Reduced Occupancy Offer - This property can also be booked for 4 people, using 2 bedrooms only. For full details, please see property ref: SFSPW4.
Set in a beautiful and remote corner of Suffolk on a 600 acre farm with pedigree Southdown sheep, a small herd of Irish Moiled cattle, hens and guinea fowl. This attractive barn conversion now provides spacious and extremely comfortable holiday accommodation for six, all on the ground floor.
HALESWORTH 6 miles (9.6km), BUNGAY 6 miles, SOUTHWOLD 14 miles (22.5km), MINSMERE 17 miles (27.3KM), Framlingham 17 miles
About the property: This centuries-old cottage started life as a cart shed and retains a wealth of original features. Beamed and with vaulted ceilings, the cottage has a traditional wood burning stove as well as central heating. All accommodation is on the ground floor and will suit any group, from families with babies and toddlers to those with some mobility restrictions (the second bathroom includes a wet room shower, assistance rails and shower chair). For international visitors, German is spoken on site.
A great opportunity for children to experience life on the farm - get involved with collecting freshly laid eggs from the chickens and bottle feeding calves and lambs!
Grounds: French windows lead onto a fenced garden, beyond which is the moat. The garden includes a lovely sun terrace as well as a good variety of attractive planting and small grassed area. A gate leads to a gravel track beyond which are the grazing meadows with sheep and cattle including Northern Dairy Shorthorn and Irish Moile cattle and a small flock of Devon Closewool sheep, both listed on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust (RBST) Watchlist. Children love Shepherds Watch, not only is the house family friendly but there is so much to see and do around and about Shepherds Watch. Visit the sheep and the hens, roam the fields and watch the cows, play on the toddler toys in the yard or jump on the trampoline! - see below for more details.
Minimum Hire: 3 nights except in high season when it is a week.
Parking: There is parking for at least 3 cars.
This property is ideal for any age group: There is a full sized table tennis table in the roofed "hovel" as well as a dart board and basketball net. There are a number of grass tracks around the farm and visitors are welcome to wander as they wish - PLEASE CLOSE GATES BEHIND YOU. Beyond the farm is a comprehensive network of footpaths meandering around The 'Saints' - a series of small villages all with their own fascinating church. This is a wonderful area to explore either on foot or by bicycle.
For the Children and the young at heart: Youngsters will love their holiday at Shepherd's Watch, whether they visit in the depths of winter or high summer. Lambing starts in early January and continues through to the middle of February. Calves are born in the spring and turned out onto the grazing meadows in late spring. Hens (of various exotic breeds) and guinea fowl roam the grounds and there are even rare breed turkeys. Swallows nest in the stables and the barns. There are kingfishers on the moat, hares in the fields and a pair of barn owls living in the woods beside the paddock. There is large fenced garden behind the farmhouse which all ages are welcome to enjoy with swing, swing boat and trampoline and a summer house.
Shepherds Watch owners are very happy for visitors to get involved with life on the farm - from bottle feeding the lambs to watching the sheering, or simply taking a private tour of the farm and learning more about the importance of maintaining some of the UK's finest rare breeds. But don't worry if farming is not your thing you can simply enjoy the countryside and the coast of Suffolk.
Self Catering: The kitchen is well equipped and the welcome cake delicious. Guests are welcome to collect their own fresh eggs from the nest boxes. Home produced beef, lamb and eggs can be purchased from the farm.
Nearby Halesworth is home to two good butchers, good greengrocers and a large Co-op supermarket as well as other small convenience stores.
Eating and drinking out: If you would rather eat out there is an excellent choice of pubs and restaurants in the area including Cleones Italian Restaurant, at The Angel, Halesworth, offering authentic Italian food, including delicious homemade pizzas straight from the oven, and generous portions of homemade pasta. All vegetables and meat are sourced locally and the pub also serves a good traditional menu. Booking is necessary to avoid disappointment.
Just twenty minutes away is Bungay where you will also be spoilt for choice. The Olive Tree, near Bungay, another great Italian restaurant or The Castle Inn, The Bahn Thai or traditional Fish and Chips from the Golden House in Earsham Street.
St Peters Brewery is worth a visit with brewery tours are available.
For further information on the things to do and places to visit in the area, please look at our own online guides Visit Southwold and Visit North Suffolk.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 5.9 miles
- Nearest pub 5.9 miles
- 14.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the ground floor
- Entrance to Shepherd's Watch is via two steps or a gentle ramp
- The hall has hooks for coats etc and plenty of space for storing walking boots, buckets and spades
- The living room is open plan. The L shaped kitchen is well equipped with electric oven and hob, microwave, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge with small freezer compartment (a large freezer is also available), filter coffee maker.
- The dining area has a stripped pine table and six chairs and open shelving and cupboards with amply cutlery and china
- The sitting room has two sofas and two armchairs, traditional log burning stove, coffee tables and lamps, flat screen TV showing a basic SKY package and DVD, side table with CD, stereo, maps, games and a large store of DVDs. French doors lead out to the garden
- Bedroom 1 has twin beds zipped together as a super king, bedside cabinets and lamps, chest of drawers, wardrobe, a large selection of books. Windows to two sides of the room make this a sunny room ( for twin beds, please request at time of booking)
- Beside bedroom 1 is the family bathroom with w.c. (with grab rails) and basin, large wetroom shower (with grab rails) and seat (suitable for those with some disabilities), heated towel rail
- Bedroom 2 - A double bedroom with en suite bathroom. King sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers with CD player and wardrobe
- The en suite bathroom has bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- Bedroom 3 - A twin bedded room with lamps, chest of drawers and wardrobe
- The garden is reached via french doors from the sitting room or via a fenced and walkway from the front of the cottage
- The garden includes a large terrace with table and chairs, parasol and barbecue. There are two wooden loungers with cushions. The garden is attractively planted and includes a grassed area. It is fully fenced and gated.
- Beyond the garden gate is a sheltered garden bench
- Paths beyond the gate lead to the fields, the vegetable garden and the chicken houses.
- A path from the front of the cottage leads through to the farm garden where there is a trampoline, swing and swing boat and summer house - all of which are available for guest use
- There is a covered area with lighting to the side of the cottage with table tennis table, darts and some toddler's toys
- Sheep and cattle graze in the paddocks so please do close all gates after you
- There is private parking in the yard beside the cottage for three or more cars
- Bed linen and towels, underfloor and central heating are provided
- A wooden cot and high chair are provided (please bring bedding for the cot). There is a hair dryer. All bedding is hypo-allergenic and synthetic.
- WiFi is available for your laptop but should not be relied on heavily for work usage and can be slow.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the cottage
- A limited broadband/wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
A peaceful retreat. Everything you need from a holiday cottage. Recommend Suffolk for a long or short break.Mrs Jackie Doyle - 26th August 2018
Really lovely property in a beautiful setting.Ms Veronica Hatvany - 11th July 2018
A truly fantastic cottage. Set on a farm where you can enjoy the antics of the chickens and sheep and perfectly placed to explore the county of Suffolk. The owners were lovely and made us feel very welcome. We have recommended Shepherds Watch to friends and family and hope to stay again ourselves in the future. . - 29th August 2017
We loved the fact that the area was not far from home and was so quiet and peaceful. The cottage had maps for us to use and lots of tourist information - greatly appreciated as was the use of the chest freezer. It would be helpful if you could give the postcode in the descriptions on the website as we had young children with us and would definitely not want to be right on a busy lane/road. As it was, Shepherd's Watch was ideal from this point of view. We all enjoyed our first visit to Suffolk and will, hopefully, return. Mrs Lesley worrell - 14th August 2017
Have really enjoyed our stay here in this beautiful cottage. Hope to stay here again in the future and would thoroughly recommend to our friends and family. - 9th August 2017
A great week, particularly enjoyed watching the hares playing in the fields. We feel very relaxed and refreshed. We hope to come back next year. - 24th June 2017
We had a wonderful 2 weeks in the cottage. We loved all the animals. Highly recommend a visit to Southwold, Halesworth and walking in Dunwich Heath. - 1st May 2017
Thank you so much for a lovely stay, we feel thoroughly rested. Wonderful cake and updates on the lambing! - 3rd January 2017
Comfortable and accessible cottage in a beautiful locationJulie J, West Yorkshire - 12th March 2016
Thank you so much for all of your lovely welcome gifts - we all appreciated the Easter Eggs! We have really enjoyed our stay and loved seeing all the animals, especially the lambs. Looking forward to our next time here, it has everything we could possibly want.A previous customer - 11th April 2015
Thanks for a great stay in your warm and lovely cottage! It's been such a relaxing break. Hope to come back very soonA previous customer - 11th January 2015
Thank you so much for a fantastic stay. What a beautiful cottage and so nice to arrive to cake and stocked store cupboard. So much to see and explore.A previous customer - 4th October 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price