A traditional terraced cottage on the edge of the charming village of Wenhaston, a heathland village in the Blyth Valley close to Blythburgh and the Suffolk coast at Southwold.
WALBERSWICK 5 miles, SOUTHWOLD 7 miles, DUNWICH 4.5 miles, HALESWORTH 3.5 miles, ALDEBURGH 15 miles
About the property: Belvedere is a traditional terraced cottage looking out over the Blyth Valley to the front and with a lovely private landscaped garden to the rear. Cleverly extended, the cottage now has both summer and winter sitting rooms to make the very most of all weathers. Just a few steps from the conservatory is a large garden bedroom with en suite shower room - ideal for a couple or parents with baby. There are two further bedrooms on the first floor of the cottage. The cottage is something of a 'tardis' with a narrow frontage leading through a good sized sitting room to the dining room and conservatory, a really warm and sunny room which leads through to the patio and the garden room beyond. The galley kitchen is small but well equipped and has the advantage of a dishwasher and a nice big coffee machine.
This property is ideal for: A family or a small group of friends. The garden bedroom is really spacious and would suit a couple looking for a bit of peace or privacy, or parents with a baby; there is plenty of room for a travel cot (not provided). The double bedroom upstairs has a king size bed and again there is space in the room for a cot. The other bedroom upstairs has a single bed.
The Grounds: The garden is really spacious and very private. The paved patio is sheltered and cosy. An archway leads through to the large landscaped garden which stretches well beyond the width of the cottage, with lawned area, shrubs and trees. There is a pleasant seating area with table and chairs for al fresco dining.
Out and About: Step outside and directly opposite the cottage is a footpath leading over the fields to the Blyth Valley, a quiet and beautiful area with paths beside the river all the way to Halesworth. A very short stroll in the other direction and you will reach the Sandlings heath, a protected area famed for its rare and wonderful bird life. We have seen both nightingale and nightjar there in spring.
Wenhaston is lucky enough to have a great pub, The Star, and both you and your dog (should you have one) will be made very welcome. The church is worth a visit whatever your religion, as it houses a rare and wonderful Doom Painting. Nearby Halesworth is great for shopping, and there is a good market selling loads of local produce including fresh fish, which can also be purchased from the fish huts at Southwold and Walberswick where there are sandy beaches. Walkers and bird watchers will enjoy a trip to RSPB Minsmere and historians, young and old, will love the Dunwich Museum, one of the best small museums in the country.
Parking: There is off road parking shared by the cottage and its nearest neighbours.
Eating and drinking out: The Queens Head at Bramfield, just a couple of miles down the road, has a really good reputation for food. Halesworth also offers an excellent choice of pubs and restaurants. Cleones Italian Restaurant at The Angel offers authentic Italian food, including delicious homemade pizzas straight from the oven, and generous portions of homemade pasta. All vegetables and meat are sourced locally. Booking is necessary to avoid disappointment. The pub also serves a good traditional menu. If you are a fan of Thai food you must try Singtong Neeyom in Halesworth. Run by a husband and wife team, this friendly restaurant comes highly recommended by locals. The food is to die for, and a takeaway service is also available. NB: Singtong Neeyom is closed on a Monday so do not get caught out.
Entertainment: Flat screen TV and DVD player, iPod dock and CD player and a good selection of books and CDs.
Packing tips: Bring a pair of binoculars to make the most of Minsmere. Don't forget a good warm coat for brisk walks on Dunwich beach.
- Sleeps 5
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 3.5 miles
- Nearest pub 0.6 mile
- 6.8 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The front door leads to a porch with coat hooks and space for walking shoes etc
- Door to the sitting room with two large sofas, coffee table and lamps, log burning stove, bookcase with eclectic choice of books, large flat screen TV with DVD
- The galley kitchen includes electric cooker, dishwasher, coffee machine, toaster, microwave, kettle and large fridge freezer
- The dining room has a sideboard and large dining table ideal for 6 people, iPod dock and CD player (a good selection of CDs)
- The conservatory has sofa and easy chairs, coffee table and built in dresser, which hides both the central heating boiler and washer dryer. Doors from the conservatory lead to the patio and garden bedroom
- The bathroom is on the ground floor and includes a bath with hand held shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail and bathroom cabinet
- The garden bedroom is located to the right of the patio. A large bedroom with super king double bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, towel rail, chest of drawers and wardbrobe. A kettle and tea making facilities are provided. There is space for a cot in the bedroom. There is an en-suite shower room with shower, wash basin and w.c.
- The staircase is quite steep
- Bedroom 1: A king sized double bed with bedside cabinets and lamps, wardrobe and chest of drawers, there are views across the Blyth Valley from the bedroom window
- Bedroom 2: The bedroom has a single bed, bedside cabinet and lamp, chest of drawers and hooks
- The garden is made up of two unique landscaped areas.
- The patio is paved and there are two gentle steps up to the seating area with garden chairs and the garden bedroom with en suite shower room.
- An archway leads through to the landscaped garden which enjoys large areas of lawn, paths and paved seating area.
- Off street parking
- Central heating, bed linen and towels are provided
- There is a small supply of logs for the wood burning stove
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the property
- Wi fi for your laptop. A limited broadband/wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- The Star Inn - tel. 01502 478240. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
Lovely cottage, well decorated and beautiful garden.Mr H, Hertfordshire - 25th August 2013
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.