DescriptionA traditional Suffolk beamed detached house - the jury is out as to whether it is a Suffolk Long House or Hall House - set in a couple of acres of private garden in a charming countryside setting, perfect for walkers and cyclists alike. A house full of history, Woodhall Manor is both spacious and cosy - with three log burning stoves it has to be. Very much a country house, Woodhall Manor is just a couple of miles from Diss and within a very short drive of five wedding venues.
Diss 2 miles, Framlingham 19 miles, Beccles and the Broads 22 miles, Norwich 24 miles, Bury St Edmunds 22 miles, Southwold 30 miles
Trains - Diss is just a few minutes drive away; on the main line from Norwich to London, there are train services every 30 minutes.
This Suffolk Cottage Holiday Property:
A traditional old Suffolk house, Woodhall Manor is in a rural location on the edge of the tiny hamlet of Thrandeston. The property has all the hall marks of a traditional Suffolk Long House. Beamed throughout, taller guests will have to duck to get through some doorways. A stunning inglenook fireplace in the sitting room with log burning stove, a contemporary log burner in the ground floor bedroom and a Romesse pot belly stove, dating back to World War II, in the kitchen, you are unlikely to be cold. As well as a solid oak front door, floor boards throughout are the original broad boards once so common in traditional properties in Suffolk. The house has been tastefully refurbished and includes two new bathrooms.
Upstairs there are two double bedrooms, one with king sized bed, a small double and a bunk bedroom; all decorated and furnished in keeping with the feel of the house; they are light and airy with vaulted ceilings and exposed beams. The upstairs family bathroom is extremely spacious and includes from a large bedroom and includes a bath and large walk in shower, wash basin, and w.c.
The ground floor bedroom is perfect for guests who either don't want to cope with stairs or would like their own relaxing space (large comfortable sofa and wood burning stove).
Grounds and Surrounds:
Woodhall Manor has a large garden with drive for at least 4 cars. The garden is hedged on one side, fenced on another and separated from the fields on one side by a shallow hedged ditch. The garden includes large areas of lawn, shrub borders, flowering trees and an ancient order with some quite rare species of apple and pear and a mulberry.
There are several seating areas as well as a veranda at the back with table and chairs and charcoal barbecue, a delightful sun trap terrace for outside eating.
There is a deep pond in the neighbouring garden which could be accessed by a determined child or inquisitive dog - when out in the garden please do supervise small children at all times.
A perfect location for walkers, cyclists or anyone with an interest in history or wildlife Woodhall Manor is close to the Suffolk Norfolk border in an area rich in historic treasure and wildlife sanctuaries including Redgrave and Lopham Fen, a wild watery landscape of sedge, rush, heath and hundreds of pools created over many centuries by local people as they eked out a living, digging peat for fuel and cutting reed and sedge for thatching. With well over 270 plant species, including many national or regional rarities, the fen boasts a diversity of plant life to satisfy even the keenest of botanists. Thornham Walks is a delight, there are paths suitable for pushchairs and wheelchairs and lots of other delightful walks - dogs are welcome if kept on their lead.
Animal lovers of all ages will love a day out at Banham Zoo, just a 9 mile drive from the house whilst West Stow Saxon Village is a must for all ages.
Eye is a very small town. Dating back to Roman times it was once strategically important, thus the fascinating Eye Castle and splendid church; the town hall is Italianate and there are many fascinating old buildings throughout Eye. There is a good choice of shops, all of which are within a very easy walk of The Thatched House.
Sleeps: 9-10 in two bedrooms with king sized beds, two double bedded rooms (access to one of the doubles from one side only) and 1 bunk bedroom with full sized bunks.
This property is ideal for:
With accommodation for up to 10 and a ground floor bedroom and shower room Woodhall Manor would be ideal for a larger family, a group of friends or indeed wedding groups - it is close to five excellent wedding venues. For shopping Diss has a good selection of supermarkets and some really excellent local shops offering a wide choice of local foods. Many will want to make the most of the fantastic facilities of Eye, make a visit to the castle but allow time for a visit to Cocoa Mama, the chocolate is divine.
Minimum hire: Three nights; except at Christmas and Easter when it is a week. Friday changeover in high season.
Please note smoking is not permitted. One well behaved dog is welcome and can have the run of the utility room and kitchen
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at Woodhall Manor. You can walk from the house to Diss via Lows Lane in Palgrave (this brings you out in the middle of Diss avoiding the two narrow roads with no footpath).
A traditional market is held at Diss Market Place every Friday from 09:30 until 15:00 and the Diss Farmer's Market comes to town on the second Saturday of each month from 09:00 until 13:00. Diss has a choice of 3 supermarkets. Eye too has a great selection of shops including two Co-op supermarkets, two butchers, a flower shop, a delicatessen, a bakery and a chocolate shop. There is an award-winning, weekly Country Market in the Town Hall (Wednesdays) where fresh produce and home made cakes and preserves are available.
Diss has an excellent selection of eateries, from super tea shops to restaurants; there is even a vegetarian restaurant. There are around half a dozen local cafes and several eateries in Eye including three pubs, the nearest being the Queen's Head and there is a good fish and chip shop - we have yet to try them all, but we are working on it.
For more information on the local area, please see our Visit North Suffolk website.
- Sleeps 10
- 5 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 3.1 miles
- Nearest pub 3.1 miles
- 29.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The front door leads into a lobby with coat hooks and space for sticks and umbrellas
- The sitting room has oak flooring and rugs; the room is dominated by a large fireplace with log burning stove, flat screened TV, sofas and chairs are assembled around the fire creating a really cosy atmosphere and there is a coffee table and lamps, antique sofa table, chest and sideboards. The cupboard under the stairs contains a good selection of children's toys and games which holidaymakers are welcome to enjoy
- There is a large ground floor bedroom, perfect for friends or relatives who might want quiet time away from the rest of the party. There is a sofa and lamps, antique corner cupboard, an antique brass king sized double bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers, a small log burning stove and occasional tables.
- The farmhouse kitchen is divided into two distinct areas, and much of the heritage of the building is evident here. There is an old bread oven and a fascinating pot belly stove taken from a war time nissen hut, it gives off a fantastic heat and is a real feature of the room which also includes a circular dining table seating up to 10 people and shelving with books, a CD player and a selection of CDs, wine rack, The kitchen includes a butler sink, an electric range with 5 burner hob and 3 ovens, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, kettle, 4 slice toaster, lots of kitchen equipment and ample cupboard space for all your groceries.
- The utility room houses the boiler, a freezer, a washing machine with old fashioned clothes dryer above. There is a butler sink and storage for cleaning materials, iron and ironing board etc. A door leads out to the veranda where there is a table and chairs, barbecue.
- The ground floor bathroom includes a corner shower, wash basin and w.c.
- Straight stairs lead to the 1st floor (hand rail to one side)
- Bedroom 1 has a king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, two chests of drawers, wardrobe and rocking chair. There is a wooden cot (please bring bedding if using the cot)
- Bedroom 2. A bunk room with full sized bunk beds, bedside table and lamp for lower bunk, and wall light above the upper bunk, chest of drawers and hanging hooks.
- Bedroom 3 has a double bed, bedside tables and lamps, large chest of drawers and clothes hooks
- Bedroom 4 has a double bed, one side against the wall, bedside table and lamp and chest of drawers, clothes hooks
- There is a large family bathroom with large walk in shower, wash basin, bath, w.c. and storage units. There is an electric shaver point.
- The garden is well over an acre in size with lawn to the back and an ancient orchard - apple, pear and mulberry trees - to one side separated from the fields by a ditch on one side, a fence on the other. The neighbouring property has a deep natural pond which could be accessed by a determined dog or small child so care must be taken and young children should be supervised in the garden.
- Under cover bike storage is available
- Heating via a ground source heat pump. A starter pack of logs in provided for each of the fires.
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Wifi provided. Please note internet speeds in Suffolk can sometimes be slow.
- Parking in the drive for 4 cars
- One well behaved dog is welcome at Woodhall Manor. The garden is not fully fenced and owners should be aware that there is a pond in the garden next door (which would be accessible to most dogs).
- In consideration of other holidaymakers please do not smoke in the house
This charming country house was an ideal base to travel around and visit attractions in Norfolk and Suffolk. Set in a beautiful peaceful location, the extremely large gardens were a bonus for the children in our party who could enjoy running around without being restrained! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Charming country house in a beautiful rural location. Peaceful and ideal for children to run around safely in the extensive gardens.Mrs Pauline Keeling - 30th July 2018
Absolutely beautiful couldn't fault it Mrs Susie Beighton - 4th July 2018
Beautiful location, very peaceful and a charming house. Miss Emma Stow - 4th June 2018
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Cookery Workshop and Entertainment
Have fun and learn some new skills with a cookery workshop from local chef Emma Crowhurst
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Prosecco O'Clock Private Prosecco Party
Whether it is to celebrate an anniversary, special birthday or just ‘because’, there’s always an excuse for a sparkling celebration with a Private Prosecc...
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.