A Georgian Suffolk farmhouse set in acres of woodland, just 5 minutes from the sea at Shingle Street. The 850 acre farm was for many years used as a shooting estate. Edwardian owners with a love of the Arts and Craft Movement added house decoration and garden seating areas.
WOODBRIDGE 7 miles, SHINGLE STREET 3.2 miles, ORFORD 12 miles
Style: Perrinott House is built in the Georgian style with high ceilings and large rooms to compliment the original house, Hollesley Lodge the which is now occupied by the owners.
Grounds: The house is set well back from the road down a drive, the entrance through attractive wooden gates which open into a large gravelled parking area, surrounded by lawns, shrubs and mature trees. With windows and doors on the east, south and west sides of the house, holidaymakers can make the very most of the sun throughout the day. The woods are home to deer which frequently wander into the garden, nightingales, owls, bats, even the occasional badger, so you don't have to travel far to see the beauties of nature. Beyond the fenced garden is woodland, with cover for pheasant and partridge, and paddocks where the owners keep their ponies and horses.
Attractive footpaths and bridleways criss-cross the area leading down to the beach at Shingle Street in one direction and the wildlife rich Sandlings heaths towards Sutton and Woodbridge in the other.
Sleeps: 4 in two double bedrooms both with ensuite, one can be adapted to a twin.
Perrinott House has the advantage of an additional wet room shower in the ground floor cloakroom, ideal for walkers, sailors and children alike.
Eating and Drinking out: There are several good pubs close by including The Swan at Alderton, The Sorrell Horse at Shottisham and Wilford Bridge at Melton.
In Woodbridge, just a fifteen minute drive from the house, there is a really good range of excellent pubs and restaurants offering a wide range of menus including English, Indian, Italian, Chinese and Vegetarian. There is an excellent range of shops including many selling fresh local produce, fresh fish and organic bread.
Self catering: The kitchen itself is spacious and very well equipped. Holidaymakers can breakfast on the terrace, in the kitchen or use the formal dining table in the living room. The local shop is just a mile away in Hollesley village. Good food shopping can be had in Woodbridge and in the quieter town of Orford. Woodbridge has a weekly market - Thursday - and twice-monthly farmers' market on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month - well worth a visit.
Children: Children are extremely welcome and there is a cot, high chair, stair gates (available on request), a microwave and plenty of storage space for everything from buggies to bikes. The garden is fully fenced and has the added interest of old logs and mature trees for youngsters to explore. On a quiet road there is ample opportunity for cycling as well as delightful woodland walks to explore. Sutton Hoois close by - a wonderful treat for children and adults alike.
Just over a couple of miles from the coast at Shingle Street, and in easy reach of the wonderful coastal towns of Orford (Orford Castle) and Aldeburgh there is lots to do whether you are visiting for a weekend or a couple of weeks.
Packing Tips: Beachwear and walking boots. Golfing shoes as there are 18 hole golf courses in Woodbridge and Ufford. Binoculars of course for walking over the heaths - famous for ground nesting birds including the nightjar.
Also the house is close to Poplar Park riding stables which offers riding lessons and hacking, do book in advance.
For more information about the area, please see our online guide, Visit Woodbridge.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 1 mile
- Nearest pub 1 mile
- 3.2 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
The Ground Floor
- A covered porch opens into a large hall with plenty of pegs and space to hang coats etc. Also french doors leading out at the rear to the patio area
- Off the hallway is a downstairs cloakroom which is extremely large and has the advantage of being a wet room. Shower, washbasin and w.c., ideal for anyone with some restricted mobility.
- The Living room which has two large sofas, two armchairs, coffee table as well as occasional tables and lamps. The 50" inch flat screen TV comes with part sky film and full sports SKY package
- The Trifolding doors extending the whole length of the living and sitting area are a delight, bringing the south facing terrace and gardens beyond just a step away! Along with the dining table and seating for 6, radio/CD player, and bookshelves with books and games, a truly amazing find.
- There is a large fully fitted kitchen with dishwasher, large fridge with freezer beneath, microwave, oven and ceramic hob. As well as a good supply of china and cutlery. There is a delightful breakfast area with plenty of room for a high chair as well as four chairs.
- A door leads from the kitchen to the utility room with washing machine and tumble dryer, cleaning materials etc and loads of space for the storage of buggies, boots, sailing equipment etc. There is a full sized table tennis table, which can be used on the terrace.
- A great staircase with a landing turn, although wide and otherwise straight leads to the first floor.
- Bedroom 2 has two full sized single beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King). There are bedside tables and lamps, a chest of drawers and a walk in cupboard with shelving and hanging space.
- The ensuite bathroom has a bath, washbasin, w.c. and towel rail
- Bedroom 1 - the master bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, coffee table and two easy chairs, and chest of drawers. There is a separate good sized dressing room with hanging space and shelving and loads of room for storage of cases etc
- The ensuite bathroom has a bath with handheld mixer shower attachment, washbasin, w.c. and towel rail
- Wooden gates lead into the garden which is fully fenced with loads of parking space in the sweeping drive, grassed areas with shrubs and mature trees
- Bikes etc can be stored in the covered area (where the table tennis table is stored) next to the utility room
- There is a large terrace with table and chairs. With east, south and west facing areas you can make the most of the sun at any time of day
- Table tennis
- Bed linen and towels are provided - please bring your own beach towels
- Cot, high chair and two stair gates are provided
- The house has central heating (oil) throughout
- Part SKY Film and Full sports package.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the house
- Wifi service is provided.
I think we have been to the property 8 times - that speaks for itself. It’s perfect! Mrs Ann Brockett - 22nd April 2018
This is our 3rd visit to this fantastic house. We love the space, the house is well quipped and having the table tennis is a bonus! - 17th July 2017
A lovely home and a lovely holiday. Beautiful surroundings with many interesting places to visit. - 23rd September 2016
What a great home! The perfect base for a Suffolk holiday - 16th July 2016
What a fantastic few days, the views, the privacy, the walks, we will be back - in fact we have already booked! Thank you, a great find.A previous customer - 11th July 2015
The property was excellent, very well equipped and entirely lived up to theÂ descriptionÂ on your website. All in all, we were delighted with our holiday, thanks both to Suffolk Cottage Holidays and the owners of the beautiful Perrinott House.Terry D, Warwickshire - 18th June 2015
What a lovely house. We had a lovely time and will have many happy memories of our stay here. We saw a lot of Suffolk and love the county and its coastline. We will certainly recommend family and friends. Our 18 month daughter loved all the space and the garden (and sitting in the fireplace).Neil R, Warwickshire - 14th June 2014
Probably the largest holiday cottage we've ever stayed in! Everything we could want and more - except the weather!A previous customer - 18th May 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.