Rowing down the river or coarse fishing on the bank - both activities are available at Akenfield Cottage, Letheringham. Sitting on the bank of the river Deben, close to the Suffolk coast, Akenfield enjoys three quarters of an acre of beautifully landscaped terraced gardens leading down to a private inlet and your own rowing boat. The setting for the film 'Akenfield', based on Ronald Blythe's book 'A Portrait of an English (Suffolk) Village', this truly is an unspoilt location for a self catering holiday. Suffice to say, you would certainly be pushed to find a more relaxing situation.
WOODBRIDGE 9.5 miles, FRAMLINGHAM 4.5 miles, SNAPE 11 miles, ALDEBURGH 15 miles, ORFORD 13 miles, LAVENHAM 29 miles
Akenfield Cottage has been available for holiday letting for just over 2 years, and we are proud to say that guests are unanimous in their praise for this delightful property; "Beyond our wildest dreams" is a frequent comment.
This beautiful, contemporary home, constructed in oak and glass, provides a generous, bright living space. Featuring views of the country cottage garden to the west and over landscaped lawns down to the meandering river Deben to the East, the narrow stretch of the river is alive with wildlife and plants. Coarse fishing is permitted from the jetty area and the owners are even happy to lend visitors a rod. Otters, perch, and tench all frequent the river, and whilst kingfisher sweep through the trees by day, owls can be heard and sometimes seen hunting at night.
The sitting area centres around a Swedish style wood burning stove, ensuring that the cottage is warm and homely in all seasons with plenty of room to relax. If you ever tire of the stunning views there is a smart TV, DVD, radio and an iPod dock to keep you entertained. The kitchen is well equipped so you can enjoy dining at home, with a breakfast bar for informal meals and dining table for candlelit suppers. The bedroom is spacious with luxurious carpeting, plenty of storage and TV for a lazy start to your day. The shower room is designed with easy access to a wet room style shower, with an external boiler providing hot water on demand.
Sleeps: Sleeps 2 in one room with king size bed.
Please note: A travel cot is available for small babies although the property is not really suitable for crawling babies or toddlers.
Parking: For one car on private shingle driveway.
This property is ideal for: A romantic weekend, or longer, for two. The surrounding countryside is stunning with narrow lanes weaving through open farmland; this is classic rural Suffolk. Walking or cycling are great ways to explore the picturesque local villages of Easton, Wickham Market and Kettleburgh.
The neighbouring estate of Easton Farm Park was built in the late 1800s and has retained the original, now listed, farm buildings. There are 'Green Trails' across the water meadows, home to kingfishers, otters, water voles and herons, though most of the activities are designed for families with younger children.
A little further afield are the market towns of Framlingham; with its impressive Castle, individual shops, tearooms and bistros, and Woodbridge, tucked away on the beautiful river Deben with one of the last working Tide Mills. The Thoroughfare and Market Hill are charming, unspoilt and full of historic buildings, galleries, boutiques and plenty of excellent restaurants.
The Suffolk Heritage Coast is only a short drive away with great coastal walks and towns to explore along the way from Orford and Aldeburgh to Dunwich and Southwold.
You may prefer to relax in the beautiful landscaped gardens of Akenfield Cottage and gently paddle up stream in the rowing boat moored at your own private jetty. The river can be navigated upstream as far as Abbey Farm Bridge (about 1/4 of a mile) and downstream as far as Letheringham Mill. This alluring and tranquil location will inspire poets, writers and artists. You will be truly surrounded by wildlife, with frequent sightings of Kingfishers and Otters, Red Kite and Buzzards - a great way to see some of the gems of Suffolk.
For sport and leisure, there is a championship golf course in Ufford, Suffolk Golf Club with spa and bar facilities and at Cretingham, a 18 hole golf course, pool and tennis courts, where daily and weekly membership is available. Seckford Hall also has swimming, golf and spa and is set in 34 acres of stunning parkland, great for lunches or formal suppers too.
Eating and Drinking Out: The region boasts some excellent pubs and restaurants. The White Horse, Easton is just minutes by car or a very pleasant 20 minute stroll down country lanes, and the White Horse is one of the finest foodie pubs for miles - well worth a visit. The Queens Head, Brandeston is another rural pub, situated just a few miles from Letheringham and is popular with locals and visitors alike.
The Station, Framlingham has a great menu, all displayed on large wall mounted blackboards, in a charming yet rustic setting with heavy wooden tables and a buzzy atmosphere. The East Coast Diner and The Table, both situated in the heart of Woodbridge, are both fantastic choices if you fancy something a little different. The Diner has a casual American bar style menu and is the perfect place to visit in the evening if you fancy a freshly made cocktail. The Table offers foods of the world, and with the ever-changing menu always fresh and exciting, great for enjoying coffees and cake in the morning too!
Riverside Theatre and Cinema, Woodbridge is a wonderful theatre and cinema right on the edge of the river Deben. They also house a Michelin listed restaurant that is well worth visiting. Fantastic menus and food, served in a stylish setting for some upmarket dining.
Self Catering Eating: Wickham Market is just a 5 minute drive away with a Co-op superstore and the famous family butcher, Revetts & Son selling their award winning sausages. For locally sourced produce, The Suffolk Providore offers a home delivery service and all the major online supermarkets also deliver to this address.
For more information on the area please take a look at our online guides, Visit Framlingham and Visit Woodbridge
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- Sorry, no pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 3 miles
- Nearest pub 1.2 miles
- 14.7 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- All accommodation is on the ground floor.
- Front door leads into a tiled lobby with coat stand, shoe rack and access to the bedroom, shower room and open plan living area.
- The bedroom is spacious with a king sized bed, wardrobe, drawer unit, TV showing Freeview, cheval mirror, armchair and bedside tables with lamps and hair dryer. The room is carpeted and has views to the east over the garden.
- The shower room is fully tiled with stylish fittings including basin, wc, glass shelving, mirror and wet room style shower, with instant hot water.
- The open plan living area includes a modern fitted kitchen with storage cupboards, a slimline gas oven with grill and hob, fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine, microwave and a dining bar with stools. For more formal dining, there is an oak dining table and 4 chairs. The sitting area includes two 2-seater sofas, a classic 'poang' chair, coffee table, iPod dock, Swedish wood burning stove and a corner unit with freeview TV DVD/TV/radio combi - CDs can be played through the DVD on the TV. The west facing wall is entirely glass including french doors onto an outside sitting area.
- The property is accessed via a private shingle driveway, which is gated, with space for one car.
- Beyond the gate is a path to the front of the property and shingled sitting area where guests are welcome to use the charcoal barbecue. The landscaped gardens extend all around the property, the front garden being laid to lawn with flower borders. The rear garden rolls gently down to the river and small wooden deck area, complete with rowing boat for guests to use (at their own risk). There are also seats to view the river and fish if desired.
- Seating in the garden includes: wooden benches, wooden armchairs, wooden picnic bench, table and 4 chairs.
- The property is newly constructed and very well insulated. There is a log burning stove in the living room and an initial supply of logs is provided. There is an oil filled electric radiator in the bedroom and heated towel rail in the bathroom.
- Bed linen and towels are included. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the property.
- An unlimited broadband/wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films.
- Hot water on demand supplied by an external boiler. Water softening treatment.
- There is a charcoal barbecue available. There is also an iron and ironing board and hairdryer.
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|2nd June 2017 - 21st July 2017||£609.00|
|21st July 2017 - 1st September 2017||£762.00|
|1st September 2017 - 29th September 2017||£609.00|
|29th September 2017 - 20th October 2017||£498.00|
|20th October 2017 - 27th October 2017||£609.00|
|27th October 2017 - 22nd December 2017||£498.00|
|22nd December 2017 - 6th January 2018||£762.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
"A lovely cottage in a stunning location. David and Ruth (and Molly) are wonderful hosts offering lots of helpful information. We have had a lovely week relaxing and exploring the local area. The gardens are beautiful and it is very peaceful."Nicky, Sam and James, Leicestershire - 16th June 2017
Akenfield Cottage was lovely, as were the gardens and the owners were very friendly too.A previous customer - 22nd July 2016
The cottage was very well presented and equipped.Karl S, Wiltshire - 22nd August 2015
It is a comfortable cottage in a lovely location. The cottages you offer seem of a high standard.Rita A, Buckinghamshire - 29th April 2015
It was perfect. Wonderful location, done out to such a high standard, comfortable, clean, peaceful, and I just want to turn round and go straight back!Judy E, Enfield - 18th April 2015
Akenfield Cottage was just what we were looking for.Robert R, London - 18th March 2015