Right on the cliff top on the edge of the quirky little seaside village of Thorpeness, this delightful light and airy beach house has been superbly designed to take full advantage of its fantastic location with south westward views over the village and easterly views over the sea. Perfect for family holidays.
ALDEBURGH 1.5 miles (2km), SNAPE 7 miles (11km), SAXMUNDHAM 7 miles (11km), ORFORD 14 miles (22km), WOODBRIDGE 22 miles (35km), SOUTHWOLD 22 miles (35km)
About the Property: Have dinner or a BBQ on the decking on the west side of the house, or breakfast on the balcony overlooking the sea. Relax around the table on the terrace. Lie in bed and watch the waves crash into the beach. Relax in the sitting area and watch the sun set over the village. The views are outstanding.
With all the creature comforts of contemporary living, this is a holiday house to be enjoyed at any time of the year. Ideal for any age group, Shore Cote has comfortable bedrooms with the benefit of a twin bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor. The large garden is mainly laid to grass and enclosed, so ideal for children of any age, with a gate leading from the garden onto the beach. Please remember to keep the gates closed to deter the rabbits from entering the garden.
With a bright coastal style sitting area looking out over the sea, this room is perfect for a family board game or movie night - the separate reading nook is great for those who may want a little privacy. The dining room too is a great for family meals - imagine Christmas dinner with all the trimmings as you sit round the table together.
Shore Cote is a much loved family holiday home which looks forward to welcoming visitors to the Suffolk coast.
Shore Cote follows the suit of eclectic properties in Thorpeness and as such there are steep stairs and low ceilings and doorways.
Sleeps: 10 - but from January 2018 the occupancy will reduce to 8.
This Property is ideal for: The perfect family holiday home. On the edge of the beach with a large garden, bathroom accessible from the beach as well as from the main house. With loads of garden games and beach toys in the outside cupboard the children will be happy from dawn to dusk.
Shore Cote is situated on a private road, so great for walkers and cyclists and there is little to no traffic noise to disturb the sounds of the sea. With access to the beach from the garden, exploring teenagers will love a kickabout on the sand or a paddle in the sea. Adults too will enjoy long evenings on the verandah with a glass of wine or two. You can enjoy all of this whilst only being a short walk from the centre of Thorpeness, the country club and the golf course.
Setting: The delightful coastal village of Thorpeness, a mock Tudor 'model' village, was the vision and creation of Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie, a Scottish barrister, in the early 1900s. Today the village has changed little from Ogilvie's design with its ornate architecture, successful country club, 18 hole golf course, The Dolphin Inn and the magical Meare. All these, and the beautiful beach, are only a short walk from Shore Cote.
Thorpeness is truly unique; a coastal fishing village for many centuries and now a peaceful and highly sought after holiday village, within walking distance of the ever popular Aldeburgh.
Exploring: Families will enjoy a short stroll to the beach, or rowing on the Meare; 64 acres of safe shallow water with many little islands to navigate, all with a Peter Pan theme.
For keen walkers, there are some beautiful heathland and seaside pathways, with the opportunity for birdwatching at Westwood Marshes (RSPB) all a short walk away from the house. A few miles up the coast is the famous RSPB Minsmere, Dunwich.
Neighbouring Aldeburgh is home to the Music Festival, Food Festival, Poetry Festival, Carnival, rich in art galleries and with several excellent restaurants. The high street is lined with places to stop for coffee, lunch, tea and supper and has many independent stores to suit all tastes and ages - from book shops to boutiques.
Thorpeness Golf Club is just a 5-minute walk from Shore Cote. Set amongst the Suffolk coastal heathland, the golf course offers a tough challenge for all levels of player. Designed by James Braid in 1922, this Suffolk golf course winds through silver birch, pine trees, gorse and heather and was described by the Sunday Telegraph Golfing Guide as "Reminiscent of the inland glories of Sunningdale and Woodhall Spa".
Self Catering: Thorpeness has a traditional village shop providing the community and holidaymakers with locally sourced fresh food. The shop stocks all the essentials, plus a good selection of wine, local cheeses from the deli counter and local fudge from Olga.
In nearby Aldeburgh high street, you will find a butchers, bakers, greengrocers, Lawson's Delicatessen, a Co-op general store and, of course, there is no shortage of fish sheds dotted along the beach, selling freshly-caught seafood throughout the day. Farmers markets and farm shops are a feature of the Suffolk countryside and a great way to experience the taste of the region; The Food Hall and Farmers Market at Snape are worth a visit. Alternatively, most of the major supermarkets will deliver to this address and Tesco and Waitrose both have stores in Saxmundham, just 7 miles inland.
Eating and Drinking out: The Dolphin Inn is just across the road and is a lovely place to enjoy a good quality meal. The atmosphere is friendly, relaxing and picturesque garden make it a favourite with locals and holidaymakers.
The Kitchen @ Thorpeness is a fully licensed Bistro and restaurant, with great views of the Thorpeness Meare and just a stone's throw from the beach. Serving fresh food, whole-bean coffees and loose-leaf teas. Also a lovely place to enjoy an evening meal.
The Meare Shop Tearoom makes for a great place to have lunch, with a good selection of cakes and meals and wonderful frothy hot chocolates, served with marshmallows!
It is just a five-minute drive, or a very pleasant cycle ride, along the coast to Aldeburgh where you will find a great selection of pubs and restaurants to choose between. We would recommend walking there and getting a taxi back - the beach at dusk is beautiful. For family dining The White Lion Hotel has sea views and a traditional menu and Prezzo provides a relaxed, friendly atmosphere for families and couples. For slightly more formal dining try The Regatta or The Lighthouse. But no trip to Suffolk could be complete without trying the world-class Aldeburgh fish and chips. There are two great fish and chip shops in the high street... you may have to queue, but it will be well worth the wait.
For more information on the area and things to do please look at the Visit Aldeburgh website.
- Sleeps 10
- 5 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- There is a verandah with plastic table and four chairs, to the seaward and landward aspect of the property which also runs along the south side of Shore Cote.
- A large grassed garden area overlooking the beach. There is a BBQ along with a wooden outside table with 8 chairs, as well as a washing line. A small gate leads out towards the sea.
- On street parking for 3 cars - this is a private road so there is no through traffic.
- Night storage heaters and an electric stove in the sitting room are provided.
- Bedlinen is provided but please bring your own towels and beach towels.
- In consideration of other guests, please do not smoke inside the property.
- To arrange a fridge fill prior to your arrival please e-mail email@example.com
- A limited broadband / wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
- The Dolphin Inn - tel. 01728 454994. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
- A gate from the parking area leads to a set of stone steps, which in turn lead a short flight of stairs to the verandah.
- Door on verandah to dining room with table and chairs for 10, chest of drawers, side table with wifi router and telephone, pew style seat. A door leads to the hallway with doors to the Kitchen, Sitting Room, Shower Room and Family Bathroom. There is also space for hanging coats and leaving shoes here.
- Sitting room with panoramic views over the sea, 2 two seater sofas and 2 armchairs, coffee tables, lamps, small selection of DVD's, a wood burner lookalike electric stove, flatscreen TV, video and DVD. French doors lead out onto the verandah
- To the left of the Sitting Room is a small viewing area both with lovely sea views and views towards Thorpeness. A door leads to the Twin Bedroom.
- Twin Bedroom with full sized single beds, chest of drawers, french hooks and hangers, bedside table and lamp, sea views. Doors lead back to the Sitting Room and to the Family Bathroom.
- Family Bathroom with w.c., bath with overhead shower, wash hand basin, heated towel rail and wall mounted hooks for hanging bags and towels. A door leads out onto the hallway.
- A door from the hallway leads into the Kitchen area, which is divided into two sections. Preparation area with large cupboards housing crockery and cooking equipment, as well as a microwave, table and occasional chairs and fridge/freezer, Ironing Board & Iron. A perfect space for children's tea and snacks. This leads through to the Kitchen area with fridge, freezer, cooker and dishwasher along with a good supply of kitchen equipment including a Food Processor and there is also a Radio. A further door leads to a small utility area with washing machine.
- A door from the hallway leads to the Shower room with wash hand basin, w.c. and built in shower cubicle. There is shelving for storage as well as hooks for hanging towels. There is also a clothes airer. After a bracing swim use the outside door which gives you access straight in to this bathroom
- A set of stairs curve round to the first floor. Please note that these stairs are slightly steep, a hand rail has been provided.
- Single Bedroom with full sized single bed, chest of drawers, lamp, small drawer unit, occasional chair, french hooks with hangers. Please be aware of the low ceiling in this room.
- Double Bedroom with full sized king sized bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, easy chair, french hooks and hangers, views of the sea. Please note that there is a low ceiling when getting into the right hand side of the bed.
- Triple Bedroom with 3 full sized single beds, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers, side unit with mirror and lamp, occasional chair. Views towards the centre of Thorpeness. Please note that there are some low ceilings due to the sloping roof.
- Double Bedroom with king sized bed with wooden frame, side chest with mirror, bedside tables and lamps, french hooks with hangers. Views of the sea. Please note that there is a very low ceiling to get into the left hand side of the bed.
|Date Range||7 night price *||3 night price *|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£1,578||£1,052|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£2,319||£1,546|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£1,600||£1,200|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£1,720||£1,290|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£1,600||£1,200|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£1,980||£1,485|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£1,720||£1,290|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£2,390||£1,793|
|1 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||£1,980||£1,485|
|15 Jun 18 - 22 Jun 18||£2,290||£1,718|
|22 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£1,980||£1,485|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£2,290||£1,718|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£2,390||£1,793|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£2,290||£1,718|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£1,980||£1,485|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£1,720||£1,290|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£1,980||£1,485|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£1,600||£1,200|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£2,390||£1,793|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
A fantastic venue for a family get-together. Something for everyone in a very lovely atmosphere!The Anderson Wood family - 25th August 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.