the fishermen would have hung their oilskins before retiring to bed for a brief respite between fishing trips. The bedrooms too are wood panelled, and, while they have been modernised to provide comfortable accommodation in six bedrooms with new bathrooms, utility room etc., there remain reminders of their former role.
Thorpeness is today a unique and exclusive seaside holiday village; it started life as Thorpe, a fishing village. For hundreds of years the fishermen hauled their clinker built boats, laden with sardines, sprats, plaice and sole up the sand and shingle beach before depositing the catch in wooden huts where the fish were prepared for market. Fairhaven served a unique purpose in the village of Thorpeness, having been built to house the fishermen between their trips out to sea. Its' sheds stored sails and fishing gear. No wonder there is a magical feel about Fairhaven.
A garden gate leads to the house, the garden and beyond that the beach and the sea. A magical place. In the centre of the village is the Meare, a lake rich in wildlife, with rowing boats, canoes and punts for hire. The Meare Shop has a tea room and gift shop. Thorpeness has a country club with tennis courts, heathland golf course, attractive pub and an excellent village shop the Thorpeness Stores and new restaurant, The Thorpeness Brasserie & Emporium.
There are two lovely golf courses just a short drive away from Fairhaven:
Thorpeness Golf Club Set amongst the Suffolk coastal heathland, the golf course offers a tough challenge for all levels of player. Designed by James Braid in 1922, this Suffolk golf course winds through silver birch, pine trees, gorse and heather and was described by the Sunday Telegraph Golfing Guide as "Reminiscent of the inland glories of Sunningdale and Woodhall Spa".
Aldeburgh Golf Club The original Aldeburgh Golf Club course was designed in 1884 by John Thompson from Royal Wimbledon and Open champion Willie Fernie from Felixstowe and later modified by J.H. Taylor and Willie Park Junior. Taylor?s bunkers are visible today, recognisable by their sweeping banks which curve both vertically and horizontally. The new heathland course was officially opened in 1908 and has hardly changed since. There are some long holes to tempt the big hitter but plenty of holes that require careful attention. There is also a smaller nine-hole course.
Aldeburgh is just a short walk along a seaside footpath from Fairhaven and Thorpeness. Home to the Aldeburgh Festival and the Freud Summer Theatre, where there are several excellent restaurants, pubs and lovely shops, as well as a fascinating museum, boating lake, sailing and yacht club. RSPB Minsmere, Dunwich and Southwold are all within a short drive.
- Sleeps 11
- 6 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.5 mile
- Nearest pub 0.5 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation at Fairhaven is on the ground floor
- The front door opens into a lobby from which there are 3 steps up to the inner hall
- The inner hall and bedrooms leading from it are all part of the old fishermens rest, retaining the original wood panelling and hooks where the fishermen would leave their oilskins
- Family bathroom with bath, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Shower room with shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Bedroom 1 - There is a double bed with fitted shelves, wardrobe and chest of drawers and door leading to
- En suite bathroom with bath, shower, wash basin and w.c. and shelving
- Bedroom 2 - A bunk bedroom with full sized bunk beds, chest of drawers and bedside lamp, chair
- Bedroom 3 - With full sized bunk beds, wardrober, chest of drawers and sea views
- Bedroom 4 - Another bedroom with sea views, single bed, chest of drawers, wardrobe, mirror and rug
- Bedroom 5 - A twin bedded room with two single beds, fitted wardrobe and chest of drawers. Another Fairhaven bedroom with sea views
- Bedroom 6 - With double bed, fitted wardrobe and chest of drawers
- A door from the oak panelled hall takes you forward a century to the wonderful open plan living space from where there are panoramic views over the coast and the sea
- The large living area is L shaped allowing for discreet divisions of activity and space
- Kitchen - Fully fitted with double oven Rangemaster cooker, dishwasher, fridge / freezer, further freezer, microwave and ample supplies of china, cutlery, glasses and cooking utensils. The original open fire and surround have been retained
- Dining area includes a extendable dining table and twelve chairs. French doors open into the garden and the beach beyond
- Sitting area - an enormous space with sofas, coffee tables and lamps. There is a flat screen TV, DVD and CD player. Again there are panoramic views over the sea and eastwards down the coast towards Aldeburgh. French doors open into the garden.
- There is separate utility room with washing machine and boiler
- There is a large, fenced, beachside garden with gate directly onto the beach. There is also a decked area.
- The bike shed houses 4 loungers and patio chairs. There is also a charcoal barbecue.
- Bed linen, bath towels and hand towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels and tea towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Whilst all accommodation is on the ground floor, please be aware that there are 3 steps from the front porch to the inner hall
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the house
- Fairhaven is reached via a private track across the heathland. There is parking for at least 3 to 4 cars
- A wonderful location from which to enjoy cycling, bikes can be kept in one of the two original fishermens huts in the garden
- Heating is by storage heaters
- A Good Housekeeping deposit of £250 is required with the full or final payment. This deposit is refundable as long as Booking Conditions are met.
- Immortalise your special occasion with A photo album of your holiday
- To arrange at fridge fill prior to your arrival please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door. See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
- The Dolphin Inn - tel. 01728 454994. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
The location was amazing, and the communal spaces were great fun.Â Overall it was excellent.A previous customer - 5th January 2016
The main room looking out onto the sea is stunning and was the highlight of our stay.Martin J, London - 22nd June 2014
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Fairhaven, the house really does have a wonderful position and we had a marvellous week in Thorpeness.Mrs W., Worcestershire - 12th July 2013
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.