DescriptionTucked away on a private road, Rookery Barn is centrally located in the small, yet popular market town of Eye. With two double bedrooms and a private, fenced terrace, Rookery Barn is just a few steps from both local shops and eateries. Perfect for couples and families who like to explore the delightful county of Suffolk by car, bike and on foot.
DISS 4 miles, BUNGAY and the NORFOLK BROADS 18 miles, NORWICH 23 miles, BURY ST EDMUNDS 24 miles, SOUTHWOLD 27 miles
Diss, just 10 minutes drive away, is perfect if you or your guests want to take the train. Diss is on the main line from London Liverpool St to Norwich - train services every 30 minutes.
About the Property: Nestled just minutes from the centre of the popular market town of Eye, Rookery Barn is the perfect base for exploring Suffolk. Situated on a private, shared drive and set back from the road you really do feel secluded once inside. Entering through the kitchen/diner, the cottage has a natural flow, leading out to the sitting room, small day room, bathroom and small, private terraced garden.
Rookery Barn has the benefit of two double bedrooms, each accessed via its own staircase - perfect for those who are easily disturbed during the night. Each bedroom has a light and modern feel, with large windows allowing plenty of natural light.
For tech lovers - multi-plug adaptor chargers are provided in both the bedrooms and the sitting room - ideal if you have forgotten to bring your own. There is also a surround-sound music system with iPod dock and USB port for those who don?t like the quiet! Gamers will also love the use of the Xbox console, as well as the Amazon Fire Stick.
Sleeps: 4 in 2 double bedrooms. There is an additional twin bedroom on the ground floor with sofa beds if required - please add this to the customer requests when booking.
This property is ideal for: Families, couples or friends looking for a base to explore the county of Suffolk. There are plenty of country lanes and fields to explore by bike, as well as numerous footpaths to be enjoyed. Take a camera and capture not only the fascinating streets of Eye, but the fields and countryside just a short drive away.
Minimum hire: Three nights; except at Christmas and Easter when it is a week. Friday changeover in high season.
About the Area: Eye is a very small market town. Dating back to Roman times it was once strategically important, thus the fascinating Eye Castle and splendid church; the town hall is Italianate and there are many fascinating old buildings throughout Eye. There is a good choice of shops, all of which are within a very easy walk of Rookery Barn.
There is plenty of fascinating architecture to be enjoyed, including Eye Castle and St Peter and St Paul Church - both of which have fascinating histories. Walking around the streets in the town you really do feel as if you are stepping back in time - there really is a slower pace of life in this part of the country.
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at Rookery Barn. Eye has a great selection of shops including two Co-op supermarkets, two butchers, a flower shop, a delicatessen, a bakery and a chocolate shop. There is an award-winning, weekly Country Market in the Town Hall (Wednesdays) where fresh produce and home-made cakes and preserves are available.
Eating out in Eye: There are around half a dozen local cafes and several eateries in Eye including three pubs, the nearest being the Queen's Head and there is a good fish and chip shop - we have yet to try them all, but we are working on it. We have however experienced Cocoa Mama which has a warm welcome, lovely hot chocolate and outstanding cakes; they run courses and give talks on chocolate making - yummy!
Slightly further out are The Oaksmere and The Brome Grange hotels - both offering an enjoyable eating experience.
For more information on the local area, please see our Visit North Suffolk website.
- Sleeps 4
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 30.4 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Front door opens onto the fully fitted kitchen with table and chairs for four, washer/dryer, microwave, dishwasher, oven with 4 ring gas hob, 2 slice toaster, kettle, wine rack, large fridge/freezer and coat hooks. A door leads to the sitting room. A wide, open, easy staircase with 12 steps leads to the Master Bedroom.
- Family Bathroom with wash hand basin, bath with overhead shower, w.c. and towel rail.
- Sitting Room with two 2 seater sofas, coffee table, floor lamp, multi-port charger, log burning stove, flatscreen TV showing Freeview, Amazon Fire Stick, Xbox console (please bring your own games), side cabinet and units. French doors lead out onto the terraced garden. Doors lead to the second sitting room and second double bedroom.
- Second sitting room with two fold down sofa beds, curtained wardrobe area with hanging hooks. French doors lead out onto the terraced garden.
- A wide, open, easy staircase with 12 steps leads to the Master Bedroom.
- Master Bedroom with full sized double bed, bedside cabinets with drawers, lamps, multi-port charger, dressing table with stool and mirror, small walk in wardrobe with hanging space. A door opens onto a small en-suite bathroom with w.c. and wash hand basin.
- A narrow and slightly steep staircase (no hand rail), leads to the second double bedroom with small chest of drawers and mirror, full sized double bed, bedside cabinets, clock, bedside lamps and hanging hooks.
- Small, fully fenced terrace garden, which wraps around the far end of the property, with metal bench, table and two chairs.
- Bed linen and towels are provided, please bring your own beach towels.
- Gas fired central heating is provided throughout.
- In consideration of the owners and other guests, please do not smoke in Rookery Barn.
- Off street parking space for one car. Please note, this is VERY NARROW and therefore unsuitable for large 4x4 vehicles. Holidaymakers are advised to reverse up the drive slowly and park in consideration of other drive users. Additional free parking can be found on the surrounding streets or in the local car park (also free), next to The Queens Head.
We spent 14 days in Eye, such a lovely little town with everything you need for daily life. Rookery Barn is a comfortable holiday cottage with lovely bedrooms and living room. Well equipped with dishwasher etc. Nice new bathroom. Mr Markus Geitebruegge - 23rd July 2018
Rookery Barn was perfect for our Christmas break - tucked away but central, and very quiet. It was also surprisingly spacious. The owner was kind enough to put up a fabulous Christmas tree, and also left some lovely treats for us. The booking process was straight forward, and we would happily book again. In fact we felt sad when we had to leave!ms Liz Dover - 31st December 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price