Special Offers: 10% off remaining dates in June at this property
Reduced Occupancy Offer - This listing is for 8 people, using 4 bedrooms only. For full use, please see ref: GHO where The Great House can be booked for 12 people.
Fit for the cast of Downton Abbey - be transported into high end self catering bliss as you step foot inside The Great House. As the name suggests; this property truly is 'great' in both size and nature with a plethora of bedrooms and reception rooms to entertain both families and friends alike. Standing proud in the popular Suffolk coastal village of Orford - this house certainly is worth treating yourselves for.
Completely refurbished in 2016/17 - this grand property was transformed into the fully functioning, packed to the brim with mod-con's, popular 21st Century holiday let that we see today. An interior lover's paradise; much time and consideration has been taken to create a dramatic and memorable finish which echoes the history and location of the building. With a homely kitchen/breakfast room fit for cooking up a storm - why not host a dinner party in the grand dining room (seating up to 20). In the summer months; fling open the rear doors and let the outside in; there's 1.5 acres of garden to be enjoyed. So what are you waiting for?
Ideal for: Families or friends looking to splash out on that extra special holiday. Be it a 'big' birthday celebration or a family reunion - this property is perfect for entertaining; or simply for making wonderful memories.
Sleeps: 8 in 4 emperor / twin beds. Please specify if you would like an emperor or twin beds at the time of booking. Complete with 2 en-suites and two further bathrooms. 1 well behaved dog also welcome.
The Great House (8) is also available as for 12 people. For more information and to book, please click here.
Exploring: The coastal village of Orford is incredibly popular with both locals and visitors alike. Known for it's relatively car-less lanes (outside of season), many a family come here for bracing walks, a sail to National Trust site Orfordness, a climb up Orford Castle or to support some of the fantastic local eateries. Equally popular with authors, artists and poets; Orford truly has a 'back in time' feeling - utterly relaxing and mysteriously addictive - you'll be hooked.
With 2 Adnams pubs, an award winning Hotel Restaurant (The Crown and Castle) and popular fish restaurant all within walking distance of The Great House (8) - dining out is a breeze. We also recommend picking up goodies from the renowned Pump St Bakery - who stock their chocolates nationwide; including Fortnum and Mason.
For something a little different; why not head to the Butley Oyster. Re-opened in 2017 - this entrepreneurial village hub not only serves fantastic food, it is also home to Suffolk's smallest cinema! With just 21 seats it shows films from yesteryear - check the timetable in the pub for the full listings and showings.
Premium Services: The Great House (8) offers the rare opportunity for holidaymakers to pre-register a credit card to enjoy added optional luxuries. If interested, please contact the office before the start of your stay.
Additional optional amenities available at an extra cost include: a selection of fine new world wines and classic beers from the cellar, the use of a caterer, pre-cooked meals, laundry service, a continental breakfast, the use of a personal trainer and sail-boat river or sea sailing on 'SY Eventually'. All chargeable to the pre-arranged card at the end of your stay.
'SY Eventually' - experience the ocean on a one-off yacht, designed by the owners of The Great House (8).
Moored on the river Ore, just off the Quay at Orford, sailing trips will need to be available by prior arrangement. To register interest please contact the office.
Option 1: 2 hour trip around Havergate Island under motor with snacks and drinks including Champagne. Max. 7 persons. £600.
Option 2: 3-4 hour sail from the mooring to the sea followed by lunch or tea. A great opportunity to experience navigating in and out of a river, trimming sails and steering a yacht. Champagne and light refreshments provided. Max. 5 persons. £850.
Life jackets and safety brief provided. Each option includes delivery to and from the yacht.
Self Catering: If you feel like dining in then there are a number of options for you. Most big name supermarkets will deliver to Orford - however, The Orford General Stores will cover for most eventualities - from stamps to soap - if you want it they've most likely got it! If you would prefer to collect a pre-order, call the team on 01394 450204 and they are happy to buy in anything you may require. There are also a small village stores at Butley - staffed during pub hours.
- Sleeps 8
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The double front doors open into a small lobby beyond which is the main hall with occasional tables and chairs and a old grandfather clock
- With old wooden floors and rugs, shutters to the windows, the drawing room has a large open fireplace, three sofas, armchairs, occasional tables and lamps, sound system with a selection of the cd's which guests are welcome to use.
- The sitting room cum snug, is again beautifully furnished with sofas and armchairs, a large 49” flat screened TV showing Netflix and Freeview, corner cupboard and books and log burning stove. The stereo system also links here from the drawing room so music can be enjoyed throughout. A door leads out to the garden.
- The dining room includes a table seating up to 20 guests and has sideboards and serving tables. There are tablecloths available as well as a full formal dining set. A door leads through to the breakfast room and kitchen.
- The breakfast room includes dressers, occasional tables and a breakfast table seating 8 - 10. Bi-fold doors lead out to the barbecue terrace and garden beyond.
- A further door leads from the breakfast room to a corridor with coat hooks and space for shoe storage beyond which is a side door leading to the parking area. To one side is a large utility room with a microwave, 'dog' shower, sink, washing machine and tumble dryer, bottle fridge and further freezer. A small supply of frozen meals are stored in the freezer just in case guests arrive late and hungry.
- The kitchen includes a 4 oven Blue electric AGA, large LG s/steel fridge freezer with ice maker, Britannia 6 hob gas range cooker, Kitchenaid Nespresso coffee machine (a starter pack of pods are provided), breakfast bar, butler sink, Magimix food processor and ample cooking equipment. There are 2 dishwashers.
- The Billiard Room has a full-sized snooker table, desk and chair, board games and card tables, desk with access for guests laptops and a printer. There is also an iPod with iPod dock and guests are welcome to browse the music and enjoy.
- Cellar- wine storage.
- Midway up the stairs is a galleried room with table and chair, bookcase and occasional tables.
- All bedrooms have a USB socket by the bed, and hairdryers.
- All bathrooms have a shaver/electric tooth brush socket.
- The Merlin Rocket suite includes a zip and link Emperor bed, large chest of drawers, chaise longue, arm chairs, wardrobe, dressing table and chair. A private corridor leads to both the en suite bathroom with large walk in shower, double ended roll top bath with hand held shower, heated towel rail,wc and shave point, and a spacious sitting room with sofas and chaise longue, books, TV and a great selection of children's games and toys.
- The Dragon Bedroom includes an Emperor bed, chest of drawers, arm chair, wardrobe, dressing table and chair. There is an en suite with large shower with both rain and hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail and shave point.
- Two steps lead up from the main landing is a Jack and Jill bathroom with roll-top bath with hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., radiator, towel rail and shave point is located beside bedroom 5, close to the top of the main staircase. A door leads from the bathroom to
- The Wayfarer Bedroom has a king sized sleigh bed, corner wardrobe, table and chair. There is a door leading to the Jack and Jill bathroom and another to the landing (2 steps down).
- The Loch Long Bedroom An antique French Emperor sized bed which can be converted into 2 large single beds, dressing table and chair, large armoire, easy chair. Door to:
- En suite bathroom with large walk in shower with rain and hand held shower, basin, w.c., heated towel rail and shave point.
- This bedroom accesses the second staircase which leads down to the breakfast room.
- A pair of gates lead into the drive and the front doors. A drive to the left leads to a parking area with space for at least 6 cars.
- There is a secret garden surrounded by yew hedging, a sunken garden, a private lawn and a large lawned garden with croquet overlooked by a large terrace with seating for all the visitors, barbecue, outside table tennis.
- A gate leads to the orchard where there is a variety of ancient apple and other fruit trees. Here too, an outdoor table tennis table is set on the patio.
- Charcoal BBQ and firepit, umbrella
- A state of the art open sourced heat pump, drawing warm ground water from the house well runs to provide the house with hot water and central heating, there is also an emergency gas boiler and log fires in both the sitting room and drawing room. There is an electric AGA and a gas range so you can cook even if there is a temporary power cut. Baskets of logs are provided. A small starter pack of charcoal for the BBQ is also provided.
- Hotel quality Isabella bed linen and fluffy towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. For infants, one highchair, one travelcot and one stairgate are provided. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Welcome hamper and toiletries. There is also a hairdryer for each room.
- Kitchen is fully stocked with herbs, spices, jams, chutneys etc on a use and replace basis
- Looking for a special dinner or a relaxing lunch? Various catering options are available at your property - please call for details
- A hot tub can be hired for use at the property: http://www.holidayhottubhire.co.uk
- A day's yachting can be arranged - timings dependent on tides. Wonderful views - a superb day out for all the family - please call for details
- There is large selection of books, games and films for all the family
Unlimited rapid Wifi available throughout the house
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
ACT Studios Family & Friends Photography
Make your special holidays last beautifully forever with a fun one hour professional photography session at the location you choose. We meet you there.
Charlotte Atkinson Nordic Walking Experience with British Nordic Walking qualified instructor.
Learn the basics of Nordic Walking - an activity for everyone with multiple benefits for your health!
Southwold Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages at Southwold Golf Club
Enjoy unlimited golf at this lovely seaside golf course with our exclusive packages from only £49 per person.
Valley Farm Vineyards Vineyard Tour and Tasting
Take a tour of this charming Suffolk vineyard, meet the owner and enjoy a bottle of their latest vintage and a picnic amongst the vines..