- £635 per week
- £91 per night
- 5 Guests
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Pet
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- 1 double bed
- 1 single bed
- 2 bathrooms
- Towels provided
- Open fire or woodburner
- Washing machine
- Family friendly
- Private parking
- Ground floor bath/shower room
DescriptionIn the heart of the tiny town of Eye, on the Suffolk Norfolk border, not far from the Norfolk, The Thatched House at Eye is a delightful postcard pretty and quite spacious detached thatched house with old oak doors, original beams, inglenook fireplaces and of course a wonderful thatched roof. Whilst the house itself is utterly traditional, the fixtures and fittings are utterly contemporary and visitors to The Thatched House can be sure a comfortable stay.
Diss 4 miles, Bungay and the Broads 18 miles, Norwich 23 miles, Bury St Edmunds 24 miles, Southwold 27 miles
Diss, just 10 minutes drive away, you or your guests might want to take the train. Diss is on the main line from London Liverpool St to Norwich - train services every 30 minutes.
This Suffolk Cottage Holiday Property:
A traditional old Suffolk house, The Thatched House in Eye, Suffolk, has all the hall marks of a Tudor town house. There are many wonderful oak beams, stunning fireplaces and a very old solid oak front door; all are in splendid condition. The house has been completely and very tastefully refurbished and works include a new fitted kitchen, a brand new ground floor shower room with w.c. and wash basin, spacious new family bathroom and a large and very comfortable sitting room, its central feature a large Inglenook fireplace with grate.
Upstairs there are three comfortable bedrooms; all decorated and furnished in keeping with the feel of the house; they are light and airy with vaulted ceilings and exposed beams. The upstairs family bathroom has been converted from a large bedroom and includes a very attractive roll top bath along with hand held shower, wash basin, heated towel rail and w.c.
There are some low beams so be prepared to duck in places if you are tall, but the ceiling heights are good.
Grounds and Surrounds:
The Thatched House has a lovely garden with lawns, flower and shrub beds and a delightful sun trap terrace for outside eating. Situated on the path of the walls of the Eye's 12th century castle the garden slopes up to the boundary line (Time Team might well be interested!). Used almost exclusively by residents and their visitors, the narrow lane on which The Thatched House is situated follows the line of the original fortifications for the castle. Just seconds from the main street this charming old lane is quiet and secluded.
Eye is a very small town. Dating back to Roman times it was once strategically important, thus the fascinating Eye Castle and splendid church; the town hall is Italianate and there are many fascinating old buildings throughout Eye. There is a good choice of shops, all of which are within a very easy walk of The Thatched House.
Sleeps: 5 in two double bedrooms and 1 single bedroom
This property is ideal for:
With two bathrooms The Thatched House would be great for one or two couples who want to make the most of the fantastic facilities of Eye, enjoy some walking, cycling or sight seeing or a couple with children (young or teenage). Despite this being an old property the staircase is new and not too challenging even after a day out and about.
Minimum hire: Three nights; except at Christmas and Easter when it is a week. Friday changeover in high season.
Please note smoking is not permitted. One well behaved dog is welcome and can have the run of the dining room and kitchen
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at The Thatched House. Eye has a great selection of shops including two Co-op supermarkets, two butchers, a flower shop, a delicatessen, a bakery and a chocolate shop. There is an award-winning, weekly Country Market in the Town Hall (Wednesdays) where fresh produce and home made cakes and preserves are available.
Eating out in Eye:
There are around half a dozen local cafes and several eateries in Eye including three pubs, the nearest being the Queen's Head and there is a good fish and chip shop - we have yet to try them all, but we are working on it. We have however experienced Cocoa Mama which has a warm welcome, lovely hot chocolate and outstanding cakes; they run courses and give talks on chocolate making - yummy!
For more information on the local area, please see our Visit North Suffolk website.
- Steps lead down from the parking area to the front door.
- The front door leads into the lobby with direct access to the dining room and kitchen and door to sitting room. Watch your head, there are one or two low beams. The comfortable sitting room is characterised by a lovely inglenook fireplace, with a tiled floor and rugs one can sit and relax in front of a blazing fire, playing backgammon, chess or draughts at the lovely games table. Comfortable sofas, arm chairs, coffee and side tables make this a really pleasant room at any time of year. There is also a flatscreen TV with DVD player. A door leads out into the garden
- The dining room cum kitchen is large and comfortable with a feature fireplace, stone flooring, a dining table and chairs for 6 and sideboard with storage for diner service etc. The kitchen has been completely refurbished and is fully fitted to include a butler sink, electric oven and hob, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, toaster and kettle.
- A door leads from the kitchen to the brand new shower room with large corner shower, wash basin, w.c. heated towel rail and mirror.
- An oak door leads from the lobby into the sitting room which includes a large inglenook fireplace with open fire (a basket of logs in provided), two large sofas, coffee tables and lamps, bookcases and easy chair with reading lamp. Stairs lead from the sitting room to the first floor.
- An easy staircase with handrail leads to the first floor
- Family bathroom - the family bathroom is quite spacious and includes a large roll top bath with hand held shower attachment, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 1: A double bedroom with king sized bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, chest of drawers and mirror, hanging hooks and small chair
- Bedroom 2: A double bedded room with double bed, bedside tables and lamps, large walk in hanging cupboard with space for storage of cases etc, chest of drawers, mirror
- Bedroom 3: A single bedroom with single bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and hanging hooks, easy chair.
- There is a drive with parking for one car. There is plenty of parking for additional cars in the car park at the end of the lane (a half minute walk)
- The garden which surrounds the house includes areas of lawn, shrub and flower beds and a large sun-trap private paved terrace directly outside the door with plenty of space for table and chairs.
- There is a large garage divided into two sections. Lockable the rear section contains a fridge freezer for guest use and there is plenty of space for bike storage, golf clubs etc. A great space for the dog to dry off after a long walk (there is an outside tap to the rear of the house if you wish to wash the dog off before going inside).
- Garden table and chairs provided with parasol. There is NO BBQ as the house is thatched.
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels and pets towels.
- Oil fired central heating and a starter basket of logs for the open fire are provided.
- Wifi provided. Please note internet speeds in Suffolk can be slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for downloading films or games etc.
- Private parking in the drive
- One well behaved dog is welcome at The Thatched House but please note pets should be kept in the kitchen / dining room.
- In consideration of other holidaymakers please do not smoke in the house