DescriptionComfortable detached house with large south-west facing garden in Westleton. Minutes from RSPB Minsmere and coast.
High Oaks, Westleton, Suffolk, UK. SOUTHWOLD 9 miles (14.5 km), ALDEBURGH 8.5 miles (14 km), DUNWICH 2 miles (4 km), ORFORD 18 miles (29 km), WOODBRIDGE 20 miles (33 km)
Set back from the lane in delightful gardens, on the edge of the lovely coastal village of Westleton overlooking the coastal heathland, a conservation area of major importance in the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
A brick built modern detached house. Architecturally designed to make full use of the delightful views, large windows look out over the gardens. High Oaks is a spacious modern house with living space to share and quiet areas for reading and reflection. Recently having undergone redecoration at the start of 2015, High Oaks now has the addition of a superking bed, as well updates to the bedrooms, sitting room and garden room.
The landscape gardens of well over half an acre contain a number of mature trees and many plant species. The garden has a pergola and a very attractive pond filled with water-lilies and water irises, and fringed by bamboo. There's a large lawn for relaxing and sunbathing.
There is a ground floor bedroom and bathroom making High Oaks suitable for those with some mobility difficulties as well as family groups and friends. All the bedding is synthetic.
Anyone enjoying walking, bird watching, cycling or simply exploring Suffolk's finest beaches. Surrounded by ancient heath land, with fantastic walks from the door, Westleton is just a couple of miles from the world famous RSPB Minsmere and the lost city of Dunwich, and the beach. Westleton itself is typical of the best of Suffolk villages: A large village green, with duck pond, surrounded by mature trees, picture postcard cottages and a fine old coaching inn. The thatched church, built in 1340, is well worth a visit as is the fascinating second hand bookshop in a former chapel. Southwold, Aldeburgh and Snape (home of the Aldeburgh Festival) are about eight miles away.
Eating & Drinking:
Just a short walk from the house is The Crown and across the road, The White Horse - both lovely Adnams Pubs selling top quality pub food. Westleton also boasts an excellent restaurant and a rather nice tea shop. The village shop is 'TARDIS' like and certainly sells everything you could want for your holiday. Dunwich has another excellent pub - The Ship Inn - and a great fish and chip shop. Southwold, Halesworth, Yoxford and Aldeburgh all have lovely pubs and excellent restaurants. Fresh fish can be purchased from the fishermen's huts at Aldeburgh, Dunwich and Southwold. There are two supermarkets in nearby Saxmundham - Waitrose and Tesco - and a Co-op in Leiston.
Most welcome at High Oaks and they will love the garden - do be aware that there is a medium-sized pond (between this and the internal open-tread staircase with wide-spaced banisters, High Oaks is probably unsuitable for toddlers). There is also a large outdoor playground on the edge of the village and do take them to the Museum at Dunwich, it is a gem!
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Southwold.
- Sleeps 5
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 7.5 miles
- Nearest pub 0.2 mile
- 9.1 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- Separate utility/boot room, butler sink, washing machine, iron and ironing board, perfect for the dogs to sleep, door to
- Archway into large kitchen, plenty of workspace, double electric range cooker with extractor fan, fridge with small freezer compartment, radio and microwave. The dining area is open to the kitchen and has a large dresser, dining room table and six chairs. With two armchairs and windows overlooking the gardens, there are doors to the garden room and hallway
- The hallway, with Amtico flooring, has a small desk table and chair and two seater settee. Open staircase leads to the first floor. This open staircase and its widely-spaced bannisters make the house unsuitable for toddlers.
- A door from the hallway leads to downstairs cloakroom with wash hand basin and w.c.
- Another door leads to the sitting room with sofas, armchairs, coffee table, flat screen TV with SKY free-view, DVD, radio stereo, multi-fuel burning stove, large picture windows (which do not open) overlooking the garden. Patio sliding doors from this room lead into the garden room with cane chairs, coffee table, and a further three chairs and circular table which can be taken outside. The picture windows make this a great room to sit in or just enjoy the open doors to the patio and gardens beyond
- Also downstairs leading from the hallway is a large bedroom with twin beds, plenty of wardrobe space, chest of drawers, bedside table, lamp and armchair. The modern en-suite bathroom has a walk-in-shower, heated towel rail, w.c. and wash hand basin.
- Large casement windows flood this landing with dazzling sunlight. An armchair with space to sit and read the large collection of books on the shelves
- There is a double room with superking bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, wash basin and sofa. A surprise hideaway child's bedroom off this room only suitable for a child up to age 6 or 7
- Small single bedroom with single bed, limited shelving and hanging space.
- Family bathroom with bath, shower and wash basin
- Separate w.c.
- Bed linen, towels, lighting and central heating included
- Oil central heating
- Parking for several cars
- Guests are asked to consider other holidaymakers and not to smoke in the house
- N.B. the occupancy at this property must NOT exceed 5, and babies/small children at this property do count towards this number
- Dogs are allowed in the kitchen and utility rooms only. Normally only 1 dog is allowed - more may be allowed by prior arrangement with the owner.
- An unlimited broadband/wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router.
- The Westleton Crown, tel. 01728 648777. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice, so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- Extra blankets for chilly nights. A hairdryer and hoover are also provided.
- A very large flashlight is provided in lieu of a torch in the kitchen cupboard.
- A particular feature of High Oaks is the garden, entirely enclosed by fencing and hedges. Visitors should be aware that, while the paths are mostly kept clear, at certain times of year the growth in the garden is prolific, which some people like and others consider 'seriously overgrown'. With lots of mature trees and shrubs, and with a bench beside the pond it is a quiet and sunny area in which to relax. The established bird feeders are very popular and offer a fantastic array of daily and seasonal visitors; guests are encouraged to keep these topped up
- N.B. There is one uncovered pond
Superb location especially for Minsmere, friendly owner, lovely village, spacious house and amazing garden/birds!Sarah S, London - 18th June 2015
A delightful house and a wonderful garden. We would like to spend 6 months here working our way through the books upstairs and the garden.A previous customer - 23rd September 2014
A superb holiday. High Oaks is like a second home, offering excellent quality, good value accommodation. Westleton is an ideal location for exploring Suffolk.A previous customer - 8th August 2014
Easter egg hunts and bird-spotting in the garden, including numerous types of finch and a greater spotted woodpecker. The house has lovely light everywhere. We will be back.A previous customer - 18th April 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £23.95 per pe...
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Sponge Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.