Reduced Occupancy Offer - This listing is for 4 people, using 2 bedrooms only. For full use, please see ref: SFSPW where Shepherds Watch can be booked for 6 people.
Situated on a 600 acre farm, this the perfect countryside retreat for two couples or a small family. With endless walks and rare breed animals to meet should you wish, the attractive barn conversion has the benefit of ground floor facilities throughout.
HALESWORTH 6 miles (9.6km), BUNGAY 6 miles, SOUTHWOLD 14 miles (22.5km), MINSMERE 17 miles (27.3KM), Framlingham 17 miles
About the property: This charming cottage has been lovingly converted from a traditional cartshed. It still retains most of its original features, including exposed beams and vaulted ceilings. So cosy in winter with the traditional wood burning stove and central heating, and so delightful in Summer, simply open the French windows and you are surrounded by countryside. All accommodation is on the ground floor making this the perfect property both for families and those with some mobility restrictions (the second bathroom includes a wet room shower, assistance rails and shower chair). For international visitors, German is spoken on site.
A fantastic opportunity to experience life on a farm, children are welcome to collect their own freshly laid eggs and bottle feed calves and lambs!
Grounds: The French windows lead out onto a fenced garden, beyond which you will find a moat. The garden has a quaint sun-trap terrace, with attractive planting and a small grassed area. A gate leads to a track, leading to the grazing meadows of sheep and cattle. Rare breeds including Northern Dairy Shorthorn, Irish Moile Cattle and Devon Closewool sheep can all be seen here. listed on the Rare Breeds Survival Trust (RBST) watchlist.
Children will love Shepherds Watch - not only are they encouraged to meet and greet animals should they wish, they can also play on the play area with trampoline and swings.
Parking: There is parking for at least 3 cars.
This property is ideal for any age group: This is the perfect family friendly property. For teenagers, a full sized table tennis table, dart board and basketball net can all be used by guests. For the more adventurous, the farm has many private footpaths which visitors are welcome to use. Just a short distance from Shepherds Watch are a number of public footpaths, touring around The 'Saints', a collection of small Suffolk villages. A wonderful area to explore on foot or by bicycle.
Wildlife and Animals: Children (and Adults too) are welcome to come and meet and greet any animals should they wish. Lambing starts in early January and continues to the middle of February - let your children bottle feed some of the baby lambs! Calves are also born during the spring. Various exotic breeds of hens and guinea fowl roam the grounds; all of which can been seen from the comfort of the kitchen.
Keen wildlife lovers will love the swallows who nest in the stables. Sightings of kingfishers at the moat are frequent, as are hares and barn owls.
Shepherds Watch owners are very happy for visitors to get involved with life on the farm - from bottle feeding the lambs to watching the sheering, or simply taking a private tour of the farm and learning more about the importance of maintaining some of the UK's finest rare breeds. But don't worry if farming is not your thing you can simply enjoy the countryside and the coast of Suffolk.
Self Catering: The kitchen is well equipped and the welcome cake delicious. Guests are welcome to collect their own fresh eggs from the nest boxes. Home produced beef, lamb and eggs can be purchased from the farm.
Nearby Halesworth is home to two good butchers, good greengrocers and a large Co-op supermarket as well as other small convenience stores.
Eating and drinking out: If you would rather eat out there is an excellent choice of pubs and restaurants in the area including Cleones Italian Restaurant, at The Angel, Halesworth, offering authentic Italian food, including delicious homemade pizzas straight from the oven, and generous portions of homemade pasta. All vegetables and meat are sourced locally and the pub also serves a good traditional menu. Booking is necessary to avoid disappointment.
Just twenty minutes away is Bungay where you will also be spoilt for choice. The Olive Tree, near Bungay, another great Italian restaurant or The Castle Inn, The Bahn Thai or traditional Fish and Chips from the Golden House in Earsham Street.
St Peters Brewery is worth a visit with brewery tours are available.
For further information on the things to do and places to visit in the area, please look at our own online guides Visit Southwold and Visit North Suffolk.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 5.9 miles
- Nearest pub 5.9 miles
- 14.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the ground floor
- Entrance to Shepherd's Watch is via two steps or a gentle ramp
- The hall has hooks for coats etc and plenty of space for storing walking boots, buckets and spades
- The living room is open plan. The L shaped kitchen is well equipped with electric oven and hob, microwave, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, fridge with small freezer compartment (a large freezer is also available), filter coffee maker
- The dining area has a stripped pine table and six chairs and open shelving and cupboards with amply cutlery and china
- The sitting room has two sofas and two armchairs, traditional log burning stove, coffee tables and lamps, flat screen TV and DVD with basic SKY package, side table with CD, stereo, maps, games and a large store of DVDs. French doors lead out to the garden
- Bedroom 1 has twin beds zipped together as a super king, bedside cabinets and lamps, chest of drawers, wardrobe, a large selection of books. Windows to two sides of the room make this a sunny room ( for twin beds, please request at time of booking)
- Beside bedroom 1 is the family bathroom with w.c. (with grab rails) and basin, large wetroom shower (with grab rails) and seat (suitable for those with some disabilities), heated towel rail
- Bedroom 2 - A double bedroom with en suite bathroom. King sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers with CD player and wardrobe
- The en suite bathroom has bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- The garden is reached via french doors from the sitting room or via a fenced and walkway from the front of the cottage
- The garden includes a large terrace with table and chairs, parasol and barbecue. There are two wooden loungers with cushions. The garden is attractively planted and includes a grassed area. It is fully fenced and gated
- Beyond the garden gate is a sheltered garden bench
- Paths beyond the gate lead to the fields, the vegetable garden and the chicken houses
- A path from the front of the cottage leads through to the farm garden where there is a trampoline, swing and swing boat and summer house - all of which are available for guest use
- There is a covered area with lighting to the side of the cottage with table tennis table, darts and some toddler's toys
- Sheep and cattle graze in the paddocks so please do close all gates after you
- There is private parking in the yard beside the cottage for three or more cars
- Bed linen and towels, underfloor and central heating are provided
- A wooden cot and high chair are provided (please bring bedding for the cot). There is a hair dryer. All bedding is hypo-allergenic and synthetic.
- WiFi is available for your laptop but should not be relied on heavily for work usage and can be slow.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the cottage
- A limited broadband/wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
This is a lovely property decorated and furnished to a very high standard. The hosts are generous (free cake, wine and eggs - produced by the hens outside your window) and keen to ensure your stay is as good as it can be. The location puts you within range of some of the loveliest villages in Suffolk.Mr R Luetchford - 18th July 2017
We loved staying here - the countryside, the birds, the farm animals were all delightfulJonathan W, Sussex - 24th April 2016
Thank you so much for all of your lovely welcome gifts - we all appreciated the Easter Eggs! We have really enjoyed our stay and loved seeing all the animals, especially the lambs. Looking forward to our next time here, it has everything we could possibly want.A previous customer - 12th April 2015
Thanks for a great stay in your warm and lovely cottage! It's been such a relaxing break. Hope to come back very soonA previous customer - 12th January 2015
Thank you so much for a fantastic stay. What a beautiful cottage and so nice to arrive to cake and stocked store cupboard. So much to see and explore.A previous customer - 5th October 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...