Special Offer: Available at reduced pricing for 8 people using four of the six bedrooms only during off-peak times. Please specify your preference at time of booking. Please call for further details.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
This Big House Holiday Property:
The Great House, Orford: New to the market! One of the most important houses and gardens situated in the heart of Orford. The Great House, built in the early 1800s, is a Grade II listed property. With views of both the castle and the coast, the house is believed to have been built as a shooting lodge for the Sudbourne estate and was restored in 2017. The Great house is now superbly finished throughout. The house retains many of its original features and offers two large and comfortable reception rooms, a superb Billiard room, a large kitchen with breakfast room and a dining room which seats up to 20 guests. Each of the six bedrooms has access to its own (brand new) bathroom, the master bedroom includes an Emperor sized double bed, a large bathroom and private sitting room.
The Grounds: The elegant formal and informal gardens are an important adjunct to the house and can be enjoyed and accessed from the hall, sitting room and the breakfast room. From the breakfast room is a spacious patio area with table and chairs and barbecue which leads out to the surrounding garden (around 1.5 acres) which includes a wonderful old orchard, secret garden surrounded by yew hedging and an expansive and charmingly planted lawned area with Croquet, Table Tennis or Kubb.
Sleeps: The Great House sleeps 12 to 14 guests in 6 bedrooms, the 3 largest bedrooms include Emperor doubles, 2 of which can be converted to make twin beds, the remaining bedrooms have king sized double beds - do remember to state which configuration of beds you would prefer well before the start of your holiday. Two additional Z beds are available by arrangement for children at a cost of £50 each.
This property is ideal for: Large or extended families, friends with friends and corporate use for board meetings away.With six en suites as well as a separate cloakroom downstairs, this premium holiday home would work equally well for six couples (with or without little ones), an extended family or a group of friends who want to make the most of the fantastic facilities of Orford. Youngsters and babies are very welcome, the house has both a cot and high chair, parents with toddlers or babies will be able to pack the car with ease! Do bring your own bedding for the cot. There are loads of indoor and outdoor games to choose from and a large selection of books for all ages. The Smart TV and Freeview will give you lots of choice for evening viewing.
Unusually the house offers the opportunity to register a credit card for 'home from home' amenities. Please discuss this with us before your holiday starts.
At additional cost the house offers a help your self stock of fine new world wines and classic beers from its cellar, pre made meals, a visiting chef, laundry, continental breakfast, personal training and sail boat river cruising or a sail at sea, all of which can be pre arranged and are chargeable at the end of your stay against a pre registered credit card.
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at The Great House. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day, whilst Brinkleys Fresh Fish Shed is the place to buy freshly caught fish - great on the BBQ!
Orford General Stores, just off Market Hill stocks all the essentials; the staff are friendly and really helpful - just what you need on holiday. There is also a super butchers - lovely sausages. The Pump Street Bakery is well known for its lovely chocolate, doughnuts, cakes and bread - no visit to Orford would be complete without a visit here.
Entertainment: The Property includes several TVs, an iPod dock, a full hifi sound system cross connected into the two receptions, a CD player/radio, DVDs. There is a large Billiard room with full size snooker table, a superb choice of board games and cards as well as an eclectic library of books. Outside there is Croquet, Kubb, boules and a table tennis table.
Experience an ocean going high performance luxury yacht for a half day or just for lunch.
Charter with a skipper' a one off yacht designed by the owner of The Great House.
Choose from a lunch out under power or a short at sea experience.
Eventually is a twin rudder powerful pilothouse sail boat with dual steering and a lifting keel offering Great House guests either an at sea sheltered sailing or a more gentle down to shingle street experience.
The boat is moored on the river Ore just off the Quay at Orford.
Available by prior arrangement.
At sea charters have to be timed to fit with the times of our high tides, with departures from the quay 3 hours before high water.
1. For those folk who do not want to sail at sea but would like to experience life on the water - A 2 hour Trip around Havergate Island under motor with snacks and drinks on board once moored.Champagne and light refreshments provided.
Maximum 7 persons.
Life jackets and a safety brief provided- delivery and collection to and from the yacht by the harbour masters launch.
2. For the more adventurous types a 3 - 4 hour sail from the mooring in the Ore out to sea for an hour followed by lunch or tea,- experience navigation in and out of the river, trimming sails and steering the yacht.Champagne and light refreshments provided
Maximum 5 persons.
Life jackets and a safety brief provided- delivery to and from the yacht by the harbour masters launch.
No children under 10.
- Sleeps 12
- 6 Bedrooms
- 6 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The double front doors open into a small lobby beyond which is the main hall with occasional tables and chairs and a old grandfather clock
- With old wooden floors and rugs, shutters to the windows, the drawing room has a large open fireplace, three sofas, armchairs, occasional tables and lamps, sound system with a selection of the cd's which guests are welcome to use.
- The sitting room cum snug, is again beautifully furnished with sofas and armchairs, a large 49” flat screened TV showing Netflix and Freeview, corner cupboard and books and log burning stove. The stereo system also links here from the drawing room so music can be enjoyed throughout. A door leads out to the garden.
- The dining room includes a table seating up to 20 guests and has sideboards and serving tables. There are tablecloths available as well as a full formal dining set. A door leads through to the breakfast room and kitchen.
- The breakfast room includes dressers, occasional tables and a breakfast table seating 8 - 10. Bi-fold doors lead out to the barbecue terrace and garden beyond.
- A further door leads from the breakfast room to a corridor with coat hooks and space for shoe storage beyond which is a side door leading to the parking area. To one side is a large utility room with a microwave, 'dog' shower, sink, washing machine and tumble dryer, bottle fridge and further freezer. A small supply of frozen meals are stored in the freezer just in case guests arrive late and hungry.
- The kitchen includes a 4 oven Blue electric AGA, large LG s/steel fridge freezer with ice maker, Britannia 6 hob gas range cooker, Kitchenaid Nespresso coffee machine (a starter pack of pods are provided), breakfast bar, butler sink, Magimix food processor and ample cooking equipment. There are 2 dishwashers.
- The Billiard Room has a full-sized snooker table, desk and chair, board games and card tables, desk with access for guests laptops and a printer. There is also an iPod with iPod dock and guests are welcome to browse the music and enjoy.
- Cellar- wine storage.
- Midway up the stairs is a galleried room with table and chair, bookcase and occasional tables.
- All bedrooms have a USB socket by the bed, and hairdryers.
- All bathrooms have a shaver/electric tooth brush socket.
- The Merlin Rocket suite includes a zip and link Emperor bed, large chest of drawers, chaise longue, arm chairs, wardrobe, dressing table and chair. A private corridor leads to both the en suite bathroom with large walk in shower, double ended roll top bath with hand held shower, heated towel rail,wc and shave point, and a spacious sitting room with sofas and chaise longue, books, TV and a great selection of children's games and toys.
- The Dragon Bedroom includes an Emperor bed, chest of drawers, arm chair, wardrobe, dressing table and chair. There is an en suite with large shower with both rain and hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail and shave point.
- The Firefly Bedroom has a king sized sleigh bed, corner wardrobe, table and chair, wash basin. The en suite has a large walk in shower with both rain and hand held showers, w.c., heated towel rail and shave point.
- The Flying Fifteen Bedroom includes an Emperor bed, chest of drawers, arm chair, wardrobe, dressing table and chair. The en suite is to one end of the bedroom - with large shower with both rain and hand held shower, wash basin, heated towel rail and shave point. The w.c. is located in its own room off the bedroom.
- Two steps lead up from the main landing is a Jack and Jill bathroom with roll-top bath with hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., radiator, towel rail and shave point is located beside bedroom 5, close to the top of the main staircase. A door leads from the bathroom to
- The Wayfarer Bedroom has a king sized sleigh bed, corner wardrobe, table and chair. There is a door leading to the Jack and Jill bathroom and another to the landing (2 steps down).
- The Loch Long Bedroom An antique French Emperor sized bed which can be converted into 2 large single beds, dressing table and chair, large armoire, easy chair. Door to:
- En suite bathroom with large walk in shower with rain and hand held shower, basin, w.c., heated towel rail and shave point.
- This bedroom accesses the second staircase which leads down to the breakfast room.
- A pair of gates lead into the drive and the front doors. A drive to the left leads to a parking area with space for at least 6 cars.
- There is a secret garden surrounded by yew hedging, a sunken garden, a private lawn and a large lawned garden with croquet overlooked by a large terrace with seating for all the visitors, barbecue, outside table tennis.
- A gate leads to the orchard where there is a variety of ancient apple and other fruit trees. Here too, an outdoor table tennis table is set on the patio.
- Charcoal BBQ and firepit, umbrella
- A state of the art open sourced heat pump, drawing warm ground water from the house well runs to provide the house with hot water and central heating, there is also an emergency gas boiler and log fires in both the sitting room and drawing room. There is an electric AGA and a gas range so you can cook even if there is a temporary power cut. Baskets of logs are provided. A small starter pack of charcoal for the BBQ is also provided.
- Hotel quality Isabella bed linen and fluffy towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. For infants, one highchair, one travelcot and one stairgate are provided. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Welcome hamper and toiletries. There is also a hairdryer for each room.
- Kitchen is fully stocked with herbs, spices, jams, chutneys etc on a use and replace basis
- Looking for a special dinner or a relaxing lunch? Various catering options are available at your property - please call for details
- A hot tub can be hired for use at the property: http://www.holidayhottubhire.co.uk
- A day's yachting can be arranged - timings dependent on tides. Wonderful views - a superb day out for all the family - please call for details
- There is large selection of books, games and films for all the family
Unlimited rapid Wifi available throughout the house
Fantastic house, wonderfully happy time here with friends and family celebrating a big 50th Birthday, couldn't have been more enjoyable. Comfortable, convivial and gloriously decadent! Chic! Weather was fabulous too! Love the 'Orford II' - 26th October 2018
Sad to be leaving - wonderful house, excellent venue for our annual friends gathering - Find memories.BBC Tour 2018 - 7th October 2018
We came 'en masse' to celebrate my Mothers 80th Birthday at the 'Great House'. What a wonderful house in a lovely location! Lots of room for us all and the Snooker room was a hit, as well as croquet on the lawn. Bedrooms are all lovely and really comfy and there are so many personal and interesting things everywhere, it makes it a home from home. We had a fantastic week and thank you for letting us stay in the Great House .The Lacey, Rouse & Cumberland Families - 7th September 2018
We loved the garden. Furniture good. Beds very comfortable. House very impressive.Mrs Deanna Taylor - 21st July 2018
We followed the previous family and agree with all their sentiments, bed, space, garden etc and also unbelievably good weather. A real treat for the family and a great way to celebrate a special birthday. We met the gardener Bob, a very pleasant man. I really wish I could take the garden home with me. Fondest RegardsThe Taylor Family, Berkshire - 17th July 2018
What a great house it is! We've had a wonderful time in this glorious house. Super comfy beds, plenty of space, gorgeous gardens - what more could we want. We also had wonderful sunshine for the entire weekend which was an added bonus. Many thanks for a wonderful time. With best wishes to those who follow us here xAnn Sergent & Family - 2nd July 2018
We celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday with the whole family together in this charming house. We had great fun playing snooker, table tennis and especially Kubb. I would highly recommend this house for a great stay in wonderful Orford Mrs lisa Crossley - 22nd June 2018
The perfect place for a 21st Birthday Celebrations with all the family. We had the most fun and fully utilised the games/activities. Some of us may take up Kubb professionally!Lisel, Graham, Freya, Henry, Emma, Dom, Callum, Sam & Fitore - 18th June 2018
Our 3rd visit to The Great House and I actually think it gets better each time! Meals out, dinners in. Crabbing in the harbour and games in the lounge, drinks in the pub, parties in the garden, long walks through the fens, table tennis and Kubb on the lawn. Whether you stay in or go out, the house and the beautiful village of Orford have so much to offer! Be sure to buy ice cream from the van in the car park near the harbour, salted caramel is highly recommended... We will always be grateful for the late nights, sunny days, cold beers & sun burn! Great memories in the Great House. Don't even get me started on the cloud like beds and thoughtful touches from the owners that make this a real home from home (I wish...), Thank you!Hattie & Will & Masie The Dog - 10th June 2018
And what a great house!! We have had a truly magical week in spite of the fact that we came to celebrate grumpy Grandpa's 80th Birthday! He was keen to go to the 80s & 90s disco in the village believing he is now qualified! We all went to Have-a gate Island even though we already 'avocet' at home! We went to Orford Castle and it wasn't 'awful' but we did end up in A&E. We were charmed by the Open Gardens day and the opportunity to meet your neighbours. Exciting garden residents include a grass snake, a Muntjac, two fighting cats and our own dog, Fudge. Very competitive Crabbing - 44 crabs in an hour - can you bait that? An Unforgettable week!Justin, Jemima, Richard, George, Holly, Harriet, Matilda, Jenny, Hazel & Annabel - 1st June 2018
Fabulous place! Perfect for multiple family groups (will be on my summer list for next year!). Amazing gardens and helpful hosts. Mrs Susan Percival-Simmon - 21st May 2018
The Great House has been a fabulous base for us during our 10 day stay in the U.K. Perfect for our group - the space was perfect. With the added bonus of a snooker table and beautiful gardens, all of us were happy. Orford is a beautiful village, friendly and welcoming. The village shop is well stocked, Kings head serves a good pint, quay side great for a walk and the Castle and its grounds provided interest.Coach Evern van Niekerk - 19th May 2018
Gorgeous family weekend for our Son's wedding. Couldn't have been a more perfect house, setting, weather, everything. Cameron - 22nd April 2018
Beautifully decorated, spacious yet cosy and comfortable, easily reachable and marvelously well equipped - this was the perfect setting for bringing together family & friends for a celebration. - 14th January 2018
What a wonderful house, fabulous location and beautifully decorated, a great place. August 2017
What a wonderful place to spend our Mothers 80th Birthday. Having holidayed to Orford for 32 years and walked past the "Great House", how amazing to actually stay here. Fab paintings as well. Thank you. December 2017
A thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing week in a stunning house. We've loved it! August 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Cookery Workshop and Entertainment
Have fun and learn some new skills with a cookery workshop from local chef Emma Crowhurst
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Prosecco O'Clock Private Prosecco Party
Whether it is to celebrate an anniversary, special birthday or just ‘because’, there’s always an excuse for a sparkling celebration with a Private Prosecc...
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price